Do taller men have an advantage in the workplace for promotion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MolaKule
In my experience, in the engineering field, it is academics, experience, work ethic, and what you create/produce that qualifies for promotions.
Not unlike most every other occupation.

Absolutely! Height and big personality seems to be a trait of CEOs. You can't miss them in the room, they just kind of take it over. Steve Ballmer is the epitome of this example, IMO.

yes taller men do better. ONLY cause they are taller. iam 70 have seen it ALL my life

Guess it depends on what the position is … we have several little Napoleon managers that started out in engineering

Originally Posted by 4WD
Guess it depends on what the position is … we have several little Napoleon managers that started out in engineering

I think the taller man will have an edge in some occupations. When it comes to something like engineering where people's safety could depend on the quality of a man's work, smarter will usually trump physical appearance. ( I hope.)

Originally Posted by pbm
Do attractive woman have an advantage over homely woman?

Yes they do.

And yes taller better looking people have an easier time and get more breaks in general.

UD

Hitler and Napoleon were short. Come to think of it, so is Putin. No politics, just height observations.
laugh.gif

+1 … Indeed … these are smart guys and gals … Just stumpy, LoL ...

Depends on the personality of the person handing out promotions but in general yes, "IF" all else were equal, being taller is an advantage.

Originally Posted by pbm

Which do you think takes home more tips at the end of the night?...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by pbm

Which do you think takes home more tips at the end of the night?...

I work in healthcare and I've met lots of female sales reps and most looked like an NFL cheerleader. 100% pure kitten.

I've observed some companies prefer taller men for promotion, obviously engineering is a vastly different career field. In the business I've met lots of incompetent people who were good talkers.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
In the white collar business world..... do taller men have an advantage in the workplace for promotion ?

Have you observed some bosses have a
preconceived notion that taller men are more qualified to do a job and better represent the company ?

There are reputable academic studies showing that taller people enjoy advantages in the workplace.
People with attractive faces do as well as do those with sparkling personalities and a gift of gab.
This is a consequence of the unconscious biases we all have and while none of this may have anything to do with competence, these things are a factor in career advancement and earnings.

I'm 6'5" with a fairly lean/muscular build that makes me look even taller. I own my own business (I'm in healthcare) so I don't know how height impacts promotion in the white-collar world but I can say that when I walk into a room I'm usually noticed. I do think it makes me more memorable and perhaps that could have some impact on someone's career. Growing up I hated it...always thought everyone was always watching me. I was at a diner yesterday and a guy who is 6'10" walked in. Everyone stopped to look at him and a stranger had no problem interrupting his meal to ask him how tall he was and he kindly answered. There is a point where height becomes circus sideshow - poor guy had to really duck under every doorway and he didn't fit in the booth so he had to sit in a chair at the end of the table.

Last edited:
Yes, but not just height and not that significant. There is a certain executive look that has advantages; tall, athletic, gray (but not too gray) hair..., but that only goes so far. It may get you noticed initially, but at the end of the day intelligence, capability, effort and the ability to get along w/ folks, or at least motivate them to execute well, are what matter.

I'm 5' 7"....but I rose to exec in high tech which is more of a meritocracy vs. some old school industries.

Height does not matter to me. I had one employee who was short and fat. He also had the knowledge, ability, and great attitude. The best employee I had.

Another employee was taller, but he had a severe chip in his shoulder about his height. He wore boots which had a high enough platform inside them it would embarrass Tom Cruise. 6" stilettos would have given him the same height increase. He was the epitome of someone with short-man-syndrome. He didn't keep his job for very long.

Really, being successful is almost entirely about attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back