At a Crossroad with My F-150; sell or keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cujet
The phasers can still rattle even when new. It's noticeable when driving slowly along side a wall with the window open.

The vibration at low rpm is a weird one. Not sure what to think. My truck has a 5-star tune on it. So it does not upshift into too high a gear anymore. It also opens the throttle fully below 4500rpm. Something it won't do without a tune.

I have heard of tuning for the vibration issue, that's interesting. Plus, I'm sure even more enjoyable to drive!

I personally have no patience for cars that constantly give me problems. If I were in your position, I'd get rid of it.

Originally Posted by buster
I personally have no patience for cars that constantly give me problems. If I were in your position, I'd get rid of it.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me either!

Originally Posted by CKN

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me either!

I'm on the lookout for good deals to replace it, we shall see.

Typically you can't really glean anything about misfires on a Ford without taking a look at the Mode 6 data, which will show actual misfire counts (that won't trigger a CEL) per cylinder. This is how we found 2 of the 3 dead coils in my Expedition.

Ford now has a "Cylinder Contribution Test" that shows live misfire data that's very similar to the system GM has used forever, It became pretty standard by 2007 IIRC. I'm sure if the year is wrong......Someone will correct me
smile.gif

In fact, this is generally good advice. Especially when we "step back" and review vehicle costs on a true cost per mile basis. Many mistakenly believe they are "saving money" by operating older and less efficient vehicles. Careful cost analysis is required, and it must include insurance, repairs, maintenance, residual value, fuel economy, and possibly some intangibles, such as lost time.

A weekend under the vehicle could also be spent earning money, for example.

The one thing that is not clear to me is whether he now has actual problems or not. My similar truck certainly has a few quirks, but it's been stone reliable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Ford now has a "Cylinder Contribution Test" that shows live misfire data that's very similar to the system GM has used forever, It became pretty standard by 2007 IIRC. I'm sure if the year is wrong......Someone will correct me
smile.gif

LOL, I remember EEC-IV had a cylinder contribution test for the SEFI ECM's, would shut off individual cylinders and track RPM drop. It wasn't COP, so it couldn't cut spark, so it killed the injector.

Really weird how Ford did the misfire tracking on later EEC implementations when they went COP. It should have been setup to provide far more useful data than it did.

Boy.....It's been awhile since I messed with a EEC-IV, But I do remember that & was quite advanced at the time.

Mode 6 & EEC-V wasn't all that bad if you knew how to manipulate it which was a learning curve for me after being a GM dealer tech for so many years.
I looked at it as a 3 part system.....In Use Performance Tracking (Live PID Data), DTC self tests (KOEO & KOER), And Failure Counters (Mode 6).

EEC-VI is pretty advanced & I really like it, Besides the live misfire data......The Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor saves a ton of diagnostic time. No more hooking a pressure gauge up & routing it into the passenger compartment!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Wow, you are in a tight spot.
I like keeping them alive.
New trucks, for me, are too nice to use as trucks.
I loan my old Tundra out all the time; it is on loan right now.
Not sure I could do this on a new one...

On another note, you can do real well on a 2019 right now.
An F150, SuperCrew 4WD with the 2.7 or 3.5 EcoBoost sounds real good to me.
I hear that 10 speed is real sweet.
Is it in the budget?

Trust me they are not too nice. Mine is showing wear and tear at 15 months of service. It's part of owning a pick up not a BMW 5 series.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Boy.....It's been awhile since I messed with a EEC-IV, But I do remember that & was quite advanced at the time.

Mode 6 & EEC-V wasn't all that bad if you knew how to manipulate it which was a learning curve for me after being a GM dealer tech for so many years.
I looked at it as a 3 part system.....In Use Performance Tracking (Live PID Data), DTC self tests (KOEO & KOER), And Failure Counters (Mode 6).

EEC-VI is pretty advanced & I really like it, Besides the live misfire data......The Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor saves a ton of diagnostic time. No more hooking a pressure gauge up & routing it into the passenger compartment!

thumbsup2.gif
Agreed. I have a ton of EEC-IV experience (fox body scene) and a fair bit with V and VI due to vehicles we've owned. I actually have the EEC-IV "bible" here somewhere that goes over the design and operation fundamentals.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Surprised you're even having to ask this question.

Get rid of it.

That's where I'm leaning and I'm working on it, but just as I thought and some of you suggested; major low-balling on the trade. I'll keep looking or possibly sell it private party we'll see

Originally Posted by panthermike
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Surprised you're even having to ask this question.

Get rid of it.

That's where I'm leaning and I'm working on it, but just as I thought and some of you suggested; major low-balling on the trade. I'll keep looking or possibly sell it private party we'll see

Yeah, par for the course unfortunately. Can you go ahead and get something else now and just take your time selling it to a private party?

Originally Posted by JasonC
How bad are they low balling you? My guess is they are offering $8-10k.

KBB is 13.5-15K. Most offers so far are around 11K.

The issue is that KBB doesn't have a valuation that includes a problem like yours.

11K IS NOT BAD.

Originally Posted by CKN

The issue is that KBB doesn't have a valuation that includes a problem like yours.

11K IS NOT BAD.

This situation has happened before on BITOG-guys expecting a high value when a vehicle has issues. There was a guy trading in a Genesis on here-and the dealer low balled him because of the cars paint. I believe he ended up selling it to a private part for even less than the dealer offered.

I'm an IT guy who spends an inordinate amount of time combing firewall and router logs, so the first thing that comes to mind is some real time logging or monitoring of data as the problem occurs. I mean like, have a laptop plugged in while the problem is happening. Don't know anything about Fords so not sure if that's possible, but if it is, I would pursue it. Not sure if that is what the "Mode 6" data that other posters are mentioning, but if it is, I would pursue that.

After seeing the market and what that entails to get out of the vehicle, I've changed my mind. Even with a good deal on the Rams, I would have to incur $10,000 in repairs over the next 5 years just to break even. I doubt I will as it does have a new longblock, so even if the trans had to be replaced still coming out way ahead. Normally, in these situations I would do whatever it takes to get out of a vehicle. But things are different now, and the idea of starting over, even with a new vehicle is not exciting to me.

I'm going to start with plugs, boots and springs. Then, I'll have Ford check out the vibration.

I'd like to thank all who have given advice in this situation.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back