New car with leak.

I noticed a drip of oil in the driveway under my 2018 Ford Taurus with 8100 miles. It is leaking on the timing cover, I bought the car new had it for 10 months, I changed the oil one time. I install a premium guard oil filter and 5w 30 do you think Ford would bother to test the oil and blam the filter for the leak to void warranty?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mpack88
I noticed a drip of oil in the driveway under my 2018 Ford Taurus with 8100 miles. It is leaking on the timing cover, I bought the car new had it for 10 months, I changed the oil one time. I install a premium guard oil filter and 5w 30 do you think Ford would bother to test the oil and blam the filter for the leak to void warranty?

That's just not the way it works. This BITOG paranoia runs so deep here even people who do everything right are afraid of warranty work denials.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
mpack88 said:
That's just not the way it works. This BITOG paranoia runs so deep here even people who do everything right are afraid of warranty work denials.

LOL they forget (or never knew) that dealers MAKE MONEY on warranty work. Maybe not as much as non-warranty, but profit nonetheless.

Originally Posted by PimTac
"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out the line, the men come and take you away"

Buffalo Springfield - For What Its Worth

Thank you good sir.
cheers3.gif

If it bothers you that much just go and grab a motorcraft filter from walmart for $5 and screw it on. But either way, you won't have any issues.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Take it to the dealer for warranty repair. The oil filter not being a Motorcraft will not void the warranty.

This right here. Worked for Ford years ago, and unless something has drastically changed that the indie world hasn't found out about, I've never heard of Ford warranty wanting an oil sample. Even if that was something they did, it would make no sense to sample oil for an external leak. The only way I could see them denying coverage is if the filter you installed was leaking.

As others have said the car is still under warranty and at least in the US you are allowed to use a non OEM filters and still enjoy the benefit of it unless the dealer can prove the part you used caused the failure. A quality brand non OEM oil filter or non original equipment tires aren't the type of things even a cautious service Manager would flag, they look out for intakes, cat and muffler deletes, COBB access ports and other canned tunes, or damage indicative of severe offroad or heavy track use, that type of thing.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by mpack88

YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Originally Posted by PimTac
"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out the line, the men come and take you away"

Buffalo Springfield - For What Its Worth

Two for the price of one..................Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'd bring it back, just make certain the oil level is correct before bringing it in, and don't lose a minute of sleep over it.

Back