How many oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many oil weights do we really need....its complicated...imho 5w30 will work in many many engines....lots of experimenting goes on in here...example some folks are using 15w40 or thicker in 4 cylinder engines..why--just for fun I guess...

So whats your experimental engine oil you have used?

me: 15w40 in my 2005 LaSabre,,,it did fine...but not I just use 5w30 and all is well..

I've used 5w-50 Castrol Edge many years ago.

My Caravan is spec'd for 5w-20, after I'm done with this run of Valvoline Synpower 5w-20, I'm switching back to 5W-30 for both vehicles. Full Synthetic in Winter and Conventional in Summer.

Based on what I've read here, many people use thicker oils to slow consumption or for older vehicles. Some love 20w-50 in their engines. Others use whatever they get on sale in their rides, especially if they are older vehicles.

Last edited:
For pcmo's, a 5 and 10w30 are the sweet spot here in NA imo... that is unless you're chasing mpgs or have an issue with loose rings. 5w30 and 10w are also readily available off the shelf with a number of mfgs to choose from.

If you can get the thread moved to the Auto General or PCMO sub forum, you'll likely get more participation.

Last edited:
I could get away with running 0W40 in all vehicles "except" the Acura in signature. Engine/motor just does not run as smooth or as efficient as on a 20 weight motor oil --- been there done that.

Well how many candy bars do we need? Brands of Beer? Brands of Ketchup? Who needs Diet Caffeine Free Mountain Dew?
Why do I have 10 different choices on oil filters for my car?

If theres a buck in your pocket..someone somewhere is trying to figure how to get that buck for themselves.

You can run 5w30 in a diesel and 15w40 in a gasser. Its your buck.

Whats the weirdest oil i have run? There was some kind of Ferrari oil i think on clearance from AZ a few years ago.. i dont remember the brand. I ran it in my Honda Fit.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Whats the weirdest oil i have run?

I recently ran some Lignerouge Oil I found online for $45.00/gallon and now that makes me feel like a schnook

lol.gif

Originally Posted by CourierDriver

How many oil weights do we really need ...

Or, how many brands / flavours of a specific oil grade do we need ? Take 5w30 for example, and look at only one brand, Mobil. We have ...

M1 5w30

M1 5w30 AP

M1 5w30 HM

M1 5w30 EP

M1 5w30 EP/HM

M1 5w30 ESP

M1 5w30 Truck and SUV

Plus,

Mobil Super 5w30

Mobil Super 5w30 HM

And this is only one brand ...

- I like Diet Caffeine Free Mountain Dew! The last thing I need is caffeine to make sleep impossible. As for sugar, no one needs that.

- One more Mobil 5W30 to add to the list above: Super Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back