Oils With Most Moly and No Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of the major oils (those you can purchase in Walmart, NAPA, Autozone) have the most Moly? Which have no Moly?

I want to do an experiment on my own and run some OCI's with a "most Moly" oil and run another one with a "no moly" oil.

OK, I am getting caught up in the quest of the quietest oil...

VFS 5w30 has moly and a good shot of titanum plus the upper limits of zinc and phosphorus. They seem pretty quiet in my truck/car.

Most moly at walmart would be Rotella Gas Truck (not Rotella T6 diesel oil, the gas truck one only).
HDEO diesel engine oils many times have little to no moly. If they say motorcycle JASO MA on them, they don't have moly, & I thought some diesel oils said that, and of course motorcycle oils.
For "sound tests", viscosity should not be a variable. Magnatec has claimed a slightly quieter result in some of their marketing info, and those have normal moly and some titanium, with an organic friction modifier maybe.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Start your search at the PQIA web site.

From what I saw a lot of their info years old?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
The general consensus is gonna be SOPUS products,
and then Valvoline Products

That might have been the case a couple of years ago.

If you really want to do a "noise study", then get Zepro 0w20 with 700 ppm moly (do not buy the dexos1 version, get this one:)
https://www.amazon.com/ZEPRO-30010095-95300C020-Medalist-Advanced-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B072QXMJBS
and its from Amazon for easy 2-day delivery for Prime Members or get it in a week, kinda easy to get I think.

Then, get a 0w20 with a "normal" low amount of moly at walmart, like SuperTech 0w20 or Mobil1 AFE 0w20 for comparison. Then there might be enough moly to make a difference in the test.

Actually you want to test the low-moly oil first so there isn't leftover moly from the Zepro. Test Zepro second.

(If you have a 5w30 engine, then simply add in 1 bottle of STP blue bottle oil treatment from walmart to make it a 5w30 and continue on.)

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Start your search at the PQIA web site.

From what I saw a lot of their info years old?

Yea, their data has gone rotten on the shelf but I noticed they did a new batch of test's this summer. Problem for me is most of their test's now are on 0w and 5w-20.

Pyb,Qsad,and FS appear to be clones,identical triplets per se. Exact same ppm of moly (around 170-180),same zddp,viscosity,tbn,etc.

Originally Posted by paoester
If you really want to do a "noise study", then get Zepro 0w20 with 700 ppm moly (do not buy the dexos1 version, get this one:)
https://www.amazon.com/ZEPRO-30010095-95300C020-Medalist-Advanced-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B072QXMJBS
and its from Amazon for easy 2-day delivery for Prime Members or get it in a week, kinda easy to get I think.

Then, get a 0w20 with a "normal" low amount of moly at walmart, like SuperTech 0w20 or Mobil1 AFE 0w20 for comparison. Then there might be enough moly to make a difference in the test.

Actually you want to test the low-moly oil first so there isn't leftover moly from the Zepro. Test Zepro second.

(If you have a 5w30 engine, then simply add in 1 bottle of STP blue bottle oil treatment from walmart to make it a 5w30 and continue on.)

He's looking for oils off the shelf at China Mart
They don't sell Zepro

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by paoester

He's looking for oils off the shelf at China Mart
They don't sell Zepro

Paoester, as his name implies, specializes in the obscure and hard to find....‚.. I'm waiting for him to recommend some lube made from ester of Emu fat....‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Davejam
I had a similar request recently in this post.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5255753/1

Zepro Adv Moly is an option if you want to buy online.
QSUD used to have ~170ppm moly in 0w-20, but for some reason i can't find it at wally world or even online in that grade.
I went with Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20. It seems to have some shortcomings, but I'm giving it a shot.

Several HiMi formulas contain ~200ppm of moly or more. This 👇 for example contains 258ppm moly per pqia.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Pyb,Qsad,and FS appear to be clones,identical triplets per se. Exact same ppm of moly (around 170-180),same zddp,viscosity,tbn,etc.

Are you talkin "triplets" in total makeup or just moly? I assume FS= formulas shell which is one of my favorite and quietest oils my cars have ever seen.

Excellent advice for the High Molys. Seems like any Pennzoil or Quaker State would be the choices for High Moly.

What are the brand names with NO Moly?

Originally Posted by Gebo
Excellent advice for the High Molys. Seems like any Pennzoil or Quaker State would be the choices for High Moly.

What are the brand names with NO Moly?

The no moly ones readily avaliable here would be

Traveller Conventional & Synthetic (Tractor Supply)
Prime Series Syn Blend (Sam's Club)
Lucas Conventional (NAPA)
Old stock Valvoline Conventional (Walmart still has old stock)
Peak (Big Lots)
Napa Synthetic and Conventional (Napa)
Oreilly Synthetic and Conventional (OReilly)

Some of the Liqui-Molys ironically dont contain Moly iirc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back