Mobil Delvac1300 Super 15w40, Kubota V2203, 107 hrs

Mobil Delvac1300 Super 15w40, Kubota V2203, 107 hrs on oil.

This oil is out of a liquid cooled Kubota 4 cyl diesel engine that drives the generator head of our 17.5kw PowerTech generator in our motorhome. They are very common engines used for yrs in tractors, Bobcats, etc. This engines hobbs meter indicated 12868 hrs when this first oil sample was taken.

The first results are from OAI, and the second are from JG Lub Services. I believe both companies use Polaris Laboratories.

These are the only 2 UOA that we've done on this equipment. We have only owned this equipment for the previous 400 hrs. We don't know its mx history before that. Runs great, doesn't consume any oil, nothing coming out the slobber tube, 7 qt sump, and I change the oil & filter every 100 to 125 hrs. I didn't have any real reason to send in an oil sample except for the HIGH # of hrs on the hobbs meter. I'm glad I did. OAI commented that bearing material, copper & lead, were at a SEVERE level. Its normal mx on diesel engines to replacing the rod bearings at half life. So I dropped the pan, changed them, replaced oil and filter with the same, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40. 1 yr and 100 hrs later we sent in the second sample, this time to JG lubricant services, and all is good to go.

What say you?

Mobil Delvac1300 Super 15w40
Code

LAB OAI JG

Date 5-18 6-19

Lube hrs 107 100

Total hrs 12.8k 12.9k

WEAR METALS-PPM

Iron 2.........4

Copper 9.....…...0

Alum 3.........1

Lead 103........1

CONTAMINANT METALS-PPM

Silicon 13........7

Sodium 6......….3

Potassium 2........0

MULTI SOURCE METALS

Molybdenum 33.........39

Boron 51.........62

ADDITIVE METALS-PPM

Magnesium 395.......510

Calcium 1901.....1682

Phosph 1035.......755

Zinc 1152.......795

V100C 14.7.....13.2

IR Oxidation 13.......16

IR Nitra 6........6

TBN 7.98.....8.12

TSC had a decent price on the 2-1/2 gallon jug yesterday

1A19E433-80D8-468A-B9B6-B01DA13F40B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice job on catching those bearings...

Rock Auto has COS7328 Champion oil filters, which are equivalent to HH164-32430...
$1.32, but watch the shipping...
COS7328

They also have COS8a, which are twice the length of the Kubota filter...
COS8a

Last edited:
12,868 hours on the Kubota engine at he halfway mark . If it were a car engine averaging 35 MPH that would be over 450,000 miles on the engine.

In the future I'll probably increase the OCI to 250-300 hrs.

The oil filter I've been using is a Fram XG3593A which has 20mm x 1.5mm threads. Base gasket is 2.125" i.d. and 2.422 o.d.. It's only 3.39" tall. Any body know of a x-tall that has these specs?
Originally Posted by 4WD
TSC had a decent price on the 2-1/2 gallon jug yesterday

I got u beat.
I go thru a lot of oil/yr(see my signature?), so in recent yrs I look for deep discounts, not just WalMart size discounts. I purchased the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 in 2018 for $10/gal. I also purchase 25 gals of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 for $5/gal. I took advantage of a NAPA sale combined with a Mobil mail-in rebate program. Mobil mailed me a check for $242.SWEET!! The Mobil mail-in rebate program for 2019 isn't as generous. But, I have already taken advantage of it and an O'Reillys sale to purchase Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w30 for $13/gal. The oil I have on hand now will last me to 2021
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wdn
12,868 hours on the Kubota engine at he halfway mark . If it were a car engine averaging 35 MPH that would be over 450,000 miles on the engine.

Most "good" diesels are million mile engines before they need an full overhaul. "Great" ones 1.5 to 2 million.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Baldwin B1431 or Luber Finer LF486 is 4 inches long, but they are impossible to find

I use Wix 51356, but Rock Auto has COS3593a filters for $1.33

Watch the shipping costs, and the "Private Label" Wix are different from regular Wix

COS3593a

Impressive wear after the rework.

