Toyota 60k service worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Last Toyota motor with a timing chain I can think of was the 22RE and that was change around 100k miles (or wear out the guides and rub a hole in the coolant passage and blow your headgasket).

All belts now AFAIK

That's incredibly wrong. Most newer Toyotas use chains. The 2GR-FE (3.5 V6) that's in V6 Camrys, Siennas, Highlanders, Avalons and some Lexus? Chain. The 2.4 and 2.5 I4s from the Camrys at least the last few generations? Chain. Most Toyotas use a chain, and have done so for the past 10-15 years. (Notable exceptions would be the 3.3 V6 used until 2006ish, which was a belt.) But most Toyotas made in the past few decades use a chain, not a belt. We have two of them in the family. That Rav4 absolutely has a timing chain, as I have the same 2AR-FE in the Camry. Most everything uses a chain.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

this is the description of the work to be done via email from the dealer

So it is not Toyota's recommended 60,000 mile service, it is the dealers where they add a few extra (low cost) things to justify a higher price. If it needed those things, then $600 might be good value. But offering a service based on a menu means you get things you don't need and they don't do things that might need doing.

Does it really need an ac vent and evaporator service (whatever that entails)?

Is a universal coolant conditioner the right service for this 5+ year old Toyota?

The best way to get a car serviced is to ask for the specific things that are due based on the scheduled maintenance and history of the vehicle and then getting the multi point inspection done for free (which all dealers are happy to do because it gives them the opportunity to look for things that can be charged).

Originally Posted by Eddie
At $125 per hour charge time I think two hours is more than adequate for a slow Mechanic . Maybe another hour IF the AT fluid is checked. I would suspect that many dealers will only do the oil change, Change the cabin and engine air filters, inspect the brake pad thickness and rotate the tires (since the customer cane see this), and call it finished. Remember, this is mostly inspections and if anything is found not perfect, there will be other parts and labor charges. If possible I'd Do it myself or have a local trusted shop do it for ~$ 250? Ed

ahh and this is the interesting thing. she brings it to the same dealer every 5k miles to change oil. with the oil change they already do a lot of this inspection stuff. non of the trans service or other stuff is required by the manual.

Follow the manual, not the dealer's recommendations. The only thing I would short change is transmission fluid changes, since Toyota AT fluid isn't the best.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

this is the description of the work to be done via email from the dealer

Oil Change, Tire Rotation, Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Driveline Fluid Service and a lot of snake oil.

Then while the car is there, they'll probably upsell brake fluid for another $149.

Wow, $600 is expensive. I've done most all those things to my Rav4 but not at 60k miles. Never heard of a propeller shaft.

Got a Nissan Versa. 2012. Hasn't been back to the dealer since I bought it. Still waiting for a bulb to burn out. Cabin filter? Never had one. Rattling heat shield? Pulled it off 6 years ago. 5k oil changes with Dino conventional. Brakes of course and brake fluid change. Air filter, the usual stuff. It'll never see an overpriced stealership checkup. Cost me 15k off the lot new. It could die tomorrow and not cost me a cent.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Wow, $600 is expensive. I've done most all those things to my Rav4 but not at 60k miles. Never heard of a propeller shaft.

Drive shaft, ahh but from what i have researched they are not even greasable. only the real truck ones have grease fittings. the more i dig the more crooked it seems

60k service isn't needed on a 2014 rav 4. dealer said to flush trans at 100k . just do oil changes on time and you will be fine

Often, these major interval services include an oil change and a technician looking around inspecting things. A dealership where I work would give you two sets of free tires over the life of the vehicle if you did the factory recommended service intervals. One couple came in for the recommended 15k mile service. They almost fainted when they got a bill for $500+ for what amounted to an oil change and inspection. People were better off buying their own tires. If you insist on having it done, get a good idea what you are getting for your money first!

As per the dealer email, Universal Coolant Conditioner. What is that? Toyota uses Super Long Life Coolant and has never recommended any additive. Obviously another dealership suck job. So obvious.

I know a fellow Tacoma owner that got hosed for $850ish for the 60K service (3.5V6 4wd). It did include a fill and spill of the transmission, but it was more or less a glorified oil change. Don't know about other peoples Toyota dealers, but the dealer I use includes that inspection for free every trip. You can also schedule a free inspection every so often. Obviously they'll find something, but there's a couple things on my truck I knew they would point out and they just mentioned all the V6's do that (IE timing cover seep, random shaking, etc.) and it will probably be fine for another 100K...

So, if the posts regarding the 60k service accurate, an oil and filter change, AF and CAF replacement, tire rotation and ~16 point inspection. Seems worth $600 to me.
smirk.gif

I remember way back on my Tacoma that when they did the 60k service they changed out the fluids on the differential and transfer case and performed quite a bit of stuff. It was worth it then. That has been over 20 years now.

Get a detailed list from the dealer of what they will perform and replace. Inspecting stuff is easy.

Then again, I think you already knew what you wanted to do.

I'd like to know what is involved in the " Air conditioning vent and evaporator service".

Originally Posted by laserred96gt
I'd like to know what is involved in the " Air conditioning vent and evaporator service".

They spray an air freshener into the HVAC intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back