B17 crashed at Bradley Airport in Connecticut

Terrible news. I still hope to fly in one of these someday.

This is a shot of Sentimental Journey departing from YWG in August 2013:

IMG_8201.JPG

I think airports need to rethink how they install the electronic garbage and such at the end of the runways. I'm sure in these modern times the ILS could be way more compact and stream lined. I would like to know a few things, who did the engine overhaul if that was the cause. If it was trailing smoke then something happened to something that was either not done correct or not checked very well. And if the engine did fail I'd like to know what weight and brand of oil was used.

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
I think airports need to rethink how they install the electronic garbage and such at the end of the runways. I'm sure in these modern times the ILS could be way more compact and stream lined. I would like to know a few things, who did the engine overhaul if that was the cause. If it was trailing smoke then something happened to something that was either not done correct or not checked very well. And if the engine did fail I'd like to know what weight and brand of oil was used.

I believe they use Phillips 25w-60...at least I think I remember seeing a stack of cases in it, but that may have been in Fifi. Phillips 25w-60 is intended for radials. A few friends with various radial powered birds also use Phillips 20w-50, mostly, or Aeroshell 15w-50.

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
No sound but great video close ups by the NTSB...

At time 2:55 it looks like tire skid marks on the blacktop where the plane took a hard right off the runway. Wonder is maybe something went wrong with the braking system that made it take a hard right turn after they touched down.

And why was there a piece of plexiglass in the grass field. Stuff breaking off from a very hard landing perhaps?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
BusyLittleShop said:
No sound but great video close ups by the NTSB...

At time 2:55 it looks like tire skid marks on the blacktop where the plane took a hard right off the runway. Wonder is maybe something went wrong with the braking system that made it take a hard right turn after they touched down.

And why was there a piece of plexiglass in the grass field. Stuff breaking off from a very hard landing perhaps?

If they hit the ILS antennas or lights before the runway, they were out of control by the time they reached the approach end. If they hit some structure or dug in with the right wingtip, that would veer the airplane to the right, hard. The plexi could be from the underslung ball turret which doesn't clear the ground by a lot, or nose glazing if it made contact with the raised ILS structure(s).

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
"The plane hit the instrument landing system posts and veered to the
right. It crossed a grassy area, then a taxiway, and ran into the
de-icing facility," NTSB member Jennifer Homendy told reporters.

Does anyone else wish they could have been there to have told her "thanks Cpt Obvious"?
Everyone was already aware of the accident sequence.
The question is why this accident happened and one hopes that NTSB will rise above its often shambolic findings and identify the real cause of this one.
The loss of one outboard engine should not have imperiled a light B-17.
What other factors were in play?
What's VMC for this aircraft with the loss of an outboard engine? Did the crew get slower than that?
This plane looks like it has a huge fin but not much rudder.

Many times a crew in a hurry will misidentify the failed/failing engine. Which leads to shutting down a good engine in the "heat of the moment"

Get down to two running in this airplane, when low and slow, and you can't stay in the air particularly if both failed on the same side.

Also, when you've got an airplane with mechanical issues, the crew often focuses on the mechanical, without appropriately assigning, and executing, responsibilities like flying and radios while everyone looks to take care of that engine, to the detriment of aircraft flight path and planning.

Not presuming cause, but wonder what was going on in that cockpit.

Landed as a passenger at Bradley today. On 33. That's not the usual runway and I suspect that 6/24 is still closed.

Names have been released by the CT authorities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
And if the engine did fail I'd like to know what weight and brand of oil was used.

Taken after Nine O Nine was serviced at McClellan AFB...

AeroShell W120 is a 60 monograde Ashless Dispersant oil with viscosity of 279cSt @40C (104F) and 24.8 cSt @100C (212F)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This B-17 stopped at the Columbus,Nebraska airport in July before going on to Omaha. Too hot for me that day to go see a WWII bomber I saw frequently over Albuquerque in the war years and crawled around in the annual open house at Kirtland AFB. And when the war was over, there were thousands of these planes sitting on the southeast mesa waiting to be scrapped. Word around town was that the contractor who purchased the planes recouped his cost with the avgas drained from the planes. Memories of long ago.

How hard is it to retrofit a black box to these vintage older aircraft? I'm guessing the transducers to record movement on controls and/or mechanical linkages and/or hydraulics is expensive, and every aircraft too different, to make it a serious option (plus just how many vintage aircraft are still flying? something of a non-issue, really, but it's the analysis of crash that makes one wonder).

Part 1 NTSB Factual Report B-17G Crash 'Nine-O-Nine' 16 Dec 2020

Part2 NTSB Report B-17G Crash 'Nine-O-Nine' 18 Dec 2020

Back