Do taller men have an advantage in the workplace for promotion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the white collar business world..... do taller men have an advantage in the workplace for promotion ?

Have you observed some bosses have a
preconceived notion that taller men are more qualified to do a job and better represent the company ?

A perceived advantage yes. But frankly my personal experience is most of them never lived up to it. Just you average Joe 5' 8" to just over 6' seemed in my real job management observation seemed to way outperform those real tall guys. Most of them appeared to me to be breathing in that thinner air and it didn't enhance their leadership. Just my years of experience as a manager.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Yes - This is why "Short-Man-Syndrome" exists.

There's also "short-woman-syndrome" too.

This is why I avoided females shorter than me when dating.
They always had serious attitude issues that I wasn't willing to tolerate.

In the aviation world, we meet and deal with a number of very wealthy people. Most are quite tall. My boss is 6' 4" and his high powered friends are similarly powerfully built men.

There was a study done several years ago that proved that indeed taller men are more likely to be chosen for higher executive positions in the same study they found that shorter men tend to be more feisty

Last edited:
My experience over 45 years in business says yes.
BUT personality can totally override this.
Churchill was 5-6. So was Jimmy Hoffa.

I think being tall helps out men and women alike. I come from a tall family. My older sister is 5'10" and a vice principal at a public school. My younger sister is 6'2", is a barber at Great Clips and was asked if she wanted to be the salon manager. One of my brothers is 6'4" and is a pharmacy manager. Both of my brothers and dad are taller than me. I'm just a hair taller than my younger sister.

Yes. Being tall does have it's advantages (and disadvantages).. But having said that, I've hired and recommended promotion and never did someone get the job or promo simply because they were tall(er). I want the best person for the job not the tallest...... (you can't fix stupid no matter how tall they come ...‚)

Last edited:
Our production lines are made for a 5'11" person, Japanese engineers tend to be short. Tall people hit their heads on the control boxes, and they must open the AC vents online because nobody else can reach them.

Tall women are hugely disadvantaged.

Last edited:
Yep taller, thinner, and better looking play into promotions. Same as having a classic/boring name vs a unique one also does better on average.

In my experience, in the engineering field, it is academics, experience, work ethic, and what you create/produce that qualifies for promotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back