Oil Temperature Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2017 Jetta, 1.8 Turbo. When you cycle through the Driver Information they give you a number for the
oil temperature. What would be a good number? Thank you

Depends on the vehicle.. some engines can run as hot as 225'ish just fine, some like mine, rarely see oil temps above 210'ish. Whatever the case may be, oil begins to (thermally) break down at/around 250 for a dino and around 300 for a full synthetic IIRC.

What does your owners manual say and what is your concern exactly, if i may ask?

Last edited:
A little bit different engine, but still same platform the 2.0T in my GTI runs normally around 220-225 in the hottest part of the summer and low 200's in the winter. 230 has been my highest dogging the snot out of it.

Whole nuther animal, twin engine boat, 502's not running hard at all around 3K RPM'S oil temp will get to 250-265. Coolant temps (unlimited lake water supply) well under 200. Mobil 1 15w-50.

Driven plenty of CAT, Cummins, Paccar class 8 engines that will get to 250 oil temp on a hard pull. Most with dino 15w-40.

Last edited:
If I keep my 335 revved at 4-5k rpm I can get the oil up to 255F. Only managed that once. In the summer normal driving it runs a very solid 235-245, winter maybe 215.

Original turbos at 212k, although every other oil seal has been replaced at least once. Lots of expansion and contraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back