Anyone connect grill to house gas supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says, has anyone done this?

I've done a little Googling and one guy simply removed the grill's regulator and attached it to a yellow flex line. Seems like there should be some sort of regulator or safety shutoff valve, but aside from that the job looks pretty straight forward.

What's the code for gas lines in Indiana?

I have the gas line hooked up to my Webber, but the builder did it when we bought the house. It's black pipe that comes from inside the house. There is a shut off valve outside.

This pic is not my setup but it's similar.

Link to gas line for BBQ

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Yep, an in line regulator under the deck and a shutoff valve behind the grill is all I have.

Makes sense. Theoretically the pressure is already (or should be) in check from the regulator at the house's inlet supply, but the more regulators the better I imagine.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
I think you need different jets/nozzles for NG vs. propane. I did it a long time ago... Love NG though, no tanks, etc.

^^^ Yes - you do. The part number is typically listed in the parts diagram for the grill.

My setup is propane. Filled up my house's tank last month for $.89 a gallon.

Best I can do around here for grill tanks is about $15 at TSC. So far, I've used 5 tanks this year, but I grill year round too.

Last edited:
I don't, but most of the motels at the beach we go to do. I guess it's just shearer and more convenient logistically. What Ive noticed is that the NG grills heat up much slower and don't get as hot.

This could be blamed on any number of things - low line pressure, not being retrofitted correctly, etc. and if I saw it at just one motel I'd probably agree. But we've grilled at probably 8-10 motels at this point at its consistent...

Originally Posted by dlundblad
My setup is propane. Filled up my house's tank last month for $.89 a gallon.

Best I can do around here for grill tanks is about $15 at TSC. So far, I've used 5 tanks this year, but I grill year round too.

$3.35 a gallon here!

Tip: UHaul company owned locations usually refill propane tanks. The tank exchange most have moved towards is more expensive and they don't refill it with 20 pounds.
I've noticed Blue Rhino stating 15 pounds. So if you like spending more for 3/4's of a tank, doing a propane exchange is right for you.

I did the reverse. I inherited a very good barbecue that was set up for natural gas. But in our new house we don't have access to natural gas. The barbecue company (Broil King) sells conversion parts for natural gas to propane. So we bought those and converted to propane. It works reasonably well though it tends to be kind of hot.

And my F-i-L converted a propane barbecue to natural gas. I kept his old propane parts for some time as we had the same brand of barbecue at that time. So, yes it can be done, and either way.

We get our propane at Costco. It's about $10Cdn a tank.

My brother did it several years ago, and converted a generator to run off natural gas after Hurricane Sandy.

Yes. It's a huge convenience and allows grilling in very cold weather (propane doesn't vaporize very well in freezing temperatures).

I have a Weber that I converted to gas when we moved into a house that had gas plumbed to the patio. I see that Weber doesn't sell the conversion kit anymore, but does sell grills that are already set up for natural gas.

Natural gas has about 1/2 the BTU's of propane, so to do a proper conversion the orifice has to be changed.

Our new house has a gas stub, I intended to convert the old grill to NG but found out:

1. Conversion jets not available for the old grill (they come with new grills usually)

2. The proper regulator was around $90, too much to spend on the old grill anyway.

Bought a Weber NG grill and realized how worn out the old one was.

I went the other way. When we built our new house in 2017, I added a gas line to the back deck so I could hook my 1999 era Weber Genesis 1000 series grill up to it and never worry about filling the propane tank again. Except I got hooked on a pellet grill (first was a Traeger then sold it and bought a Pit Boss) and sole my Weber (in excellent condition) to a Weber grill dude. Not looking back!

Last edited:
I've had natural gas grills for over 35 years, one was a converted propane model and the last two were built that way. I like them, the second one was a post mount and the third one is on wheels and connects to the house gas supply through a hose to to an adapter on the house. The advantage to one on wheels is that you can position it out of the wind if necessary.

The only problem I've ever had is forgetting to turn off the grill and letting it run by mistake. But that has only happened twice and it didn't seem to harm anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back