Under valve cover pics Jeep 4.0 230k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicle is a 97 Cherokee, I've owned it since around 150k miles, unknown maintenance history. It gets Rotella T6 5W-40
with the occasional bottle of Rislone engine treatment and various oil filters at around 7.5k mile oci's.
Vlave cover gasket had been leaking for some time and I finally got around to changing it so I snapped some pics.

4.0-1.JPG

4.0-2.JPG

4.0-3.JPG

4.0-vc.JPG

Originally Posted by benjy
NOT REALLY!!!

Please explain your opinion. If you're not a troll, you'll have an erudite, comprehensive and intelligible discussion of more than 100 words to explain your position, backed up with some sort of factual or evidential information to support your position. If not, you ARE in fact a Troll.

I think it looks a bit dark, but there's no sludge nor discoloration indicating buildup. Drive on.

Has benjy ever posted anything positive, that adds to the conversation at hand? I sure can't recall any.

OP, looks pretty good for the mileage and the fact that 2/3 of its life was under unknown care. Thx!

Looks good...….I have previously owned a 2001 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0. Loved that Jeep! Gave it to my brother when I bought the Commander. Its still in service to this day with similar miles on it.

Question: Did you ever use Liqui-Moly in that engine? That grey "tinge" reminds me of the colorization of Valve/valve springs that have had Liqui-Moly introduced to them. If not you, Maybe the previous owner.

Looks awesome. I haven't opened mine up yet, but it's first 100k miles it's was government owned and it's been well maintained since then. Through the oil cap it looks spotless. One of these days I'll open it up and snap some pictures.

Looks like the T6 is doing exactly what it's known for, keeping the clean stuff clean and cleaning up the stuff that isn't. Good choice.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Has benjy ever posted anything positive, that adds to the conversation at hand? I sure can't recall any.

OP, looks pretty good for the mileage and the fact that 2/3 of its life was under unknown care. Thx!

Benjy is another banned member that keeps coming back constantly. He is a TROLL.

OP: looks very good considering
smile.gif
. Thank You for pics

Last edited:
I dunno, Benjy might have some truth to what he's sayin'.
The head areas near the base of the valve springs (and elsewhere visible) looks awful dark and "cruddy".
Surprising considering the use of such a highly rated oil.
I'd have a UOA done, but that's just me...
12.gif

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Question: Did you ever use Liqui-Moly in that engine? That grey "tinge" reminds me of the colorization of Valve/valve springs that have had Liqui-Moly introduced to them. If not you, Maybe the previous owner.

I never used Liqui Moly, suppose PO could have?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
I dunno, Benjy might have some truth to what he's sayin'.
The head areas near the base of the valve springs (and elsewhere visible) looks awful dark and "cruddy".
Surprising considering the use of such a highly rated oil.
I'd have a UOA done, but that's just me...
12.gif

What you are seeing inside the gasket area is simply the texture of the casting, there is no "crud" or sludge.
Outside the gasket area you are seeing lots of "crud'.

Originally Posted by TurboLuver
The vehicle is a 97 Cherokee, I've owned it since around 150k miles, unknown maintenance history. It gets Rotella T6 5W-40
with the occasional bottle of Rislone engine treatment and various oil filters at around 7.5k mile oci's.
Vlave cover gasket had been leaking for some time and I finally got around to changing it so I snapped some pics.

150K of unknown and looks this good !!...³ðŸ¤”
Benjy needs to find another place to troll

Last edited:
Looks pretty darn good to me.. whatever you're doing, keep doing it.ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Why are you using the Rislone "engine treatment" ?

It's basically concentrated detergents. I put a bottle in once a year as a preventative for a full oci.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
Looks good. Thanks for the pics. IMO, I don't think you need the rislone.

+1

I think the Rotella alone would do just fine in that engine!

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Why are you using the Rislone "engine treatment" ?

Somewhere around 190k it developed a lifter tick and not wanting to go with anything "aggressive" I decided to try the Rislone.
Within 200 miles the tick was gone and has not returned, so I still use a bottle on occasion as sort of a preclusive measure.

Look good!

Stupid ? - what are those upside down U clips that bridge the two rocker arms? I can't imagine they are attached to the rocker as wouldn't that cause both exhaust and intake to operate simultaneously?

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Look good!

Stupid ? - what are those upside down U clips that bridge the two rocker arms? I can't imagine they are attached to the rocker as wouldn't that cause both exhaust and intake to operate simultaneously?

Those are the rocker arm pivot bridges. What you can't see(because the are obscured by oil) are the rocker arm pivots, they are secured by the bridges.

I love the old 4.0!

Bit of trivia, for at least the last few years of 4.0 production the equipment used to make the engines was supposedly well worn. A new engine could come with slightly different sized pistons to compensate for manufacturing variations when boring the cylinders. There were codes on the pistons to indicate size. You could have more than one size piston in one engine. The size differences were very minute but enough that Chrysler had oversized pistons to fit rather than scrap new blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back