Well pressure tank pressure switch issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

My new to me home (built in 1997) is on a well. The type of well is unknown. An Amtrol Well-X-Trol WX-2 pressure tank is in my basement laundry room.

The tank sits at 77 PSI and the pressure switch turns the pump on at 64 PSI. Everything that I've read says it should be 60 psi (high) & 40 psi (low).

I don't have water pressure issues and the current configuration keeps the pump turning on frequently/short cycling.

Am I wrong for being concerned?

Short cycling usually happens when the bladder in the tank is bad and water fills up the side that's supposed to be air.

Originally Posted by KD0AXS
Short cycling usually happens when the bladder in the tank is bad and water fills up the side that's supposed to be air.

I've watched a video on how to adjust the high and low pressure settings. I think I'm going to set those to what appears to be a standard of 60/40 and adjust the tank to 38 psi. Due to the tanks age, I suspect that you're correct.

I believe that you are right. The pump and motor will last longer if you can reduce the cycling rate. If you can adjust the pressure switch, lower the start/stop pressures and increase the difference between the two as far as acceptable water pressure will allow. My pressure tank cycles between 40 and 20 psi but the flow rate is noticeably less at the bottom of the pressure range.

My father in law installed an oversized pressure tank when his went out. Might be worth looking into if you need to replace it and have the room.

Less pump cycling equals longer pump life.

As a dealer of the tanks I have worked on thousands of them. Let all the water out of the tank and set the pressure at 37-38 lbs. Set the pressure switch to 40/60. The pump should run for a bout a minute when it comes on. If it only runs for a few seconds, the tank is shot and must be replaced. Also when the tank is full tap sharply on the upper portion of the tank. It should sound hollow. If you only have a thud the bladder is ruptured and water is in the upper chamber. Replace the tank as the water is now in contact with metal that is not designed to hold water. Internal corrosion is occuring and the tank could rupture.
Google Amtrol Well-X-Trol manual and read it carefully. It will help you to know what to do.

There should be a pressure valve on the outside of the tank on top. It might look like a tire valve. Depress the center. If water comes out the tank is done for.

Unfortunately, I don't know the pump HP. That would help me size out the replacement x-trol if it comes to that....

Here's what the tag says on the top of the well:

6 1/4in diameter well, 180 ft depth, casing depth 36 ft, static water level 10, yield 70.

I set the air pressure in my tank at 3PSI below the "PUMP ON" switch pressure.

Don't be afraid to adjust (within reason) the pressure settings on your well. Just because a switch is 20-40PSI does not mean you must be subject to pathetic 20PSI water pressure. There is no "Should Be" in this case. Well pump type, depth and needs dictate capability. I run 70-90PSI on my 2HP pump.

Also, you can use a small tank if you incorporate a CSV, a Cycle Stop Valve. It's a simple device that prevents the pump from cycling by restricting waterflow to the tank, during periods of lower than max flow. Pressure loss is minimal and typically about 3PSI. There is no real flow loss, as it will fully open during peak demand.

I have one and it works really well for my needs.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Valves...&hvtargid=pla-435536637344&psc=1

CSV1A_large.jpg

Originally Posted by dja4260
Originally Posted by PimTac
What size tank do you have now?

44 gallon Amtrol Well-X-Trol WX-2 pressure tank

That seems on the small size to me. I used to run a 110 gallon tank back in the days I lived on a well. I'm not sure what is the standard recommendation these days.

Originally Posted by walterjay
As a dealer of the tanks I have worked on thousands of them. Let all the water out of the tank and set the pressure at 37-38 lbs. Set the pressure switch to 40/60. The pump should run for a bout a minute when it comes on. If it only runs for a few seconds, the tank is shot and must be replaced. Also when the tank is full tap sharply on the upper portion of the tank. It should sound hollow. If you only have a thud the bladder is ruptured and water is in the upper chamber. Replace the tank as the water is now in contact with metal that is not designed to hold water. Internal corrosion is occuring and the tank could rupture.
Google Amtrol Well-X-Trol manual and read it carefully. It will help you to know what to do.

I decided to check my air pressure so I drained all the water out of the tank but It still shows 10 psi of water pressure and air pressure is 15 psi. What should I do?

Pressure gauge doesn't read zero when you know the pressure is zero means the gauge is bad.

I like to use only the water pressure gauge to set up the tank pressure, so then you don't have to trust the water gauge and your air gauge to match.

* Disable the pump by turning off the circuit breaker. Also a good idea to turn off the water heater so it won't run dry if you happen to drain the water out of it.
* Open one of the taps and bleed all the water out of the system. Watch the gauge go down and note the gauge reading when the switch clicks on.
* Close the tap and "bump" the pump switch or breaker to put a little bit of water in the tank. (If the pressure switch has a lockout, you need to lift the lockout lever to start the pump with zero pressure.)
* When there is any water in the tank bladder, the air pressure and the water pressure are the same. Add or remove air to bring the pressure to 2 psi less than when the switch turned on.
* Start the pump and run the system through a test cycle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by walterjay

As it is currently set up, the pump ran for 58 seconds. I cut the water on until the pump kicked on, shut the water off and timed it.

however 77 high and 64 low is incorrect. Tank pressure showed 55psi. I'm going to set the high low to 60/40 and pressure to 38.

How many gallons did you get out of the expansion tank with it full and the pump shut off?

Enough to flush a toilet 2x ? If so, your tank bladder may be OK. with a 6 gallon drawdown on a 25 gross gallonage tank,

During low demand The X-trol tank provides water pressure to the home - the pump fills the tank.

Do you have a second floor with shower?
you will likely need near 60 psi to get decent flow from a shower head in an upstair bathroom if the pump is in the basement.

I have a drilled well with a new glassfibre tank and a variable speed pump with motor controller( hate it) . I have a smaller one than before as we are only two people and very conservative on water use.

Suggestion - get your water tested to make sure it's safe ( bacteria, MTBE, fluoride, dissolved RADON etc)

Another thing if you have the bladder over-pressurised, you will know as you will have the water flow cutoff before the pump starts.

So you may have a faucet running, then nothing. Then a couple seconds later water again = tank precharge above pump cut-ON.

I run my tank 5 psig below pump cutoff. I suppose this gives me a bit more tank capacity - I don't think it would hurt anything (?)

My tank is a wellmate with a balloon inside a fibreglass hemisphere, not a diaphram AFAIKR.

good luck you should be fine.

Last edited:
When you pressurize the air bladder be sure to have the drain on the bottom of the tank open. Also when that drain is open the guage should read 0. If not get a new guage.
Your tank is 22 years old. Lifespan is usually 18-20 years. Any doubts replace the tank.
You have a WX-250 tank. You should not need to go bigger. That size covers a wide range of residential requirements for a well at your depth. If you replace it get the same brand. Amtrol has a 7 year warranty and many features that other tanks just don't have. Cost a couple dollars more but you really do get what you pay for.

I played with the adjustments and the tank is now set with a high of 70, and low of 52. Air pressure is set at 50 psi. Adjustments were finicky and that was the best I could get. I need the higher pressure to get quality pressure on the second floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back