Almost out of NuFinish, what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I'm cheap and lazy, NuFinish is a dream product. But I'm almost out. For my next product, knowing I'm cheap and lazy, what do you recommend? Anything "new" and "cutting edge" that you can just wipe on, wipe off, won't stain trim (stupid NuFinish) and beads water for months? Or something old?

Again...I'm lazy and cheap. Longish lasting, cheap, easy to apply.

Looking forward to the flaming...I mean knowledge.

More NuFinish .
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Warstud
More NuFinish .
grin2.gif

I was kind of hoping for this answer. I can do a car in under an hour and feel like it's reasonably protected for a PNW winter until I do it again in the spring.

NuFinish falls into the category called "Cleaner Waxes". If it is working for you then just stick with it. But if you wanted to try something different that is in the same category as NuFinish, then I would try Meguairs Cleaner Wax or Klasse All-in-One.

Originally Posted by PimTac
🚤🎣

Trolling? Not really, just looking to see if there's something else for my lazy paint detailing self. But ok.

Matt1980, someone else mentioned Meguairs Cleaner Wax that I know. They said it doesn't stain trim. I was thinking of trying that next. Is it as easy on/off do you know?

Would be interested in this too. Lately I've been using Meguiars Ultimate quik wax, sprays on and it's done quick, done in 20 minutes. Only lasts a couple months, but it seems pretty good. I was going to switch to ultimate liquid wax but I figured I'd try the new Turtle Wax Ceramic spray coating, supposed to last up to a year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XYPS3PS

Originally Posted by Matt1980
NuFinish falls into the category called "Cleaner Waxes".

The stuff in the metal can is more of a cleaner Wax than the stuff in the plastic container.

I used nu finish ( that I actually bought for the gas stove top baked enamel area to make clean up easier)
on my new vw jetta lease since i park under pine and maple trees and get sap and stain.

I did a good prep and wash and applied a goodly amount.

Looked good felt slickery for a week then after a hard rainstorm ... nothing!

No shine no beading

Yes, easy on off - but if it doesn't really last its not worth the effort.

In the distant past, my cars did well behind my elbow with

Top of the line turtle wax products and maybe an armor-all wax.

And something in a blue can and the wax was powder blue - but it wasn't 'blue coral"

That stuff was awesome.

There are tonnes of great stuff out there, the wax gurus will tell you the ne plus ultra detailing products

There was a LOOOONG nufinish thread here a month ago or so.

read that first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by PimTac
🚤🎣

Trolling? Not really, just looking to see if there's something else for my lazy paint detailing self. But ok.

Matt1980, someone else mentioned Meguairs Cleaner Wax that I know. They said it doesn't stain trim. I was thinking of trying that next. Is it as easy on/off do you know?

Yes, It's a wipe on wipe off product. However being a cleaner wax you want to use a tad more pressure than you would use with a straight sealant. When you see the shine start to appear then you can immediately buff off.

NuFinish falls into the category called "Cleaner Waxes". If it is working for you then just stick with it. But if you wanted to try something different that is in the same category as NuFinish, then I would try Meguairs Cleaner Wax or Klasse All-in-One.

I use both NuFinsh and Meguairs Cleaner Wax .

Both are good products and easy to work with. However the Meguiars Cleaner/Wax lasts approximately half as long than NuFinish.

Again-I use and like BOTH products.

I love the FK1000 but it has no cleaning ability, just protection. If you need to clean and protect the way you have been doing the NuFinish will serve you well. Cleaner waxes will NOT last!

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Would be interested in this too. Lately I've been using Meguiars Ultimate quik wax, sprays on and it's done quick, done in 20 minutes. Only lasts a couple months, but it seems pretty good. I was going to switch to ultimate liquid wax but I figured I'd try the new Turtle Wax Ceramic spray coating, supposed to last up to a year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XYPS3PS

Well, this Turtle Wax is interesting...

Originally Posted by 007
I love the FK1000 but it has no cleaning ability, just protection. If you need to clean and protect the way you have been doing the NuFinish will serve you well. Cleaner waxes will NOT last!

That is one of the reasons why I will still use Klasse All-in-One occasionally on my families cars. It is a wipe on wipe off cleaner wax that will last 3-4 months under normal conditions. Probably won't work for the OP though since it is expensive and you have to order it. He wants something cheap and readily available locally. I have always wanted to try FK1000, but nowadays I am more into WOWO sealants. Longevity has never been a priority of mine since I won't go more than 6 weeks without reapplying my sealants. Except for the winter months because even I wont get out there in do that in 30 degree weather.

Originally Posted by CKN

Both are good products and easy to work with. However the Meguiars Cleaner/Wax lasts approximately half as long than NuFinish.

The same. I discovered that Meguires would not last nearly as long as NuFinish in LA's atmosphere. Have primarily used NuFinish for years, but have used DuPont #7, Simoniz, Blue Coral three step, that '2000' product in the neon lime green bottle [ came in first in a CR test with NuFinish second ].

NuFinish is not a wax nor is it a polish. From the link below:

Q.- Darren, how is it that Nu Finish is neither a car polish or car wax?

A.- For a product to be correctly labeled as a polish, it requires some form of abrasives as part of the ingredient list. For a product to be correctly labeled as a car wax, it must have some form of natural wax ingredient; Nu Finish car polish has neither abrasives or wax. Nu Finish should be labeled as a car paint sealant or sealer, as it is made using 100% synthetic ingredients.

http://www.cleanyourcarhq.com/nu-finish-liquid-car-polish-review/

https://www.expert-mobile-car-detailing.com/nu-finish-car-polish.html

So: not a cleaner.

Go with what works. I've used NuFinish since it came out in the 70s. My 05 ION looks like a late model and my 63 Valiant [ painted 17 years ago ] and the paint is still glossy and deep. Neither have seen anything but NuFinish.

Maybe McGuires has improved over the years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Originally Posted by CKN

The same. I discovered that Meguires would not last nearly as long as NuFinish in LA's atmosphere. Have primarily used NuFinish for years, but have used DuPont #7, Simoniz, Blue Coral three step, that '2000' product in the neon lime green bottle [ came in first in a CR test with NuFinish second ].

NuFinish is not a wax nor is it a polish. From the link below:

Q.- Darren, how is it that Nu Finish is neither a car polish or car wax?

A.- For a product to be correctly labeled as a polish, it requires some form of abrasives as part of the ingredient list. For a product to be correctly labeled as a car wax, it must have some form of natural wax ingredient; Nu Finish car polish has neither abrasives or wax. Nu Finish should be labeled as a car paint sealant or sealer, as it is made using 100% synthetic ingredients.

http://www.cleanyourcarhq.com/nu-finish-liquid-car-polish-review/

https://www.expert-mobile-car-detailing.com/nu-finish-car-polish.html

Go with what works.

NuFinish has always been ambiguous with their marketing, but regardless of what they say it still falls under the umbrella of an all in one type product, they can say it contains no wax, but it still leaves something behind on the finish that is meant to protect the paint. In the end it doesn't matter what it is, it works and it is fine product hat is easily available, no matter what you want to call it.

https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?13089-Nu-Finish-what-is-it

Last edited:
I don't know, Nufinish is ok to use after say a car hasn't been waxed in a long time, cleaner waxes are a bit harsh on clear coat/paint. Why don't you just use a maintainer spray wax, or now that you have used nufinish, use a finishing wax or caranuba wax. But ideally a spray wax would hold up real well after nufinish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back