Fram Ultra, Napa Platinum, or Baldwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultra FTW. I buy them in lots of 6 off of eBay for good prices, making using them a no-brainer for me.

I usually put 6000 to 8000KM on my car per year. That's not a lot, but I still change the oil once a year. I don't usually go over a year. I want synthetic because of its cleaning properties and its ease of flowing in our winters here. Plus its just all around better oil. I work in an auto parts store, so I can get the Ultra at staff discount. I just wanted to know if the Wix/Napa can was any better.

I've never heard of anything that filters better than a Fram Ultra. Silicone anti drainback valve is a bonus, but they all have that. Only cheap oil filters have the old nitrile valves.
I like the double layer of filtering material in an Ultra with the wire frame backing. Durable, with performance. No contest.

The Baldwin filters are very well built but the Fram Ultra is also well built with better filtration. A few years ago I contacted Baldwin asking for filter efficiency ratings, flow rates etc. Their reps were very helpful and they sent me data on the filters I was using on my
work trucks and personal cars. The data for the Baldwin filters (made specifically for cars) was on par with the old style Purolator white filters and and Fram Extra Guard. Baldwin's are good, basic filters and will give you good service if you follow the OEM maintenance schedule.

I noticed I had one spare Mobil 1 part 212 left. This was before they became the 212A. Do I still have one of the good Mobil 1 filters before they degraded a bit?

The Mobil 1 filter is top quality. Run it.
The Fram Ultra, standard black Wix filter, and the Baldwin will serve you well into the future.
The Ultra will filter better than the Wix or Baldwin, but will cost you a few more dollars. I doubt your Ford will notice the difference.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Ultra FTW. I buy them in lots of 6 off of eBay for good prices, making using them a no-brainer for me.

I use to do this with Napa gold . But how much do you save in those 4-5 years worth of oil change . Unless you use on multi cars . I don't like the idea of storage oil filter more then a years or oil , I know they good for few years , but make me feel it's old .

None of the above

I'd go with a K&N Pro Gold filter from amazon.

they're usually $8 - $15 depending on vehicle.

I have nothing but good to say about KN. Very well constructed filters. I use/used them on 4 vehicles. Love the construction and wrench off nut.

KN Pro Silver is also amazing for shorter OCIs and less severe use. They go for $4-$10 online, again, depending on the vehicle. I use those if i'm too broke for a gold.

I drive down dirt roads frequently, idle, short trips under 5 miles, rural roads going under 50. I oil change every 4K or so with Royal Purple and a KN filter with good results

If you insist on those 3, then Napa platinum can't be beat for a filter bought from a store and not online! Good stuff. Depending on the vehicle, I actually use Napa Golds (Aunt's SUV, Brothers old minivan that use regular ol Dino and have a 3K OCI)

As to Fram, I'm sure they're OK. But their orange filters kind of spoil my image for the rest.

Baldwin.... I've heard the name, never seen one in person

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back