Drove on asphalt before drying

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law again.

The HOA was overlaying the asphalt driveway with warning ahead of time, telling residents to either keep their cars out or risk not having enough time to wait for it to dry. During the overlay, my mother in law felt nausea and my father in law panic, so he just drove with her out despite the crew telling him to stop, and left some marks on the driveway before the coating dried.

He casually mentioned to me about it and say he'll talk his way out of repairing it himself (he was a chemical engineer that used to work in refinery and cement factory, so he knows everything, right?), and will refuse to pay for "thousands of dollars" to fix it. Of course I'm sure this is not going to happen with HOA, and consider how my FIL just rattle can paint every single scratches on his car with a "close enough" color, it will not work for anyone.

As expected, I got a letter from HOA's managing company with photos to prove which car was driven and what rule we broke, and we are responsible for the repair cost, and need to contact him to avoid a fine. Wish me luck on my talk with the HOA's managing company (it is an old couple with medical emergency, and were in a panic), what should I expect the damage / redo of the overlay going to cost? From my understanding it is either just a sealant or overlay, instead of complete replacement of the asphalt from all the way down.

Last edited:
Were they actually laying new asphalt or were they seal coating the existing asphalt surface. Makes a big difference what it's going to cost for the "repair". If it's just seal coating then the cost will be much less especially if you are willling to go to Home Depot and purchase a 5 gallon container of seal coat and do it yourself.

Then it looks like about a $50 job ~$30 for a bucket of seal coat & ~ $20 for a mop you can throw away after you are done.

A fresh asphalt overlaying would have resulted in depressions in the asphalt. Happened to a friend of mine who had a new driveway installed. Supposed to let it sit for 3 days or so, but the very next day a UPS truck drove onto the freshly laid asphalt and now he has a permanent reminder.

Not enough information here. What exactly was damaged? The asphalt itself, or just the seal coating? How much? Are we talking just one set of tire tracks running the length of the driveway? If so how long? If it's only seal coat, did it get tracked out into the street? Do they want that removed?

A few phone pictures would be helpful.

Tell them to keep the receipt for the emergency Dr. visit or wherever they went.

Did he actually seek medical attention for her because she felt like throwing up? Good riddance.

Someone needs to take responsibility and deal with it. Too many people think they can talk there way out responsibility's today.

This reminds me when years ago, every time I went to a cellphone provider store, there was always someone who went over their data usage and made a scene in the store about it concerning their bill.

I doubt the HOA will let you repair it yourself. It doesn't mean they should take advantage of his mistake, either.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
During the overlay, my mother in law felt nausea and my father in law panic, so he just drove with her out despite the crew telling him to stop, and left some marks on the driveway before the coating dried.

Maybe it's just me, but when you're nauseous, the last thing you want to do is go for a car ride.

In every sealing job I've seen, you have to clear the driveway. Why was the car on the driveway in the first place? Were they going to seal around it?

Something doesn't make sense here.

They use that cold poor asphalt repair stuff at my storage facility. We drove on that stuff immediately after they laid it down. Supposed to help pack it down. The stuff is weird because during the day when the parking lot is hot from the sun, you can practically sink your foot into it, but then at night when it cools off it's hard as a rock again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just tell them it was an emergency situation to go to the hospital… And that you're not going to sacrifice someone's life because of some pavement.

Just say no to HOAs.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I would just tell them it was an emergency situation to go to the hospital… And that you're not going to sacrifice someone's life because of some pavement.

They're gonna say, if it was a real emergency, you would have called an ambulance.

Just say no to HOAs.

This.

Then I would tell them where they can shove their sleazy HOA,and then sue them for the cost of the ER visit.

I dont see how it's legal to completely restrict access. Does the fire marshal know about this? I would contact them, then i assure you wouldn't have to worry about the hoa trying to collect money from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Around here it would not be that much.

I've recently had entire asphalt parking lots sealed / striped for less than a kilobuck. .

I'm sure Cali prices, are, um, higher, but still it's really not a very big deal. Or should not be.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I dont see how it's legal to completely restrict access. Does the fire marshal know about this? I would contact them, then i assure you wouldn't have to worry about the hoa trying to collect money from you.

Good point!

Originally Posted by atikovi

They're gonna say, if it was a real emergency, you would have called an ambulance.

"I thought about that, but an ambulance would have made 2 sets of tracks with dual rear wheels. Plus it is a x minute response time and where we were going was less than that."

Originally Posted by chemman

A fresh asphalt overlaying would have resulted in depressions in the asphalt. Happened to a friend of mine who had a new driveway installed. Supposed to let it sit for 3 days or so, but the very next day a UPS truck drove onto the freshly laid asphalt and now he has a permanent reminder.

The crew should have packed it down tighter before they loaded up and left with all the equipment and their money.

Was this the OP's property or FIL's? If FIL's let him fight it out. If OP's you're on the hook.

The weekly HOA bash. They live there, they read the rules and agreed to them, all of them. No profit telling the HOA to stuff it. Sounds like warning was given, when someone does something wrong they need to own it and make it right. Sue them for an ER visit, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back