Fram TG3387A 10,000kms Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
10,000 kms on a 2007 Buick Rendezvous with PP 0W30.

Replaced with a Mobil1 filter and Valvoline Syn 5w30.

This is the first OCI I've done since acquiring the vehicle, 106k kms on the vehicle.

First time cutting open a Tough Gaurd, most filters have a spring attached to the metal peice for bypass. The TG only had a peice of metal on the bypass end. Was it missing something or is the metal peice basically designed to bend/ spring at bypass pressure. It didnt seem very pliable.

20191102_091734.jpg

20191102_091820.jpg

20191102_091847.jpg

20191102_091937.jpg

20191102_091914.jpg

20191102_091924.jpg

20191102_091956.jpg

Oil looks pretty dark… I would not be so sure about that short interval… Previous owner may have exaggerated when they changed the oil.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
http://www.fram.com/parts-search/TG3387A

This one has no bypass. If that is what is called out for your car, the bypass is in the engine so the filter should not have one.

Okay I will double check that. I just went by the Fram filter finder tablet at the store.

That piece of thin stamped steel is the spring. And if the filter had a by-pass valve it would be in the middle of the spring, like this ...

[Linked Image]

Yeah that's what I'm used to seeing ^^

I cant find any information stating that the bypass is in the engine, but all sites are showing these as the correct filter with no bypass.

Engine is the LX9 3500 V6 if I recall.

Originally Posted by mcwilly
Yeah that's what I'm used to seeing ^^

I cant find any information stating that the bypass is in the engine, but all sites are showing these as the correct filter with no bypass.

Engine is the LX9 3500 V6 if I recall.
Older GM vehicles have block bypass. A GM specing the topic application would be one of those. Topic vehicle included.

The bypass flat spring combo pictured this thread is a Champ Labs made example.

The filter looks very good and the oil does not look particularly dirty to me either. As already mentioned, the 3387 is for GM applications that already have a bypass in the block. So the filter doesn't have one, that is correctly made.

Wix data for this app shows no bypass.

Part Number: 51040
UPC Number: 765809510401
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 3.45(88)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921(74)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 18X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 325
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21
( )* denotes metric
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 (69)* 2.430 (62)* 0.226 (6)*
Principle Application:
Principle Application: Daewoo (99-02), Chevrolet - GM Cars/Trucks (76-17), Saab (94-98)

Would there be any adverse effect to running an oil filter with a bypass on an engine that has an internal bypass?

Does anyone know if GM publishes the internal bypass PSI spec for their engines? I'm not able to find anything.

Would there be any adverse effect to running an oil filter with a bypass on an engine that has an internal bypass?

Does anyone know if GM publishes the internal bypass PSI spec for their engines? I'm not able to find anything.

The only thing I can think of is that if the filter bypass is a lower psi than the engine bypass, then it s bypassing too early.

Originally Posted by JLTD

The only thing I can think of is that if the filter bypass is a lower psi than the engine bypass, then it s bypassing too early.

I could be wrong but I think you are right man... Hopefully it was the same bypass psi..

According to GM's parts catalog it's set at 11 psi. Service manual doesn't list a spec that I can find.

Okay thanks, I was thinking of seeing if I have room for an oversize filter, XG3600 came to mind with 12 psi bypass.

Okay thanks, I was thinking of seeing if I have room for an oversize filter, XG3600 came to mind with 12 psi bypass.

Don't second guess the manufacturer. You will not load up that small filter and from the pics of your filter (which look good) I don't know why you want to mess with something that works well.
BTW- I believe the 3600 has different threads than the 3387A.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener

BTW- I believe the 3600 has different threads than the 3387A.

You are correct. 3600 is primarily a FoMoCo filter, 3387 is a GM filter. They do have different threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back