Continental VikingContact 7 Comes to N. America

Originally Posted by SubLGT
Here are some performance rankings from the 2018 winter tire tests at TestWorld:

Conti VC7 ranked #1 on ice, #1 on snow, and #4 on wet/dry.

Nokian R3 ranked #3 on ice, #2 on snow, and #2 on wet/dry.

Goodyear UGI2 ranked #6 on ice, #3 on snow, and #1 on wet/dry.

Michelin Xi3 ranked #8 on ice, #7 on snow, and #3 on wet/dry.

https://www.motor.no/artikler/2018/september/slik-rangeres-dekkene-ulik-foreforhold/

Thanks for the infoðŸ‘

I just bought Vikingcontact 7 for my wife's Volvo S60.
We shall see how it works in central MA.

Krzys

Originally Posted by krzyss
I just bought Vikingcontact 7 for my wife's Volvo S60.
We shall see how it works in central MA.

Krzys

Give us feedback. I am not due to replacement this winter, but next one I am throwing Nokian's from Tiguan and looking for another tire. Sienna might be due to replacement depending how many skiing days I get this winter.

I'm still on the fence between the Viking Contact 7 and the Pilot Alpin 5 SUV for my CX-5. I realize they're different classes of tire, but that's my conundrum - either way, I'm rolling the dice on whether this winter is going to be more warm and wet or more cold and icy. The extra $160 for the PA5 might be the deciding factor, but it's still a coin flip.

Originally Posted by leeharvey418
I'm still on the fence between the Viking Contact 7 and the Pilot Alpin 5 SUV for my CX-5. I realize they're different classes of tire, but that's my conundrum - either way, I'm rolling the dice on whether this winter is going to be more warm and wet or more cold and icy. The extra $160 for the PA5 might be the deciding factor, but it's still a coin flip.

If the price difference was less, if Michelin offered a rebate to offset some of the difference, would it still be a coin flip?
smile.gif

It sounds like you want the PA5 but are considering the Vikings because they're cheaper. What size tires will you be using?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
It sounds like you want the PA5 but are considering the Vikings because they're cheaper. What size tires will you be using?

I think I've reached the point in my life where $160 doesn't seem like that much money, because it's really not about justifying the higher cost of the Michelins. Honestly, if the Continentals were the same price, I'd still have the same mixed feelings. Odds are that I'll be mostly driving on clear or wet pavement for most of the winter, and the PA5 would be the better choice. Still, though, the extra traction of the VC7 would be great insurance against a couple of ugly storms.

I'll probably go with a 235/55R19 - the little bit of observation I've done has indicated that tires in that size are more likely to have rim protectors than are the stock size of 225/55R19. Plus, that extra quarter inch of sidewall height doesn't hurt in the event that I hit a nasty pothole.

I don't understand why they haven't started bringing their best winter tires over here yet, at least to Canada too.

Originally Posted by leeharvey418
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

I think I've reached the point in my life where $160 doesn't seem like that much money, because it's really not about justifying the higher cost of the Michelins. Honestly, if the Continentals were the same price, I'd still have the same mixed feelings. Odds are that I'll be mostly driving on clear or wet pavement for most of the winter, and the PA5 would be the better choice. Still, though, the extra traction of the VC7 would be great insurance against a couple of ugly storms.

I'll probably go with a 235/55R19 - the little bit of observation I've done has indicated that tires in that size are more likely to have rim protectors than are the stock size of 225/55R19. Plus, that extra quarter inch of sidewall height doesn't hurt in the event that I hit a nasty pothole.

A Canadian site called 1010tires has the Continental TS850P. Conti's counterpart to the PA5. Shipping to the US for $15/tire. Available in both sizes you're considering. Although they are not listed as in-stock right now, they may become available as people start buying winter tires. I don't know when the popular time is to buy them, but it does still seem a bit early to panic.

Originally Posted by Pew
I don't understand why they haven't started bringing their best winter tires over here yet, at least to Canada too.

They do have them in Canada! 1010 carries the Vikings as well as the TS850P, and bunch of tires from other brands that we don't get in the US

Awesome. Thanks for the thoughts.

I had never really considered 1010tires because of the PITA factor of shipping across the border. If it's something they do regularly, I'm more likely to give it a shot.

