Problems with universal ATF in Volvos

Good data point. I took a 2002 Volvo S40 to over 200K with regular Toyota T-IV fluid changes. It's still serving the next driver. The Toyota T-IV was never more than $5-6 a quart from the Toyota dealer.

I just did a full flush with Maxlife to replace the G 055 540 A2 (WS) inside the Touareg's Aisin at 80k miles and it shifts beautifully. I performed an adaptation reset when my fluid change was complete.

Did he?

My wife's Volvo now has 250,000 miles on its original AW-55 transmission.

I would only recommend Toyota T-IV (or Mobil 3309, or an actual JWS-3309 fluid) for a car that had "lifetime fluid" and specified JWS-3309 fluid. Saving a few pennies, or trying to get a "better" fluid leads to trouble.

Further, the fluid level on the P2 chassis is notoriously hard to get right. 200ml separates low and overfilled and the level is very temperature sensitive. An IR gun, or Volvo's VIDA diagnostic software, are very helpful in getting it right.

Her XC70, from the years known for transmission troubles, shifts perfectly.

Last edited:
Someone else on here had an issue they thought was caused by using Maxlife in an Aisin transmission, but turned out to be the level wasn't quite right.
crazy2.gif

It also doesn't say which Transmax he used. Castrol uses the Transmax name for all their ATF. There is the popular Import Multi, which is a syn blend, and there is also a full synthetic Castrol. The syn blend might indeed be toast by 40k, while the full synthetic should last longer.

The best way to do it is probably when cold, first thing in the morning. Drain the ATF, measure it, and replace it with the exact same amount. Transmission dipsticks aren't always accurate.

I've used Valvoline Import Multivehicle with success in a Volvos that require a JWS-3309.

It has a different viscosity than MaxLife, which meets Dex VI and Toyota WS.

The Import Multivehicle is both synthetic and actually meets JWS-3309. Or, it used to. Haven't bought it in a while.

But the wrong level will make any fluid perform badly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
I've used Valvoline Import Multivehicle with success in a Volvos that require a JWS-3309.

It has a different viscosity than MaxLife, which meets Dex VI and Toyota WS.

The Import Multivehicle is both synthetic and actually meets JWS-3309. Or, it used to. Haven't bought it in a while.

But the wrong level will make any fluid perform badly.

See, this is my thought as well. Though MaxLife says it is suitable for T-IV, it's clear to me that Import Multivehicle would have been the more appropriate fluid.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

See, this is my thought as well. Though MaxLife says it is suitable for T-IV, it's clear to me that Import Multivehicle would have been the more appropriate fluid.

This is why I have a problem with Valvoline.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

This is why I have a problem with Valvoline.

I have had trouble finding people with anecdotes about import multi vehicle, but it seems everyone and their dog had put maxlife into something and that's why on top of the recommendation on the bottle, maxlife is consistently recommended by word of mouth. When someone attempts to do research on these atfs, the first thing that pops up when Valvoline import multi vehicle is looked up is the for sale bar. On this bar there is a quart of the import atf with 0 reviews, then maxlife with 210 reviews and almost 5 stars. The majority of people who don't go into the viscosities, add packs and friction modifiers of their specific atf look at the massive gap of usage and knowledge on the two and automatically go with maxlife because of the widespread experience.

Who can blame everyone for going with what we know more about when it is still recommended. Obviously the BITOG community digs a bit deeper usually to which I'd agree import multi vehicle looks like the more suitable fluid.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHARE VALVOLINE IMPORT EXPERIENCES the only forums I can find of these are 2014 and 2012.

Last edited:
I've owned two Volvo V70 wagons. Both received cooler line exchanges with JWS 3309 approved fluids every 30,000 with a drain and fill at 15,000. They shifted perfectly and still do. I'm in touch with the owner of one of the cars. It now has 225,000 miles. The transmission still shifts flawlessly.

I love the guy complaining about the location of the AT dipstick, [censored] never buy a Volvo again, and in the same breath mentions how the BMW was better even though it doesnt even offer a dipstick.

