Status
Not open for further replies.
General question in the title.

Usage:
Subaru Crosstrek 2019 2.0L DI, manual.
5c to -40c.
Usually 70% highway.
Trips are usually 25-30minutes.
Might not use the car for 2-3 days at a time.
Oil change every 6 months because I don't reach 10000KM (currently at 7000Km).

Got the oil for cheap. I'll change my oil before the end of the month (hence the temperature range).

Willing to try something else next time around may (temperature range will be between 5c and 40c).

Great oil. I'm currently filled with 0w-30 AFE and would continue to use it if I got it for a great price. I have enough for the next winter change.

Great oil, I used in towing 8-9K in my 2010 FX4 5.4L with zero issues. Aside from some initial oil changes, it is all that my 2014 Explorer has run and it is nearing 100K at this point. I would not hesitate to use it.

I used it for two 6000 mile intervals in my 2018 Outback 2.5L this year and while it works fine the engine did consume between a half and whole quart each time. I switched to Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 and it was noticeably quieter than AFE, both were priced about the same after rebates offered at the time.

Rotella Gas Truck is 60$ for 5L at Canadian Tire is a bit expensive. I haven't seen any special price on it.

These 2 canadian tire house brand are made by Shell. No virgin oil analysis done yet.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...um-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0287958p.html (28$ special)
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-formula-1-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0288712p.html (29$ special)

The AFE is between 28$ and 31$ when in special.
Penzoil Platinum and Castrol Edge are usually 31-33$ on special.

It is a fine oil. Use it with confidence
smile.gif

It's in both of my L83 V8's ... have enough for two more changes and then starting to use my M1 AP stash

Its not a great oil, its a good oil. Get the German spec oils (508 or 229.71) if you want something better, or go for Mobil1 Annual Protection or Extended Performance (both all-polyalphaolefin base oils), or Castrol Edge Extended Performance which is actually 229.71 and dexos1, dual-rated.

Used it in my Forester almost exclusively (slight dalliance with some PP) . It's very good oil.
Wix/NAPA filter has the correct bypass pressure

Last edited:
Error in my last post: Castrol Edge Extended Performance is not dexos1, only SN+ and 229.71, but the 229.71 rating eclipses dexos1 easily

Originally Posted by paoester
Its not a great oil, its a good oil. Get the German spec oils (508 or 229.71) if you want something better, or go for Mobil1 Annual Protection or Extended Performance (both all-polyalphaolefin base oils), or Castrol Edge Extended Performance which is actually 229.71 and dexos1, dual-rated.

But we're not in Germany?...‚

Ok, serious now...I may be wrong on this but with a 6k mile oci, i don't think the OP's interested in running the most expensive oil out there (he didn't ask, "what's the best lube").. but rather the question before us is, is AFE good enough for a 6k mile oci? I think the answer to that question is a resounding yes....

Last edited:
Mad_Hatter, true. If changing according to the Owner's Manual recommendations, one can simply get the cheapest oil in the spec required, any brand, just follow the Manual's specs.
Yet, why write in to an oil forum when the Owner's Manual is right there? I sometimes assume people write in and ask these questions because they don't know about better oils. I could be wrong. Could be they just use us to repeat Owner's Manual info.

Superb oil, the AFE line is vastly underrated. I use the 0W-30 in my Tacoma and go 10k intervals, blackstone says I could go 12k if I wanted so it's long drain capable.

I got a couple 5qt jugs during the rebate deal, I used one jug in the Camry and it seem the engine is louder than the TGMO............granted all 3 Camry's we have had have all been louder than most vehicles but there is a very notable difference after the AFE change.

I agree, that would be the ESP 0w20 you're suggesting. Once it becomes more mainstream the price should drop. So far the best price for it I've seen was last month at NAPA @ $5.49/quart, and a $10 Visa card rebate off of 5 quarts.

Its not a great oil, its a good oil.

I ran it for up to 17K under severe conditions and the UOAs were stellar. I would call that great in any book and would compare it against any oil up to 15K in an MPI engine in mixed use.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Its not a great oil, its a good oil.

I ran it for up to 17K under severe conditions and the UOAs were stellar. I would call that great in any book and would compare it against any oil up to 15K in an MPI engine.

I think some people believe if it's not 100% grp4 or costs less than $8qt, it's not "great"...but what's "great" on paper doesn't necessarily translate to good UOA's. I've seen some "lowly" old house blends turn in stellar UOA's. But hey, I get it.. marketing is a powerful thing and can convince someone that if their oil doesn't have a laundry list of approvals and doesn't require special ordering, it'll grenade their engine....

Some people might liken the aforementioned line of thinking to oil "snobbery"....‚

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back