Glasses glare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does spending the extra money for anti glare coatings help? I tend to go middle of the road however certain lights definitely bother me with glare.

Do the coatings work as you spend more on coating?

Yes, definitely worth the cost. I get transitions and crizal antiglare. Also can say I'm happy with Varilux no line progressive lenses.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Does spending the extra money for anti glare coatings help? I tend to go middle of the road however certain lights definitely bother me with glare.

Do the coatings work as you spend more on coating?

Definitely worth every penny spent. ðŸ‘

Wally's aka Walmart has the best prices on glasses with options + they quickly have GLASS glasses without an issue. on that note real GLASS lens give the best clarity + on the cheap clip-ons can handle sun + glare. GLASS is more durable than you are lead to believe + VERY scratch resistant without xtra cost coatings, as cheap plastic lens are MORE profit, so IMO a few days for BETTER cheaper glass lens are worth the weight + although not as lite as "plastics" with todays light durable titanium frames they are very good. seen an interesting vid on how overpriced corrective lens are + dispite the various brands almost ALL are made by the same manufacturer + overpriced according to demand!!

Originally Posted by benjy
Wally's aka Walmart has the best prices on glasses with options + they quickly have GLASS glasses without an issue. on that note real GLASS lens give the best clarity + on the cheap clip-ons can handle sun + glare. GLASS is more durable than you are lead to believe + VERY scratch resistant without xtra cost coatings, as cheap plastic lens are MORE profit, so IMO a few days for BETTER cheaper glass lens are worth the weight + although not as lite as "plastics" with todays light durable titanium frames they are very good. seen an interesting vid on how overpriced corrective lens are + dispite the various brands almost ALL are made by the same manufacturer + overpriced according to demand!!

I'm aware the vast majority of glasses and sunglass frames worldwide are made by one factory anchored in Italy, I wasn't aware that lenses are too. Do you have more info on that? Wondering who is making them and where they are being primarily made.

Don't go cheap on glasses, at least for the lenses. Get the coatings. Anti-glare, scratch resistance, polarized. They are all worth the money.

Originally Posted by BISCUT

I'm aware the vast majority of glasses and sunglass frames worldwide are made by one factory anchored in Italy, I wasn't aware that lenses are too. Do you have more info on that? Wondering who is making them and where they are being primarily made.

Luxottica is the big player in eyeglasses and probably the one you are thinking of. LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Sunglass Hut, Oakley are just a few of their brands

There are a few problems with glass lenses. First of all they break - ever caught a puck or a ball in the face and had an eye full of glass? They're thick and relatively heavy. And they transmit UV-A and UV-B beautifully.

I suppose you could get glass lenses that defeat most of these problems (except for thickness and weight which are built in) but why bother. Polycarbonate (as one example) is thin, light, fracture resistant, and even without coatings blocks a lot of UV-A and UV-B. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
Don't go cheap on glasses, at least for the lenses. Get the coatings. Anti-glare, scratch resistance, polarized. They are all worth the money.

This says it all.

Nope. The anti-glare and anti scratch coatings aren't very effective, and if you keep your lenses for a long time after three-five years the coatings start to fail which can result in
crazing, flaking, and making the lenses UNUSABLE! You've been warned.

I found that the Crizal anti-glare I had a few years back actually caused halos when using them at nighttime while driving!

There are different levels (costs) of anti-glare coatings. I get the light weight lenses and the best (most expensive) anti-glare coatings and they work great. In the past I tried the second best anti-glare coating and could tell the difference. They were not as good as the best.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
There are different levels (costs) of anti-glare coatings. I get the light weight lenses and the best (most expensive) anti-glare coatings and they work great. In the past I tried the second best anti-glare coating and could tell the difference. They were not as good as the best.

Supposedly Crizal is one of the very best you can buy...still didn't like it. I will say they didn't start crazing until about 5-6 years, which made them unusable.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Nope. The anti-glare and anti scratch coatings aren't very effective, and if you keep your lenses for a long time after three-five years the coatings start to fail which can result in
crazing, flaking, and making the lenses UNUSABLE! You've been warned.

I found that the Crizal anti-glare I had a few years back actually caused halos when using them at nighttime while driving!

"You've been warned" - dude we're talking about lenses, not the dangers of raising a wolf pup....‚

Fwiw, i get the glare/scratch coatings every time and have never experienced what you've described..but then again I'm not buying my eyewear from a gas station.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back