Paint Applicator: Beyond Horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a tube of Mazda touch-up paint and the applicator is beyond horrible and totally unusable. The applicator is a thin metal tube with a spring-loaded metal ball. Its similar to a mechanical pencil tip but with a ball point at the end.

After adequate shaking followed by dozens (if not hundreds) of attempts on a test area under the hood, the paint will not flow adequately. The ball point can actually damage the surface. I tried every conceivable technique to make this thing work.

Pure JUNK! If you purchase this, just puncture the can in a way you'll be able to plug the hole and just use an art brush to apply the paint. -Trust me. The built-in applicator is totally useless.

Ray

TouchUpPaint.jpg

The trick is to test it first on something else. You have to depress the ball at the end to get the paint flowing.

I've never had a perfect touch up applicator. The old Mitsubishi ones were pretty good but if you let them sit for a few years they became useless.

Keep this pen inside the home.

I have found using my own paint brush(es) or other applicator always ends up better than the brush or pen tip on those touch-up paint pens.

Next time I get touch up paint, I will be using Dr. Colorchip...these pens from the dealership are useless...

Last edited:
The manufacturer has to consider shelf life and usage when designing these applicators. Regarding these pen style types, I find them useful for small nicks and chips. A scratch or anything big is better suited with a brush applicator. Sometimes having both is a good way. These pen type applicators will leave a blob of paint in a chip and you can use the brush to smooth and spread that blob around a bit.

The ones from VW are pretty bad too. Some kind of fiberglass tip you have to point down to get anything out. Used to be $2 for touch up bottle of paint with a brush in the cap. Now it's $15-20 for a useless pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back