Filled With Wrong Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I used my last free oil change at the dealer. When I got home I noticed the invoice said they used 0w20 when the manual calls for 5w30 with no alternatives. I called them and their response was "That's our synthetic oil so you should be good". OK, maybe, but given the heat here still hitting the 90's I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling that it really is. Never heard of a dealership giving out free synthetic oil changes.
I mean, the engineers of the VQ engine picked 5w30 for a reason, right? I have plenty of 5w30 at home. So do i drain, refill, and use the 20 in something else or ride it out?
I only have a one mile commute to work and drive maybe 50 miles on the weekend.
Your opinions please.

They messed up. Call them back and demand the proper weight be used.
Having said that, I doubt the 0w20 will cause any problems, especially with winter coming.

I would get what you paid for.

If they had put 5w-30 in a vehicle that called for 5w-20 I would say ride it out. But in your circumstance I would change it for the right spec.

Originally Posted by tojo1968
Well that's the whole thing, I didn't pay anything for the OC.

Haha, nothing is "free". You did pay for it (in the cost of the vehicle).

Um...no. It was not an add on cost to my truck. You get perks like this when you purchase 4 vehicles from the same dealer.

Last edited:
My wife's rogue calls for 0-20 synthetic or 5-30 conventional which is bizarre at best. My 09 altima shares the same engine as newer model nissans yet they didn't back spec it like many other auto makers and according to the head Nissan mechanic didn't change any clearances. At least the dealer effed it up so they're on the hook if something goes awry.

Sounds like a good idea. I will start doing my own after this.

That's what I did simply because you can't really trust anyone. The head shop guy at Nissan is fantastic but I know he's not doing oil changes. The service writer started to give some BS about warranty and not having dealer service and a couple of legal precedents stopped him dead in his tracks. Besides, I can use a quality synthetic and a better than oem filter for half the cost and not have them try and tell my Johnson valve is going bad and it's not a warranty item.

My son has a 14 Altima. Manual calls for 5w20 but his invoice had 5w30 on it a few weeks ago.

My point exactly. It's almost like Nissan has no idea what weight oil their cars need. I had an 03 altima (best car I ever owned btw) it called for everything from 5-30 up to 10-40. Same engine basically as your sons and mine.

You get perks like this when you purchase 4 vehicles from the same dealer ...

Yeah ... perks like whatever oil the shop has around, regardless of what the vehicle specs ...

I doubt it is synthetic anything.

I have owned four Nissans now and several of them had strange oil recommendations in the manual. The oil cap and manual state 0W20, but then there is a little asterix in the manual that states mineral 5W30 can be substituted without any warranty issues.

Drain it out and use it in something that can use it. Replace it with some of that 5w30 you already have.

If possible, get it in writing eg email, that the 0w20 is ok to use. If you have engine problems down the road (unlikely with the correct oil), you can contact Nissan corporate even out of warranty and show them the invoice and the follow up advice you were given.

And don't use that dealer again. If a Nissan dealer can't do something as simple as following Nissan's instructions on oil grade, then why the [censored] are they a dealer? And what's worse is the BS explanation they give when their error, which is beneficial to them and Nissan, is brought to their attention

Well I used my last free oil change at the dealer. When I got home I noticed the invoice said they used 0w20 when the manual calls for 5w30 with no alternatives. I called them and their response was "That's our synthetic oil so you should be good". OK, maybe, but given the heat here still hitting the 90's I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling that it really is. Never heard of a dealership giving out free synthetic oil changes.
I mean, the engineers of the VQ engine picked 5w30 for a reason, right? I have plenty of 5w30 at home. So do i drain, refill, and use the 20 in something else or ride it out?
I only have a one mile commute to work and drive maybe 50 miles on the weekend.
Your opinions please.

Service guy is a moron. Their bulk, fake synthetic 0W20 has a 2.6HTHS unlike the lightweight synthetics of yore which had 30 multigrade HTHS but with a lower KV100.

But the big thing is: How does the engine run and sound?
On my Nissan 2.5L when I put 1/2 sump 0w20 for winter I supposed my VVT wasn't working right and the car only had power to about 3K rpm then nothing happening.when you mashed the right pedal going for 6K rpm. Lots of Noise but slow progress.
Dumped and put in 5W30 semi-syn Magnatec and all was good again. Pulled hard all the way to redline.

Last edited:
You get perks like this when you purchase 4 vehicles from the same dealer.

I'd pass on perks that have you second guessing the materials and labor involved (in this case, the wrong oil).
Ends up costing you more to get it right.

It will not hurt a thing. I'm running 0w-20 in my 2002 Silverado that calls for 5w-30 and I even pull a 4klbs trailer. The UOA came back just fine after 5k miles of use.

Whats the HTHS on amsoil signature?

If its below 2.9 you lost some severe loading safety margin. and the EP is working overtime on boundary lubrication..

Be aware Many impending component failures don't show on a UOA then BAM!

but if its good on THAT engine go for it. I say use the lightest oil that works.

More power, better gas mileage and quicker revving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back