Insta pots and air fryers

I don't know in the US, but here the Insta pot outsells the others by a long long shot. Many consumer-testing outfits declared it best bang for the $.
I will be getting a Breville Fast-slow cooker which is 3 times the price because I can get it on CC points, but if I were to cough up the dough it would be an Insta-Pot.

Got one from Amazon on cyber Monday or whatever it was. $60 I think.
Love it; it never leaves the counter.
Of course I don't know how it works...

Costco has a great Instant Pot on sale right now that is a better model than ours. $69 I think.

Wife and I have the Insta pot mini. Really like it.

I have an Instapot. To me it is just a pressure cooker-no more no less. I think the advertising is very misleading as they leave out the part that it takes time to build up the steam pressure, like 15-20 minutes..then the timer starts counting down. The bowl is stainless, not teflon. They want you to sear meat in the bowl and then "scrape the browned bits" into your dish. Heck, that's why I have teflon frying pans. So. I sear the meat in my teflon pan while the liquid is heating up in the IP, that cuts down on the steam generation time. But it is nice to throw all the stuff in the pot and go do other stuff.
We have not found many uses for it to be honest.

Oh, and air fryers..the driest, flavorless, noisiest, pos ever to get in our kitchen. It's a shame the Rocket Grill didn't catch on. It's like a toaster with the grill plates (like a Foreman Grill on edge) that would squeeze the contents that are in a parchment paper bag Picture HB patties in bag hanging vertically but not on the bottom of the bag, so the grease could drain in the bag below the meat. When done use tongs to get out the meat, toss the bag. NO cleanup, No grease. Got my kids one, but they didn't want to spend 35 cents on a bag. I said how much does it cost you to wash a pan or grill in hot water, soap, and time? Not to mention the health benefits. I think they took it to goodwill....I look on Ebay every now and then. They were $100 new, I think that's what killed them. The bags are getting hard to find now, sometimes you can get the whole thing for $30-40. I buy em for the bags. if they come with them lol.

20191104_194952.jpg

20191104_194959.jpg

20191104_195010.jpg

We have an Insta-Pot and we like it a lot. Air fryer? I wouldn't have one. It's a gimmick and a counter top eyesore.

i bought a air fryer. it works great on stuff like chicken breast and fish. i like it because i don't have all the oil flying around that pan frying causes . no oily order on my clothes . it also keeps the inside juicy unless its way overcooked

Originally Posted by rekit
I have an Instapot. To me it is just a pressure cooker-no more no less. I think the advertising is very misleading as they leave out the part that it takes time to build up the steam pressure, like 15-20 minutes..then the timer starts counting down. The bowl is stainless, not teflon. They want you to sear meat in the bowl and then "scrape the browned bits" into your dish. Heck, that's why I have teflon frying pans. So. I sear the meat in my teflon pan while the liquid is heating up in the IP, that cuts down on the steam generation time. But it is nice to throw all the stuff in the pot and go do other stuff.
We have not found many uses for it to be honest.

My mom gave me an InstantPot for Christmas or something, don't remember. Never used a pressure cooker but yeah it's probably the same. I really like it. Have made soups and roasts and ribs etc. searing the meat isn't that big a deal when using oil obviously. It's nice to be able to make a pot roast in less than two hours and the meat pulls apart easily. I think the appeal is that it's pretty easy to use, and figure out.

Originally Posted by walterjay
We have an Insta Pot brand. We like it. Use it a lot just to make yogurt.

My mom makes yogurt a lot with hers and uses it often

I made the mistake of getting a Farberware pressure cooker. I thought I was getting a great price on an instapot knockoff, but its not. Different buttons and not easy to use cooking instructions for instapot recipes.

I'm using it a lot. Works pretty good for pasta once you get the hang of it. Good for searing and seems like I can use fewer pots and pans. (Steamed) Baked potatoes come out surprisingly well. I haven't yet used it for things that take a long time to cook. I can see the benefit if you are working, of just putting everything in it and closing the lid.

Like others have said, it doesn't save time on things that don't take long to cook. takes awhile to build up pressure and cool down.

Its nice in the summertime to take it outside and plug it in. Keeps the heat out of the house when the ac is running.

I'm a big fan of air fryers. We've got a big one and a little one. Sprinkle some bread crumbs on pork chops, catfish fillets and they're done in 14 minutes ... vs. 40 minutes in oven. Taste better, too. French fries, tater tots, etc. also work great in the air fryer.

I have an instant pot, and it's very useful. Tons of recipes, and relatively fast cooking. I find mine never takes more than 5 minutes to build pressure, too.

Wife and I receieved a Ninja Foodi for Christmas last year and it's a pretty awesome multi-use machine. You can make short work of a brick of frozen chicken thighs/legs/breasts using the pressure cook function and then turn around and air fry/crisp the skin. There's also no better alternative for air-frying some snack foods like fries and tater tots.

My only downside of it is that it's very heavy and takes up a ton of counter space... it won't fit in any of our cabinets.

Our oven has an air frier function that I use very occasionally. I prefer more traditional methods of cooking with fats so the air frier is mainly a gimmick for me.

I have a traditional pressure cooker used mainly for legumes.

Know nothing about an insta pot, but we love our air fryer.
We like cooking chicken, fish, potatoes in it.
I have done beer battered pickles (my weakness) in one, and every bit as good as in the restaurant.
They are fantastic for reheating appropriate leftovers in. Tastes just like it came out of the fryer.
Less oil, mess, calories. What's not to like.
The cheap ($60-100) ones are okay and will hold up for awhile, but the best hands down is the Philips.
Bad news is that they are $249. new. The trick is to buy a refurb off of Amazon for $100. or less.
That's what we did and it has been fantastic. If you go for one, be sure to get one of the digital models.

Originally Posted by Tdbo
Know nothing about an insta pot, but we love our air fryer.
We like cooking chicken, fish, potatoes in it.
I have done beer battered pickles (my weakness) in one, and every bit as good as in the restaurant.
They are fantastic for reheating appropriate leftovers in. Tastes just like it came out of the fryer.
Less oil, mess, calories. What's not to like.
The cheap ($60-100) ones are okay and will hold up for awhile, but the best hands down is the Philips.
Bad news is that they are $249. new. The trick is to buy a refurb off of Amazon for $100. or less.
That's what we did and it has been fantastic. If you go for one, be sure to get one of the digital models.

Things that didn't happen. An air fryer isn't in the same ballpark as a fryer.

Back