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHARE VALVOLINE IMPORT EXPERIENCES the only forums I can find of these are 2014 and 2012.

Thought I did that already...

In February of this year, at 240,000 miles, I completely flushed (cooler line exchange) the transmission of my wife's Volvo XC. The car now has 250,000 miles on it and it shifts perfectly. It is the original transmission with a valve body that was rebuilt at 110,000.

I used Valvoline Import Multivehicle. It took 12 quarts. I carefully set the level when done.

So, here's your 2019 anecdote with a picture of the exchange going on.

I should add that since we bought the car, in 2007 with 90,000 miles, it has only ever had JWS-3309 specification fluid. Mobil 3309. Toyota T-IV. Now the Valvoline import Multivehicle.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser

Thought I did that already...

In February of this year, at 240,000 miles, I completely flushed (cooler line exchange) the transmission of my wife's Volvo XC. The car now has 250,000 miles on it and it shifts perfectly. It is the original transmission with a valve body that was rebuilt at 110,000.

I used Valvoline Import Multivehicle. It took 12 quarts. I carefully set the level when done.

So, here's your 2019 anecdote with a picture of the exchange going on.

I should add that since we bought the car, in 2007 with 90,000 miles, it has only ever had JWS-3309 specification fluid. Mobil 3309. Toyota T-IV. Now the Valvoline import Multivehicle.

[Linked Image]

I appreciate the added detail and for your sharing. I just wish there were more people like you out there sharing this experience.

I bought 5 jugs of Valvoline Import Multi-blah blah blah 5 years ago when AAP had it on clearance. Did 3 D&F's on my BMW 5HP-24 transmission (LT71141 fluid spec'd) every 35-40k miles, it ran buttery smooth. That tranny was very particular about fluid level, if you had it right is was sweet.

I just did a full flush with Maxlife to replace the G 055 540 A2 (WS) inside the Touareg's Aisin at 80k miles and it shifts beautifully. I performed an adaptation reset when my fluid change was complete.

Did he?

I thought the only time you reset adapts is when the transmission undergoes a rebuild or is replaced? Atleast that is what I see in GM and a few other service manuals. VW is probably different, they are different in a lot of ways lol

We recently replaced all the fluid in a 08 S40 with Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. We did 4 drain and fills, this appears to be the first change for this car as it was recently purchased used with roughly 59k miles on it. The car ran great after with smooth shifts. I'm not sure how many miles since the change but less than 5k. The car did not have any shifting issues, was done as preventive maintenance. And according to Castrol the Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF is listed for JWS3309 fluid transmissions.

CTopher

Originally Posted by GMBoy

Did he?

I thought the only time you reset adapts is when the transmission undergoes a rebuild or is replaced? Atleast that is what I see in GM and a few other service manuals. VW is probably different, they are different in a lot of ways lol

Depends on the unit. For example the ZF 6HP required an adaptation whenever the ATF was serviced and the ZF 8HP does not.

This is an old thread, however I wanted to toss in my .02...I bought a 1998 Volvo S70 in June 2020 from the original owner. Car uses an Aisin AW50-42LE 4 speed transmission. The vehicle had 174,000 miles and looked as if the transmission fluid had never been changed or was severely neglected; it was brownish on the dipstick. I did a drain and refill with Supertech Dexron III ATF of 3.5 qts and noticed an immediate difference in color. I did 2 subsequent drain and refills with Supertech ATF. Again, I used Dexron III spec fluid because I had heard from several sources that switching over to Dexron VI or full synthetic would have disastrous results on seals etc. Well, one month ago I made a leap of faith and did a drain and refill and used Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF. Car now has 196,000 miles and the shifts are better than ever; no problems whatsoever. The MaxLife ATF can be used in Dexron III spec'd transmissions; foreign or domestic with no ill effects...MaxLife ATF has made a believer of me...

The shops I had my VW serviced used their preferred JWS 3309 compatible fluids:

-Pentosin ATF1
-Liqui Moly Top Tec ATF 1200

I just ask those shops to add in some Lubegard Red or Platinum that I bring with me.

Back