Retrieve Codes from 2015 Durango?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to retrieve codes from my 2015 Durango with the 3.6 engine without a code reader? I remember my old Daytona would flash out its codes by turning the ignition on and off three times.
Thanks

Those were the days!

My 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ would display the codes through the digital odometer display.

I use the method where you turn the ignition on and off fast three times and look at the odometer. It gives me codes that my $200 Actron scanner doesn't pick up.

Surely you have a cellphone? Get one of those $5 ELM327 dongles on ebay, even the cheap ones that don't really support all OBD2 protocols (despite their claims), work on canbus if they're not DOA. DOA is a problem with the cheap ones, but if getting it from China, usually DOA means you just get a refund.

If you don't want that hassle, just pay closer to $10 for one on Amazon, shipped from their warehouse, not the 3rd party importer.

It is a far, far better option to be able to see real time data, instead of jiggling a key to only see OBD2 codes, and then possibly not even be able to reset codes if they don't clear when the battery is disconnected.

This is a pet peeve of mine. For all the silly, frivolous electronic gadgetry manufacturers put in vehicles, you think manufacturers could add a useful on-board code reader.

Originally Posted by Kestas
This is a pet peeve of mine. For all the silly, frivolous electronic gadgetry manufacturers put in vehicles, you think manufacturers could add a useful on-board code reader.

Agreed. Absolutely no reason why they can't... especially with LCD dashes that everyone is going towards. Pop up the code and give us a short description what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back