This is a good example of how wear metals can be a signal to those whom really pay attention. There are folks here whom would have us believe that UOAs are not a good tool to discern wear; to that, I say "poppycock". It's nice to see that the rod bearings were the root cause, rather than having to go in deeper for mains, cam bearings, etc.

Generators in this type of use are typically loaded between 25% to 75% in duty cycle; it all depends on how many appliances they are running while in use such as the A/C units, the refrigerator, other 110v items, etc. It's hard at times to gauge hours on a meter to some manner of road driven equivalent. Also, 12.9k hours seems like a lot, but really it's only about 1.5 years of constant running. You state you had around 100 hours of use in a year's time; that's interesting. Is this typical of your use? At your rate of 100 hours per year, it would have taken 129 years to accumulate those hours. Did you put the 400 hours on the unit in roughly 4 years? The previous owner must have done a lot of boondocking.

At the rate you're using it, you'll never have to change those bearings again! It will serve you well for years to come.
Congrats and enjoy the RV life!

Yes, the original owner must have done a lot of boondocking. I was told he was the owner/operator of a small mobile regionally operated(GA) amusement park. When we purchased the bus less than 6 yrs ago the genny had 12400 hrs and the odometer had 66,500. Not much driving. But it doesn't look lived in either.

I've never seen or heard a MH gen with more than 3000 hrs on it. So when I was trying to decide what price to offer the seller for the bus, I called PowerTech and asked should I be worried and budget for a overhaul. They said these gens are on yachts an go to 25k hrs all the time. Evidently MH owners don't us gens like yacht owners.

We're putting about 200 hrs a yr on it currently. In the past, much less.

I'll try to post soon the 3 UOA that I've done on its 12.7L 470hp 1995 Detroit Diesel 60 series.

That engine will last forever. Those pre EGR S60s are probably one of the best engines ever made.

very impressive all around. Obviously a great engine, great maintenance and performance. Well done. Keep it up.

Originally Posted by jetman
Yes, the original owner must have done a lot of boondocking. I was told he was the owner/operator of a small mobile regionally operated(GA) amusement park. When we purchased the bus less than 6 yrs ago the genny had 12400 hrs and the odometer had 66,500. Not much driving. But it doesn't look lived in either.

I've never seen or heard a MH gen with more than 3000 hrs on it. So when I was trying to decide what price to offer the seller for the bus, I called PowerTech and asked should I be worried and budget for a overhaul. They said these gens are on yachts an go to 25k hrs all the time. Evidently MH owners don't us gens like yacht owners.

We're putting about 200 hrs a yr on it currently. In the past, much less.

I'll try to post soon the 3 UOA that I've done on its 12.7L 470hp 1995 Detroit Diesel 60 series.

Well most fullt-ime MH owners spend a majority of their time hooked up to shore-power (land power) in a campsite, so the gennys only run during transport sessions from site to site. Whereas a yacht has no such luxury if she's "out to sea" (hence no shore power) so they run a great deal more. Having a boat and not leaving the dock is akin to owning the RV and not leaving your driveway. But when the RV finds a place to stay, it's likely to have shore-power; not so if the craft is afloat in the sea/ocean/lake/river/bay ...

Overall I'd say the little Kubota is doing fine, and given your much lower expected use, it'll outlast your intend use.

As for the DD60; those also are great engines and last a LONG time with just general routine maintenance. One of the true greats in the diesel world.

I found some filters that are longer than the XG3593A and should work.
Wix # 51318 = 4.9" long, fits John Deere Loader Model 244E and 84
Wix # 51344 = 4.1" long
Wix # 51568 = 4.1" long
Fleetguard # 16354 = 4.1" long
Cross them over to your favorite

Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Doesn't the 2203 in a genset have a 250hr OCI?

Every 100 hrs according to the original sticker that was on the genny..
Mind you, oil and filters have improved greatly since 1996.
[Linked Image]

Back