Drove on asphalt before drying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
In every sealing job I've seen, you have to clear the driveway. Why was the car on the driveway in the first place? Were they going to seal around it?

Something doesn't make sense here.

It is a condo / townhouse complex and the common driveway. My FIL didn't move the car outside prior to the sealing and therefore just bust his way out even when the crew tell him not to. Yup, old stubborn people. Emergency or not, my FIL should have at least tell the crew and help walk my MIL out to haul an uber or something. I don't think they really visited a hospital, my MIL was just nausea because of the fume. Anyways, damage is done and HOA won't pay for it, and my FIL said he will "make it right" but he wants to just do it himself (knowing his personality of low quality and big attitude, even I would say no to that).

I double check the letter and it is a sealing instead of an asphalt job. They said we will be on the hook for a "repair", "power wash", and "coating" but they didn't say how much. They want us to contact the company or may face a "fine". I'm sure it will cost money despite any emergency, just try to make sure they are not gouging on the situation. So, how much in a commercial job like this?

Last edited:
I love the mentality of its a HOA, they can take it...

If you drove on one of my employers roads and damaged it before it was done, you (or your insurance company more precisely) is responsible for cost of the repairs. You also get a nice ticket (which is not in the HOA's purview).

The residents were noticed it was happening. If there was a fire or emergency service call, this would be an inconvenience only. Nothing more dangerous than that. Happens all the time in construction.

HOA should recoup their costs which at this point nobody knows... Just a lot of wasted breath and hand gesturing. Without local knowledge, or any details of how long, far etc... nobody on this board can give you a reasonable number, period.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by JLTD
I would just tell them it was an emergency situation to go to the hospital… And that you're not going to sacrifice someone's life because of some pavement.

They're gonna say, if it was a real emergency, you would have called an ambulance.

"I thought about that, but an ambulance would have made 2 sets of tracks with dual rear wheels. Plus it is a x minute response time and where we were going was less than that."

They would have parked 100 feet away and took her away with a stretcher on the sidewalk. Or if her vitals were ok, probably told her to take some Pepto and lie down on the couch for an hour.

Originally Posted by Win
Around here it would not be that much.

I've recently had entire asphalt parking lots sealed / striped for less than a kilobuck. .

I'm sure Cali prices, are, um, higher, but still it's really not a very big deal. Or should not be.

It is the "minimum spending before we will send out a crew" that scares me. A lot of jobbers won't come unless it is a couple K worth of work. Let's hope we can find either someone willing to do it in desperation or for a quick one piggy backing another job nearby.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Father in law pays to get the repair redone professionally--no question in my mind. ed

Yep, the rules are the rules if they thought they might have need to leave in a vehicle it should have been parked on the street temporarily.

FIL needs take personal responsibility.

Your in-laws sound like a piece of work and they have no leg to stand on. He's going to pay for it and let him pay for it. Do it himself? Yeah, sure LOL. Should have thought about having to use his car before parking it in despite being given advance notice.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Let him try his hack at fixing it. Maybe it will work....

The HOA won't allow that, and why should they? Advanced notice was given and they ignored it anyway. The FIL needs to pay up and face the music.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Let him try his hack at fixing it. Maybe it will work....

The HOA won't allow that, and why should they? Advanced notice was given and they ignored it anyway. The FIL needs to pay up and face the music.

In case they let him.

Something bought at a big box store likely won't be the same quality as what was professionally installed.

Assuming there's no obvious mismatch, it's going to have to hold up as long as the original stuff too.

I can't see them settling for this.

Maybe I'm not understanding something--did the HOA provide them with a separate area to park their vehicle while the work was being done? It's not reasonable to tell people to not use their vehicles around their property without accommodating them.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
Maybe I'm not understanding something--did the HOA provide them with a separate area to park their vehicle while the work was being done? It's not reasonable to tell people to not use their vehicles around their property without accommodating them.

Seems to me like the HOA warned them and I'd figure that they told homeowners to park on the street if they needed to use their vehicles while driveway sealing was being done.

Yes, HOA warned them and there are street parking. My guess is my FIL is just lazy and didn't take the work time seriously. You know how many old people think they are beyond rules just because back in their days they were in charge, or they always get their way when they talk loud enough.

Car insurance claim? Even if you can get to claim it you will pay it back ultimately. He bought a brand new top of the line Camry Hybrid just because "you don't go down when you get another car".

Let's hope the HOA and the contractor won't try to rob me on this. All I'm wishing for is a reasonable price.

Car insurance certainly would pay this, as the damage is a result of his improper driving. They also have a lot more clout to argue the price than you do-- it's their job.

Originally Posted by mk378
They also have a lot more clout to argue the price than you do-- it's their job.

They have no clout in this situation. The HOA and/or contractor can and will dictate how it's repaired and the cost to do it. If the auto insurance doesn't like the charges, they'll just refuse to pay the claim. They do have that right or option. Then the HOA, contractor, and FIL can sue the insurance company to try and make them pay.

The scenario is the same as if someone hits your car and their insurance says they'll use "used" parts. You can fight it and sometimes win but the insurance can also stand firm. Then your option is pay the difference for new parts out of your own pocket and then sue the insurance company for the difference.

It's reasonable for your FIL to pay for the sealing to be redone where he damaged it.

If you lived in the HOA you would want it done properly and not want to have some of your HOA dues spent to do it a second time.

I am surprised the sealcoating company did not fix it while they were there with people, tools and sealant.

These days sealcoating companies are getting rid of leftover sealant before winter. My son-in-law has hundreds of gallons in his 10,000 tank on the ground and some in his trucks.

Maybe this was "topping" where they put a thin layer of asphalt on top of existing asphalt rather than sealing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back