Anyone connect grill to house gas supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cousin of mine who is a refrigeration tech told me that if the original propane system has any copper tubing in it you have to change to steel pipe before you can run natural gas. Natural gas is not compatible with copper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
My setup is propane. Filled up my house's tank last month for $.89 a gallon.

Best I can do around here for grill tanks is about $15 at TSC. So far, I've used 5 tanks this year, but I grill year round too.

That is obscenely cheap at 89 cents a gallon. I paid $2.06 for 250 gallons last month and I was thrilled.

Natural gas is normally regulated to 3.5 inches water column and propane 9 to 11in WC. A propane flame is more concentrated than nat gas so seems hotter. Then there is burner design, some are better suited for one gas or another but most burners for cooking light and burn equally well on either gas. As to having a regulator at the appliance the nat gas reg at the service entrance is usually set to 7 in WC. Look up the over pressured gas main in northern Mass for a reason to have pressure regulation.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
A cousin of mine who is a refrigeration tech told me that if the original propane system has any copper tubing in it you have to change to steel pipe before you can run natural gas. Natural gas is not compatible with copper.

That seems like an odd statement. I've never seen a NG water heater that didn't use a copper gas line. In my previous home there was copper tubing running to my NG grill for 13 years and no problems.

Last edited:
I grew up in a house that has a natural gas grill. I forget if it was installed as part of the house when it was built in 1969, or if it was added in the early 80's.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Just as the title says, has anyone done this?

I've done a little Googling and one guy simply removed the grill's regulator and attached it to a yellow flex line. Seems like there should be some sort of regulator or safety shutoff valve, but aside from that the job looks pretty straight forward.

Decades ago my parents had natural gas grills, for, well, decades, hooked up to the house gas line.
Get a plumber. you Also need a grill made for natural gas and/or the proper regulator. Get a plumber to do it right, for the once in a lifetime switch over and you will be saving money forever.

Last edited:
I know someone who did this but they have one of those outdoor kitchen setups so it's not just a grill. They have burners too plus gas heaters to keep the chill off in cooler weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back