Powersteering belt came off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving home this afternoon the steering became super heavy. I thought at first maybe a tire picked up a nail or something. I was getting dark the tires were fine. When i got home i opened the hood and the power steering belt was hanging down and not connected. I've never had one just come off. I'm going to do some digging in the morning to make sure nothing is damaged or having issues. Never seen this happen. Any suggestions or ideas? The pulley on the power steering turns freely so it's not as if it seized causing the belt to jump. All help appreciated.

What car?

Is the tension adjusted by moving the power steering pump itself ?

I am surprised the belt hung on during the drive home. I would just reattach it and tighten everything up.

How old is the belt ? Belts stretch as they wear, and can become loose enough to jump a pulley if they are tensioned by the accessory ( alternator on my Subaru for example ) and not a separate tensioner. Or, if there is a tensioner, and it goes bad, the belt can flop enough to jump off as well.

Usually you get warning signs from a loosening belt. They will chirp or squeal on start up, or the power steering will shudder as the belt slips when cold.

I just changed the ps / alternator belt on my Subaru. It was very cracked, hard and brittle on the pulley side, and started slipping on cold mornings. It was on my to do list for a little too long ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back