New Civic windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
The '15 Civic LX 4dr sedan needs a new front windshield. It was replaced from the previous owner with a PILKINGTON but, it too has cracked.

Question is, if the Insurance Co doesn't pay for a new HONDA Civic windshield, is there any brand to stay away from? Is Pilkington a good replacement...again?

Bought the car used in 2018. This summer(after about 1 year of ownership), we noticed a sparkle in the glass while driving when the sun was just right.

It was coming from under the rearview mirror mount and spreading out about 1/8"-1/4". Now it's over 12" long. My daughter hear a loud POP while driving.

The car wasn't in a accident but, did have the OE glass replaced due to a kicked up rock.

CB....I had to have the windshield in my Rogue replaced and after a lot of research I went with Pilkington. There is a slight flaw when I look in the passenger side but its not too bad. My dad had his old Mercedes replaced by Safelite in the 90's and it was horrible. It was like looking through prescription glasses. Literally made me sick and gave me a headache. Since then I have heard Safelite is much better and I have heard more complaints regarding Pilkington. So at this time I really do not know. I do know that the people doing the installation is just as important as the maker of the glass.

Thanks mcrn.
My daughter lives in PA so, we're not sure if she'll have it repaired there or when she come home for Thanksgiving. The Civic currently has a Pilkington windshield in it and it too is as clear as day.

I called my local Honda dealership and they use a well known auto glass company here in Rochester. I've known of this glass company all of my life so, I'd trust'em. This glass installers will also travel to the dealership where they can work inside the Honda service dept or I can take it to their shop. I can just drop off the car at Honda. They'll deal with the insurance company.

When I found the crack in the windshield, and under magnification, you can see that the crack started (not on the inside or outside of the car) but, in the middle of glass. OR, the crack is under the BLACK perforated area where the sun visors don't reach(and the rearview mirror mount is attached to).

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Question is, if the Insurance Co doesn't pay for a new HONDA Civic windshield, is there any brand to stay away from?

Doubt they would pay $600 for a Honda glass when a $100 aftermarket one will fit.

If you were satisfied with Pilkington, use them again
smile.gif

FYG/Fuyao is another good choice.

Like others said, Pilkington could be the OE supplier. If they are, then you had the same windshield but without the Honda logo, with everything else being identical. Fuyao and PGW are also OE suppliers.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Pilkerton is an OE for Honda, its good glass IME.

Thank you DR.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Question is, if the Insurance Co doesn't pay for a new HONDA Civic windshield, is there any brand to stay away from?

Doubt they would pay $600 for a Honda glass when a $100 aftermarket one will fit.

Thanks but, I'm looking for brands to avoid.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If you were satisfied with Pilkington, use them again
smile.gif

FYG/Fuyao is another good choice.

Like others said, Pilkington could be the OE supplier. If they are, then you had the same windshield but without the Honda logo, with everything else being identical. Fuyao and PGW are also OE suppliers.

Thanks, good info!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I recently detailed a Civic and its OEM glass was made by Fuyao/FYG. Flawless glass aside from the usual highway induced pitting that any windshield will get nowadays.

All of the windows on this 2015 Civic are labeled "HONDA" except the front windshield which tells me that it was replaced. Other Hondas that we've owned were all Honda etched glass.

My '15 Altima's glass is all "Carlex"...every window!

Last edited:
Study some of the other windshield replacement threads. The entire windshield replacement market is topsy-turvy. Today's Pilkington (or any brand) aftermarket windshield might be different than the OEM one of same brand.

Talk to your installer before the work is done and try to get them to do the removal/installation process correctly. On my last install from a good local company, a dufass damaged the metal/paint that the glass attaches to.

Best of luck to you.

My daughter's previous car('06 Mazda 3) had the windshield replaced by the previous owner and it was a terrible butcher job. Both A-pillars were bubbling & rusting badly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
Study some of the other windshield replacement threads. The entire windshield replacement market is topsy-turvy. Today's Pilkington (or any brand) aftermarket windshield might be different than the OEM one of same brand.

Talk to your installer before the work is done and try to get them to do the removal/installation process correctly. On my last install from a good local company, a dufass damaged the metal/paint that the glass attaches to.

Best of luck to you.

The DOT code on the glass is now a better indicator of anything than the brand name. PGW, Pilkington, AGC, NSG.. doesn't mean jack anymore.

However, I have a gut feeling that Ford's partnership with Carlex is different because it seems like Carlex windshields are a LOT less distorted and wavy than basically every other brand. Ever since I had my own windshield replacement fiasco, I look through the windshields of cars in the parking lot every time I go shopping. Fords almost universally seem to have 1) the OEM glass which could indicate it never cracked and needed replacing, and 2) look optically superior. F150 glass is especially good for some reason.

But wait! Nissans with Carlex windshields are really hit or miss. I was looking at Titans the other day in a Nissan dealer lot and those windshields are pretty bad.

Anyone can make anything to a price point. Last one we did was a decade ago, and we used ppg because the prior replacement of cheap Mexican made glass was so wavy it was horrible.

Thanks mcrn.
My daughter lives in PA so, we're not sure if she'll have it repaired there or when she come home for Thanksgiving. The Civic currently has a Pilkington windshield in it and it too is as clear as day.

Unless the trip from her home in PA to yours is a short one, I'd advise her getting the job done closer to home, just in case she has to return for a problem.

Insurance won't pay for OEM unless you have a problem child car in regards to ADAS. I've noticed Safelite is now stocking a few Honda or Subaru OEM pieces for those.

You'll get Pilkington, Fuyao/FYG, Benson or XYG(also sold as an PGW) depending on the luck of the draw. Vitro bought out the OEM business of PGW and while LKQ has an agreement to buy more PGW-branded glass from them, Vitro has been pushing the Crinamex name more for aftermarket glass.

Pilk and FYG seem to be the better of the aftermarket glass. I have Pilkingtons in two cars and they seem to be better than the Safelite-made one in one car and almost equal to the old Thai-made Asahi in an other. Avoid DOT 593/563 if possible. Those are XYG/Benson pieces. XYG tends to be one of the worse for quality.

Caveat emptor, the aftermarket ones will be ever slightly different than OEM. Pilkington makes most of their aftermarket glass in Mexico with DOT 177 as that plant's code. FYG is an OEM supplier but some pieces won't have the same OEM accouterments. Pilkington has been known to take OEM pieces and screen over the OEM's marks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back