New Korean Everstart supplier for SoCal??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was able to warranty a 2yo Everstart Maxx H5 made by JCI. The replacement H5 is now made in Korea and is rated 600cca vs 650cca for the old JCI H5. So who makes these?? This is the first time I've seen the Korean made batteries here in SoCal. I took a peek at a few other batteries and they were all JCI as they've always been. Serial number starts with HSW.
[Linked Image]

EA6BC51C-5816-42D3-AE11-DD685F08BCE2.jpeg

4D573A15-A7FC-4A49-B669-B472D372C6C6.jpeg

My understanding is that JCI sold out, and is now importing third world products. I'm surprised it would be cost effective to import commodity batteries from Korea though.

So what's the consensus on the Korean batteries? I've been really impressed with

Yea I was running 2 JCI/Everstart Maxx batteries in my cars and they both crapped out. This H5 and a 24f. The 24f tested good even though it wouldn't have enough juice to start the car if I sat and listened to the radio for 15 minutes. I replaced that one with a Champion AGM/JCI made in Mexico from the current pep boys deal. The 4 year warranty on that one gives me a little more piece a of mind.

I've run a number of Korean made batteries here in the desert heat, primarily made by Delkor branded as Hi-Ca, which is what the OP's battery appears to be. They supply manufacturers like Hyundai/KIA and Ssangyong, and tend to last about 2.5-3 years in extreme heat conditions. Their best attribute, unlike most JCI batteries, they haven't leaked. Although I think JCI bought Delkor out in 2011.

Just curious, is there any evidence that this is a former JCI now Clarios made battery? A recent posting of JCI/Clarios Everstart battery posted here has the Clarios name on the battery label. And unlike topic battery, the top there still looks like a former JCI made battery.

Or as topic indicates, isn't it more likely WM has found a new supplier for some of it's Everstart batteries? One with the topic coo.

Both my Hyundais came with made in Korean batteries. Solite and Rocket were the brand names. In my 2010 I replaced the original Rocket 124R last year but moved it to the 2008 which still had the OE Solite battery. 2008 came with a 121R originally.

JCI makes batteries in Korea, DelKor. It was once a JV between GM and a South Korean company. The other one is Solite, which seems to be Hyundai's main battery supplier.

South Korea is also the biggest smelter of lead in the world. Your batteries and bullets use Korean lead and I think there is such thing as Korean ammo...

/edit:
http://www.solitebatteries.com/about.html and http://www.hyundai-enercell.com/battery

Solite appears to be a Hyundai affiliate and the battery does look like a Solite. The HSW S/N probably isn't a JCI/DelKor one.

Last edited:
….Solite appears to be a Hyundai affiliate and the battery does look like a Solite. The HSW S/N probably isn't a JCI/DelKor one.
Good to know.

DelKor if I remember right started out with Daewoo, GM took over it when they bought them out.

And didn't Samsung sell auto batteries at one point?

Originally Posted by nthach

/edit:
http://www.solitebatteries.com/about.html and http://www.hyundai-enercell.com/battery

Solite appears to be a Hyundai affiliate and the battery does look like a Solite. The HSW S/N probably isn't a JCI/DelKor one.

[Linked Image]

Bingo. Definitely a Solite battery. Reading positive experiences people have had with these make me a little more optimistic. I was actually peeking in the back looking for an older JC H5 but now I'm glad I got this one.

Originally Posted by KE7JFF
DelKor if I remember right started out with Daewoo, GM took over it when they bought them out.

And didn't Samsung sell auto batteries at one point?

I doubt Samsung made car batteries. Though Samsung Techwin was their munitions arm(now owned by Hanhwa) and they made cars(with a Nissan partnership), I don't think they would make lead-acid batteries.

Samsung is supplying Li-Ion batteries for BEVs though.

.. Definitely a Solite battery....
So at least in some areas WM has another Everstart battery supplier with S Korea coo, not Clarios formerly JCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back