They gave me a mini van...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Well on travel in Philadelphia for work and they gave me a 2017 Carvan. Fully loaded 27,000 miles.
Last mini van I care to remember is the one my girlfriend had in high school...ahhhhhh good times...
Anyway back on topic.
So easy to get in and out of. I was surprised how well the V6 motivated it. Pretty comfortable with leather and heated seats.
It is a ratllely sucker, could be beacause the roads here suck and it is a rental. Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like it overall. Very versatile.
Brakes are so so, but a good family hauler over all with lots of features and comfort. I like it better tan the last car I had which was a sentra.

Mini vans are very nice. Very comfortable. A roomy.

Yeah, the roads around Philly are rough. Where are you at in Philly?

At the Navy Yard for work. NAVSEA engineering station. I'm staying out by the airport.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
At the Navy Yard for work. NAVSEA engineering station. I'm staying out by the airport.

Nice. Welcome to Philly. :]

I had a Caravan as a rental in March 2018, 4 people and a bunch of stuff going to GaryCon. It was all right...except for the wrong wheel drive.

Probably taking my Vic next year.

OT, but if you have time go and see the USS Olympia. She is the oldest steel warship afloat, was Commodore Dewey's flagship, and is a fascinating example of a ship that was born between eras; lavish wood paneled staterooms for the Captain and Admiral and within a steel warship.

I don't mind minivans on work trips...non descript.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
OT, but if you have time go and see the USS Olympia. She is the oldest steel warship afloat, was Commodore Dewey's flagship, and is a fascinating example of a ship that was born between eras; lavish wood paneled staterooms for the Captain and Admiral and within a steel warship.

I don't mind minivans on work trips...non descript.

I have been. There is a submarine there too. Of interest to me as I did 12 patrols on two different SSBNs. It is a good place to visit

Originally Posted by Boomer
Don't forget a trip to get a Philly cheese steak, preferably in South Philly.

John's pork roast over by the SS United States

Last edited:
Well on travel in Philadelphia for work and they gave me a 2017 Carvan. Fully loaded 27,000 miles.
Last mini van I care to remember is the one my girlfriend had in high school...ahhhhhh good times...
Anyway back on topic.
So easy to get in and out of. I was surprised how well the V6 motivated it. Pretty comfortable with leather and heated seats.
It is a ratllely sucker, could be beacause the roads here suck and it is a rental. Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like it overall. Very versatile.
Brakes are so so, but a good family hauler over all with lots of features and comfort. I like it better tan the last car I had which was a sentra.

Can't just gloss over that...minivan and high school
But minivans are awesome and have fun in Philly!

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Yep, they are kinda fun.....

Yup, remember my 1st GF in HS with my dad's relatively new (to the family) 1995 Windstar.
Boy, that thing was filled with electrical and transmission issues, but I still reminisce the few times we took it to the drive-in.
smile.gif

Hah, we used to stay at the Holiday Inn right on the water by the airport all the time (off E 2nd st. and Taylor Ave). There's a little Irish place; Monaghan's Pub on Powhatan Ave by the Wawa we used to go to alot. Good service and decent cheap food and drinks. Big Joe's Sandwich Shop on the corner of Wanamaker and Powhatan is really good too. It's a hole in the wall, but I never got anything bad there.

they gave me a 2017 Carvan. I was surprised how well the V6 motivated it.

Thats a REALLY old platform by now. They started making that model in 2008 and its the same model essentially. The new Pacifica was supposed to replace it, but they kept the older, cheaper, Caravan around for rental car sales.

The engine has about 285 hp, so its no slouch and has enough get up and go for a soccer mom car no doubt.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

Thats a REALLY old platform by now. They started making that model in 2008 and its the same model essentially. The new Pacifica was supposed to replace it, but they kept the older, cheaper, Caravan around for rental car sales.

The engine has about 285 hp, so its no slouch and has enough get up and go for a soccer mom car no doubt.

A friend borrow me his 2008 T&C.
Loaded to the gills, me inside, after clearing the Chicago downtown traffic, it had a nice grunt.
I was surprised by 0-35 and 35-65 times, given it's loaded cargo.

My friend epoxied the cracked plastic elbow/T back, but I told him about the HomeDepot brass alternative. Not sure if he implemented.
That van has seen at least 5 Oshkosh sleep-ins, might I say comfortable for the family.

Old platform or not, it still performs very well for its purpose and is competitive in the minivan segment.
So if one doesn't ming being behind in infotainment system tech, radar cruise controls, cameras and huge touch screens, these minivans are quite nice in all other aspects.

If you think 285hp from the Pentastar is madness in a minivan, the 2018-on Sienna makes 300hp with the same engine from the Lexus RX350. Just tweaked to use regular.

Mopar is still milking the old van FWIW, but the Voyager is making a return. Fleet and government mechanics might love the old Dodge Caravan but would it make sense for Mopar to build a Pacifica-based Caravan?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28207234/2020-chrysler-voyager-photos-info/

My parents had a little regret for not buying a Dodge Grand Caravan when they first bought a Nissan Quest when it came to space and power. I think while the 1st-3rd gen vans had issues and didn't do too much to distinguish themselves from the K-Cars that platformed them, I thought the 4th and 5th gen vans came into their own. Especially the brakes and the 41TE/62TE is acutally a decent gearbox as long as some goober doesn't pour Dexron into them.

Last edited:
I have had a few mini vans (Chrysler) as rentals. While I don't dislike them-and they ride decent, they all rattled. Even on relatively smooth roads.

Don't know if it's the build quality or just the abuse because it's a rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back