Lock/Unlock With Battery Disconnected

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am shipping my vehicle, a 2015 Toyota Tacoma, in a shipping container. I am required to disconnect the battery. Fortunately it will be a sealed container and I can take the keys, but I still want to lock it. Will I be able to lock and unlock the truck with the battery disconnected?

I suppose I could test it, but I don't have any tools with me right now.

Others who answer this will know, I'm only thinking....

that if you couldn't unlock and lock this with a door key you'd have to break the window if the battery failed, so I'm guessing yes.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Toyota doesn't have a backup key in the fob? One that fits in the drivers door?
Yes, they do.
The OP can lock it manually and then unlock it with the key on the other end.

With the battery disconnected nothing electrical should function.

I suggest that manually un/locking the door with the key is the time tested fail proof method.

What I do is:

Pull the hood release cable.
Close all the doors.
Press the lock button on the key fob.
Raise the hood.
Disconnect the battery cable.
Shut the hood.

Good luck!

Hopefully it works with your vehicle. It does with mine.

This makes sense, but I don't want to shut the hood completely, correct?

ull the hood release cable.
Close all the doors.
Raise the hood.
Shut the hood.

Last edited:
Yes that would be easy but the concern is whether he'd be able to unlock it later to open the hood to re-connect the battery.

Worst case you could probably go underneath with a jump pack and clip on to the starter terminal to power up the locks without the battery connected.

The lock will still function with the key and battery disconnected. Only thing it won't do is unlock both doors from the drivers side as there is no power (but it still unlocks the drivers). Also remember if the battery dies you still have to get in there, so naturally they have to make it where you can get in with the key. Even cars without the keyhole present there's modes of getting in.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
With the battery disconnected nothing electrical should function.

I suggest that manually un/locking the door with the key is the time tested fail proof method.

That suggestion seems easy enough.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
This makes sense, but I don't want to shut the hood completely, correct?

Pull the hood release cable.
Close all the doors.
Raise the hood.
Shut the hood.

You can shut the hood. You will be able to unlock your door with the mechanical key to access the hood release again.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
I am shipping my vehicle, a 2015 Toyota Tacoma, in a shipping container. I am required to disconnect the battery. Fortunately it will be a sealed container and I can take the keys, but I still want to lock it. Will I be able to lock and unlock the truck with the battery disconnected?

I suppose I could test it, but I don't have any tools with me right now.

Yes. All vehicles are supposed to be capable of manual (un)locking in the event of an emergency. Think submerged or accident that kills power.

Worst case scenario (suppose you were without key for some reason), call your roadside assistance provider. They'll get you back in to your ride. They'll use a wedge and hook... takes maybe 30sec.

Always lock your car when shipping it..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back