Some online videos don't have fast forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Web is slowly being morphed, bit by bit, from a "pull" model that you control, to a "push" model, like old TV, that providers control.

Is that on Youtube? Maybe they are forcing us to use upgraded versions of the app where we have to pay for the functions to fast forward etc.

My Cable company Rogers has that on their on Demand service. No Commercials, but you cannot FF shows.

Interesting. What media I've seen that is embedded by the provider (not YouTube format) gets a little 15s forward and reverse button. I thought that was contingent upon the browser's media player?

It's hosted on their own site and uses a Javascript DASH player.

But it is a standard mp4 file and can be dowloaded with JDownloader or video downloader plugins, then watched on any player you like.

I didn't watch it: battery snake oils are the worst. Is it an additive or a special charger? Oh, I see from reading the page they're only selling expensive worthless information in a "course."

You can just fast forward to the bottom of the page and click on the link to give them 47 dollars for their magic formula.

Originally Posted by atikovi
No, doesn't appear to be youtube. Works the same on Chrome and Explorer.

My point was trying to be that if not YouTube, it seems that these files have to use an embedded browser player, which streams and buffers media. The fast forward works if there is enough buffer to jump ahead, or so I thought.

I thought this was controlled by the player, not the host.

The obvious thing would be for the host to throttle the media to not provide sufficient buffer, so you couldn't jump ahead, just stream enough bandwidth in real time.

The person who owns content is leveraging a paid offering on Vimeo to host video content and set up permissions and related custom video player controls to leave out fast forward/back up.

The content owner made a conscious choice to do that.

The video itself is a test, and that it can't be skipped over is an important part of the test. Someone who would watch that all the way through and still be interested would be a great mark for other scams.

It's like the little ads for nose hair clippers that used to be in the back of magazines. The company was much more interested in getting name and address of a certain type of person than in selling a bunch of nose hair clippers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
So what's this trick to battery rejuvenation this guy is peddling? I have a dozen scrap car batteries in the basement I could get rich on.

Lead acid is fully understood.

The only way rejuvenation works is on batteries with a known history, that haven't set around dead too long or it's just luck.

(Yes I have run junkyard batteries in my old EV for years)

Generally , any antique, dumb 2 amp battery charger can restore a starting battery partially just by a long charge.

Going more agreesive
Any of the multitude of pulse generators or pulse chargers to desulphate in addition to said dumb 2 amp charger.

Going more aggressive
Adding liquid to sealed batteries/AGM is another trick

More aggressive still
Cobalt sulphide, edta, Epsom salts in that liquid are another trick.

At the end of the day these tricks are only useful in the case you have access to hundreds of dead batteries, as an individual these techniques will work for a time if you over discharge once or twice.

Truly worn, aged or shorted batteries can never be rejuvenated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back