Keys from a dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The keys I have for my 2001 Silverado have fairly worn teeth and are getting difficult to turn sometimes. I stopped by a local Chevrolet dealer to get one cut by VIN. Of course after showing required documents I asked him how much the key will cost. He told me $15 for the key and I thought it was somewhat reasonable. Then he said another $50 for the key code! This is a plain rubberhead key with no transponder. Am I missing something or do dealers really get $65 for a plain key?

A plain key like that might be a lot cheaper at a locksmith. We have a really good old fashioned locksmith here in my town, I have heard he does a great job on car keys for a lot less than any branded dealer.

Good idea. I will call a local locksmith tomorrow and check with him.

Last edited:
Locksmith charged my mother 176.00 for a key for her Kia. Normal key no transponder. My niece lost the keys. I called dealer and they quoted me 70 but they didn't want to go to the dealer.

I am echoing others, but we ran into this years ago with my parents Chevy Uplander. I ended up getting a new key cut at a local locksmith for maybe $15-$20 if I remember correctly.

The Chevy dealer that I bought my 2004 Silverado from, cut me a key on a Saturday morning for $15 out the door. No key code fee.

I locked the keys in it. I also locked my wallet in it, which had the spare key in it. Also locked inside of the truck was the registration and insurance card.

I couldn't even prove who I was, and that it was my truck, to the dealership.

In a moment of quick thinking, I asked if I salesman who had sold it to me was working. YES, yes he was. So, I had the salesman who sold it to me, vouch for me to the service manager that yes, I was the owner of that truck.

Then I had to borrow the $15 for the key. No wallet, remember?

That was one screwed up Saturday morning,

If they gave you an actual rubber (not plastic) OEM key I would be happy with that price. You're not paying locksmith prices at the dealer, I'm not sure why you would think that you would.

I love those OEM rubber keys! The mid 90s GMT400 ones with the thick rubber are so cool!

I recently paid $26 for a cut steel key for my 82 Mercedes from the dealership.

My 98 S-10 has that security thing in the key, I believe, but I got a spare made at Ace. What's the transponder in an 01 Silverado?

Last year I bought a car that only came with the valet key (no transponder) - which only starts the car but doesn't open glove box or trunk.

After lots of digging I ended up going to a local Ace Hardware store who cut duplicate keys. I bought the transponders off Ebay ($38 for a pair).

I think he charged me around $80 to cut 2 ignition keys. I was sort of surprised that both keys ending up working exactly like OEM ignition keys. Was happy to get everything for $120 as the dealership and local locksmiths were quoting me multiples of that. Many locksmiths don't even do this service any more. I had to call 4 ACE Hardware stores to find one that could do the keying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2
What's the transponder in an 01 Silverado?

No transponder. Just a basic key.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Last year I bought a car that only came with the valet key (no transponder) - which only starts the car but doesn't open glove box or trunk.

After lots of digging I ended up going to a local Ace Hardware store who cut duplicate keys. I bought the transponders off Ebay ($38 for a pair).

I think he charged me around $80 to cut 2 ignition keys. I was sort of surprised that both keys ending up working exactly like OEM ignition keys. Was happy to get everything for $120 as the dealership and local locksmiths were quoting me multiples of that. Many locksmiths don't even do this service any more. I had to call 4 ACE Hardware stores to find one that could do the keying.

Your Ace hardware charges to cut keys?

I had to get several keys cut at Ace recently and as long as I provided the key, they did it free of charge.

That's actually pretty good for a GM Chip Key. I remember when GM first introduced PassKey, dealers charged 300ish a key.

Originally Posted by KE7JFF
That's actually pretty good for a GM Chip Key. I remember when GM first introduced PassKey, dealers charged 300ish a key.
If it were a chip key I wouldn't hesitate but this is a plain key.

I paid $4 each for copes of my 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6 S key. Without a key to go off of, I'm sure a copy would be way more $.

The locksmith couldn't believe a 2015 model year vehicle had a plain old key with no chip in it.

The copies kind of look like old school GM trunk keys. Funny thing is, one of the factory keys takes some fiddling in the ignition, where the copies are perfect.

Last edited:
Pffft.. Just $65? That's a steal compared to what a key(fob) would have cost from my local Nissan dealership for the 2013 Altima I just bought in May. It came with only one key, since (supposedly, according to the sales manager) that's all the previous owner turned in with the car. I asked about another key, and they wanted over $300 for a genuine Nissan fob, including programming. I want to say they quoted $329.

Compared to that, $65 is cheap. Granted, $65 is still overpriced compared to what you could probably get it done for aftermarket.

I found an aftermarket one on Amazon for $40, and found a local locksmith who programmed it for $15. Took him all of about 3 minutes to program it.

Looks like keys for your Silverado are pretty cheap on Amazon, and I bet you can find a locksmith near you to cut and program it pretty cheap.

Originally Posted by JTK
I paid $4 each for copes of my 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6 S key. Without a key to go off of, I'm sure a copy would be way more $.

The locksmith couldn't believe a 2015 model year vehicle had a plain old key with no chip in it.

The copies kind of look like old school GM trunk keys. Funny thing is, one of the factory keys takes some fiddling in the ignition, where the copies are perfect.

Home Depot and Pep Boys can copy a regular key cheaper than that.

Originally Posted by KE7JFF

GM has used some funky keys in the past. VATS was simply a resistor pill in the key and Passlock was simply a magnet in the ignition cylinder.

There are cars that the OEM key is best in - German cars(and now new GM and Ford products using Huf keys) and Lexus since the OEM key is a "harder" nickel alloy unlike the aftermarket brass blank that can leave shards in the cylinder and mess up the works. Brass is still king for keys.

When I worked at a Honda dealer, they wanted all the dealers to use Ilco cutting machines and the OEM keys except for the newer integrated ones seemed to be made by Ilco or Honda Lock. Ilco seems to be the choice of locksmiths and Hillman is used at the box stores and Ace.

Just left a different Chevrolet dealer. I got the key for $26.09. Seems the other dealer was out of line as I suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back