Techron concentrate plus sizes

What's going on here? I bought 3 bottles of Techron Concentrate plus complete fuel system cleaner.

10oz from Walmart, treats 15 gallons.
12 oz from amazon, treats 12 gallons.
20oz from amazon, treated 20 gallons.

Is the Walmart version different? Stronger concentration? The bottles all look the same other than the size and the amount of gas it treats.

Does the Walmart techron bottle say that 10 ounces treats 15 gallons or just the website? I saw the website and thought they made a mistake. The Techron site, when explaining not to put a whole bottle in a small fuel tank, says they recommend 1 ounce to a gallon.

Last edited:
walmart is usng the ole "up to". trick. this wil " treat " gasoline ar 1oz per 1.5 gallons. it will be thinner than the 1oz per gallon for the other sizes

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Does the Walmart techron bottle say that 10 ounces treats 15 gallons or just the website? I saw the website and thought they made a mistake. The Techron site, when explaining not to put a whole bottle in a small fuel tank, says they recommend 1 ounce to a gallon.

It said it right on the bottle. I threw it away after using it two days ago and when the amazon bottles came today I was surprised they only treated 12 and 20 gallons.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
walmart is usng the ole "up to". trick. this wil " treat " gasoline ar 1oz per 1.5 gallons. it will be thinner than the 1oz per gallon for the other sizes

Originally Posted by danez_yoda

It was normal chevron Techron packaging though. Nothing Walmart specific about the bottle.

The Techron PDS states a 1:1 treat rate. So my guess would be that the 10oz pkg is made exclusively for Wally's? (fwiw, a bottle can treat whatever you want it to..the conc just goes down/up depending on gallons of fuel)...Similarly Gumout makes a pkg exclusive to AZ for example, IIRC it's called "Pro Series".

PDS
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Yup marketing 101. People look at the number of gallons treated. Easy to remember how many gallons they put in their car and 15 is a good general purpose number. See the instructions say run till nearly empty. What is that? 1/8 tank. Even on E there are ~ 2 gallons of gas left in the tank. Then put 15 more gallons on top of that. so you are close to 17 gallons total/10 oz.

Still treats fine. I like to pour this stuff in about at about 1/4 then laydown a strip of Firestone on the way to the gas station. Get a good high concentration shot through the injectors then follow with a lower concentration.

9:10 you don't need this stuff on the regular basis. I do it every couple of years when I feel like the throttle response is a little slugish. Many times its just a feel good.

Yup recommended ratio is 1oz techron concentrate additive to 1 gallon gasoline. Probably could (should) reduce dosage if you are using Chevron/Texaco gasoline. If you use the Techron concentrate additive in non-Chevron gasolines, this will have more techron than straight Chevron gas by itself.
32oz bottles of Techron concentrate are available for $13 at Amazon and WalMart.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Yup recommended ratio is 1oz techron concentrate additive to 1 gallon gasoline. Probably could (should) reduce dosage if you are using Chevron/Texaco gasoline. If you use the Techron concentrate additive in non-Chevron gasolines, this will have more techron than straight Chevron gas by itself.
32oz bottles of Techron concentrate are available for $13 at Amazon and WalMart.

Yeah the website says unless you're having a sluggish performance issue, you can probably do without the conc if you're regularly using the Techron fuel. Which makes sense being is that regular low dose of Techron should be keeping things pretty tightie inside.

As a side mention, I coulda swore that years ago I read that Chevron was the go to fuel for OE's on their EPA test rigs???.. maybe it's one of those urban myth things, so don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Above it says, "...maybe it's one of those urban myth things, so don't quote me on that."

Where did the term, "urban myth" (or legend) come from? Country people are full of tar too!

Maybe the "flushed alligator in the sewer" started it. Baby alligators can't survive in septic systems?

How 'bout, "Groundless things people say", as a replacement expression?

As a side mention, I coulda swore that years ago I read that Chevron was the go to fuel for OE's on their EPA test rigs???.. maybe it's one of those urban myth things, so don't quote me on that.
FWIW, I've had repeated experiences where Chevron gas gives consistently better fuel economy than some other brands. It wasn't a scientific experiment or anything fancy, but I have been driving the same vehicle on the same routes year round for 11 years straight. Something about the Techron additive makes the gas burn better. My MMI certified bike mechanic says the same thing and recommends I use Chevron in my bikes.

Seems to me the best deal is Techron in the 10oz for $5.00 at Walmart... beats the BOGO at O'Reily's and other stores

FWIW, I emailed Chevron about a year ago regarding this very concern about the dosing instructions. The Techron dosage rate is 1oz per 1gal of gasoline, but Walmart started selling these 10oz bottles about a year ago. The 10oz bottles say to fill up your gas tank with up to 15 gallons of gasoline. I asked the Chevron CS Rep if the 10oz bottles were a stronger concentration and he told me no. So I asked how 10oz can treat 15 gallons of fuel if the dosage rate is 1oz per every 1gal of gas. He told me that when using the 10oz bottle in 15 gallons of gasoline, it will give the same cleaning power as Chevron with Techron pump fuel. He proceeded to say that if you are looking for more immediate cleaning power you should use the 10oz bottle in 10 gallons of fuel.

I’m not sure if this was Walmart’s doing or Chevron’s, but they are cheating the customer.

...up to 15 gallons but you should use the 1-1 ratio or a bit better...Walmart is not the only place selling the 10 oz bottles but those in the know (or read the bottle/card board flag should know that the 1-1 ratio is ideal...

Bill

Seems to me the best deal is Techron in the 10oz for $5.00 at Walmart... beats the BOGO at O'Reily's and other stores
Maybe, but this PEA stuff is simply overpriced. It is long off-patent and there ought to be a source at commodity prices instead of snake oil prices.

...up to 15 gallons but you should use the 1-1 ratio or a bit better...Walmart is not the only place selling the 10 oz bottles but those in the know (or read the bottle/card board flag should know that the 1-1 ratio is ideal...

Bill
The 10oz bottle makes no reference of the 1:1 ratio. I’ve never seen the 10oz bottle at other retailers. The 12oz, 20oz, and 32oz are the ones I’ve seen at other stores.

The 10oz bottle makes no reference of the 1:1 ratio. I’ve never seen the 10oz bottle at other retailers. The 12oz, 20oz, and 32oz are the ones I’ve seen at other stores.

Even if it's a "concentrate" the majority of the bottle is just a solvent. Less solvent isn't really that big a deal.

Even if it's a "concentrate" the majority of the bottle is just a solvent. Less solvent isn't really that big a deal.
But the 10oz per 15 gallon is not the appropriate ratio for the quick cleanup that Chevron Techron boasts about. My guess why this happened is because Walmart wanted to keep the price low and the only way to do so was by making the package smaller. And my conversation with Chevron CS confirmed that the treat rate of 10oz per 15 gallons would be more in line with the treat rate in their pump fuel.

Back