Visionworks $89 for 2 progressives, whats the catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcomer to the progressive lens world. I have been looking around for the cost-effective progressives as the eye doctor mentioned not to spend a ton of money on the first pair. He claimed some love it, some hate it. So unless I know what I like or can work with, not to spend more than $150, if possible.

I usually get my glasses from EyeBuyDirect and never had a problem. So tried ordering yesterday and it came out about $100 for a pair. Thought before dropping a benjamin, should try just reading glasses. On the way back from groceries, I noticed a banner at Visionworks, $89 for 2 pairs of progressives. I have very little trust in those Italian monopoly owned stores. I am curious, if anybody tried it, what's the catch? Just get the shoppers in the store and then jack the price for every tiny addition?

The fine print only said, any frame worth $69.95, no mention of the type of lenses. I don't want to waste my time to realize that after all additions the cost is just abt $100 a pair like EyeBuyDirect.

My wife has glasses, but wears contacts most of the time. She went to one of those places that advertises eye glasses for a low price. She said something about the cheap glasses having non coated lenses and was told by an associate they would glare and to upgrade to the coated lenses.

I've encountered those "deals" in the past. Most likely, the base lenses are pure poly-carbonate and aren't scratch resistant nor are they high-index material. In short, the base lenses will scratch very easily and will be thicker than coke bottles. As soon as you add the 2 options that make them usable, the price triples or quadruples. If you want anti-glare and chromatic correction, add another $150 on top of that.

Try an optical shop, and ask to see their safety glasses. The prices are much less than the racks of high-fashion "designer" frames...and they hold up much better.

Granger has $80 wraparound safety frames that are dead ringers for the $400 Oakleys.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Instead of guessing call the store.

Agree. I'm sure after you get in there the add on's start.

Originally Posted by SrDriver
I have been using Zenni Vision for years. They have quality glasses and great prices too.

Link To Zenni Vision Glasses

Have some friends who order from them too.

For progressive lenses, it is tricky to order online since there are actually 2 different PD (pupil distance).
One for the far and one for the near.
They can be different due to the shape and size of the eyes, which are definitely unique for different people.

Just saying.

There are grades of progressive lens. The cheap ones only have the compound curve on one side, and the focused area is very narrow, especially at medium distances.

Coincidentally a commercial just came one while watching law and order marathon, company called Warby Parker. Staring at 95 bucks and the lenses are top quality.

Originally Posted by domer10
Coincidentally a commercial just came one while watching law and order marathon, company called Warby Parker. Staring at 95 bucks and the lenses are top quality.

That's what the commercial said?

I've heard of them. Supposedly a decent place to get glasses but it all depends. If your prescription is complicated then I might reconsider. But that is up to each customer to decide.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by domer10

That's what the commercial said?

I've heard of them. Supposedly a decent place to get glasses but it all depends. If your prescription is complicated then I might reconsider. But that is up to each customer to decide.

Just giving OP another option to look at is all, and considering he was concerned about quality of the lenses, and they stated their lenses are quality lenses, by no means did I mean that for fact or by experience, just giving him option to look at.

I've used EyeBuyDirect for years. Never an issue, they do have warranties as well. Normally theyll have a BOGO sale a few times a year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back