Toyota 60k service worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend called me up asking about the Toyota 60k service. I looked it up and it look like a glorified oil change other than the trans fluid check.

They quoted her $600 for it. Seems kinda steep . Anyone do the 60 k service ? What special did they do?

Not sure what happens around 60k. That could be the 5 year mark so it could be coolant change and maybe trans & diffs. Would have to know what vehicle to guess what is being done.

I'm not saying they should do it, but I firmly believe occasionally having a shop do an inspection can be a good thing. Another set of eyes looking at a vehicle could catch something that the car owner might miss.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I'm not saying they should do it, but I firmly believe occasionally having a shop do an inspection can be a good thing. Another set of eyes looking at a vehicle could catch something that the car owner might miss.

If there is significant warranty remaining, such as to 100K on a CPO Toyota, this is a good point. A 60K full service, the 100 point check, and some oil change receipts and you have warranty protection as well as a fully sorted vehicle.

Yeah, would need clarity on what it includes.

Transmission Flush seems appropriate at this mileage (~$150-175).
Then they usually oversell brake fluid changes (~$100), which i would say doing at 60k isn't unreasonable, but probably unnecessary.
Coolant flush is really too early, but that would be on the order of $100-150.
Air filters ~$60, maybe dealer charges like $100.
Wiper blades?

So, it could be in the ballpark of reasonable depending on what's included but is more than likely a rip off.

I believe a Toyota 60k mile service might include timing chain or belt tensioner change....

Originally Posted by tundraotto
I believe a Toyota 60k mile service might include timing chain or belt tensioner change....

It better not, what owner's manual includes that at 60K? Even my old Sienna is a 90K interval on the belt. And you're claiming a chain replacement at that interval?

Are we just pulling stuff out of thin air?

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

While I agree another set of eyes is a good idea, knowing what exactly is being done for $600 is a good idea as well. Dealers typically have rip off prices for a service like the OP mentioned. Another set of eyes can check the vehicle at 60K miles and probably service it for a lot less than the dealer.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by tundraotto

It better not, what owner's manual includes that at 60K? Even my old Sienna is a 90K interval on the belt. And you're claiming a chain replacement at that interval?

Are we just pulling stuff out of thin air?

I had my wifes 2003 4Runner (4.7L V8) done at 60k or 75k - cant remember which - but that was the recommended mileage. It was only the tensioner Im pretty sure that needed the changing at that time but I wanted the belt changed while they were in there. it was about $600

(It was the other way around - the belt change per interval, and got them to change the tensioner while they were at it)

Awesome, well if this is a 2003 4Runner with a V8 then it be done on time. Are you sure it wasn't 90K?

How about that chain replacement?

Last Toyota motor with a timing chain I can think of was the 22RE and that was change around 100k miles (or wear out the guides and rub a hole in the coolant passage and blow your headgasket).

All belts now AFAIK

As HangFire posted, it depends on which Toyota.
My guess is, the $600 60K service is an oil change, air filter and cabin air filter replacement.
They will check brakes, fluids, etc. Check suspension, torque body mounts perhaps.
Toyota generally calls ATF a lifetime fluid. Stupid if you ask me....

Our 2013 GS included brake fluid service and spark plugs; Lexus charges over $1,000 I believe.
It did not include transmission or differential service; I will perform these.

Last edited:
This is it:

Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
Rotate Tires
Inspect Visually, Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
Inspect Radiator, Condenser and/or Intercooler (If Applicable)
Inspect Automatic Transmission Fluid
Inspect Wiper Blades
Inspect /Adjust All Fluid Levels1
Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
Inspect Engine Coolant
Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
Inspect Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs2
Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
Inspect Steering Gear Box/Rack And Pinion
Inspect Drive Belts
Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter3
Replace Engine Air Filter
Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)

A trusted indie mechanic can probably check the list for less than $600, trans fluid level takes special tools as it's a "sealed" transmission.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

this is the description of the work to be done via email from the dealer

Last edited:
^ Yes - all that should not cost $600, for sure.

- NOW - That second list has servicing differential and transfer case - replacing those oils will add some cost if good fluids are used.

Last edited:
At $125 per hour charge time I think two hours is more than adequate for a slow Mechanic . Maybe another hour IF the AT fluid is checked. I would suspect that many dealers will only do the oil change, Change the cabin and engine air filters, inspect the brake pad thickness and rotate the tires (since the customer cane see this), and call it finished. Remember, this is mostly inspections and if anything is found not perfect, there will be other parts and labor charges. If possible I'd Do it myself or have a local trusted shop do it for ~$ 250? Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back