The 2019 winter tire test results are beginning to appear. The Swedish automotive magazine Vi Bilagare tested 7 studded tires, and also included one studless tire, the VikingContact 7. A summary can be found at this Russian website:

https://shina.guide/press/20932/#more-20932 (Google Translate can do a decent job)

Among this mixed test group of 8 tires, the studless VikingContact 7 ranked:
#1 in dry braking
#6 in wet braking
#8 in resistance to hydroplaning
#1 in acceleration on snow
#2 in braking on snow
#2 on the snow handling course
#7 in acceleration on smooth ice ( @ -7C to -13C )
#4 in braking on smooth ice ( @ -7C to -13C )
#1 on the rough ice handling course ( @ -9C to -14C )

Temperatures during ice traction testing ranged from 19F down to 7F, and are favorable for a studless tire. AT 30F the ice test results would be a lot less impressive.

...At the end of February 2019, in the north of Sweden, experts from the local Vi Bilägare edition (translated from Swedish "We are car owners") tested winter studded tires of size 225/50 R17.

In addition to seven [studded] models, one friction [studless tire] was included in the test, winning the tests of the Swedish non-studded tire magazine in 2018 . Despite the absence of anti-skid studs, she was able to show a very high result in the final situation. However, first things first.

List of tested winter models:

Sailun IceBlazer WST3
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9
Michelin X-Ice North 4
Hankook Winter i * Pike RS2 W429
Goodyear UltraGrip Ice Arctic
Continental VikingContact 7 - (friction)
Continental IceContact 3 - (new 2019/2020)
Bridgestone Noranza 001

Last edited:
Continental has $70 rebate/card for a set of four with many tires on it including the VC7. Discount tire has the $50 back also if you use the DTD card plus the free shipping.

I just ordered 4 of the Viking Contact 7's for my son's Kia Forte so I can get him set when he comes home before Thanksgiving and goes back to college. He was used to his CRV with Altimax 12's and more ground clearance so comparison will be harder. Either way I know I got him some highly rated shoes.

'Tis the season- my Cousin in Montana has pictures of him and his friends on the snowmobiles already. Not so much by me in NY yet but will be here before we know it.

Canadian Tire in Canada is selling the Continental VIKING CONTACT 7 alongside what they list as the Continental WinterContact Si PLUS. Looks just like the old Wintercontact Si.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by geeman789
Canadian Tire in Canada is selling the Continental VIKING CONTACT 7 alongside what they list as the Continental WinterContact Si PLUS. Looks just like the old Wintercontact Si.

[Linked Image]

Probably updated compound.

Viking Contact 7s are on Volvo S60.
Dry, backroads (up to 55mph) are very similar to Xi3 that we had on other cars.

We may have snow Thursday/Friday and then I will know more about them.

KrzyÅ›

Next year I am replacing Nokian's Hakka R2 on my wife's Tiguan as they are starting to sound like CFM's on Airbus or Boeing. It is going to be Viking or new Michelin winter tire. We will see what Michelin comes out with.

Originally Posted by edyvw
......We will see what Michelin comes out with.

The 2019 Global Tire Expo is going on this week in Las Vegas as part of the 2019 SEMA event. Will have to wait and see if Michelin makes any announcements.

I just bought a set of viking contact 7's for the 2020 elantra.

They are available at DT and DTD even if you cant find them on the website (phone order for me)

I could have gotten the wintercontact si for $69 vs $86 for the viking7
Michelin xice xi3 were significantly more.

Right now DT has a 70 conti rebate,
and a 50$ winter tire rebate (with discount tire credit card)

I downsized to 195/65r15 from the oem 205/55r16

Originally Posted by SubLGT
Originally Posted by edyvw
......We will see what Michelin comes out with.

The 2019 Global Tire Expo is going on this week in Las Vegas as part of the 2019 SEMA event. Will have to wait and see if Michelin makes any announcements.

Will see. I still might go with Xi3 even if they do not introduce anything. I cannot explain you how not ready I am to do another purchase in Discount Tires.

I had a chance to drive on wet snow today. The Vikings seem to be no worse than Xi3.
Now if Continental managed similar treadwear as Michelin that would be nice.

Krzys

Back