Rogue CVT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tomcat27
60k or sooner if they start to squeal. on two occasions I got rid of a squeal with a fluid change. I used Nissan NS3.

The CVT in our 17 Leaseon Sentra has started to whine quite bad

Thanks for all the feedback. Went ahead with the fluid drain since half of it came out the axle shaft opening anyways (and all over the driveway)
33.gif

Didn't realize you were doing CV shafts on the rogue. What CVT fluid did you wind up going with for the refill?

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I don't think everyone is recommending that a fluid change is a bad thing in itself. They are recommending not to touch someone else's car with a JATCO CVT of that era because they do have a very troublesome history and if/when it grenades, the fluid change person will get the blame. Correct??

The Compass/Patriot forums indicate that insufficient cooling was one of several problems with JATCO CVT's. They agree that 30 - 60K mile fluid AND filter changes give them the best chance possible.

Not saying you are wrong here...

I will say my car went 284,500 miles on the original CVT fluid... Granted easy conditions like a whole lot of highway driving in moderate temps.

Originally Posted by JTK
Didn't realize you were doing CV shafts on the rogue. What CVT fluid did you wind up going with for the refill?

I just did the Valvoline CVT fluid. Much easier to source than the dealer, and more trustworthy than the very few store brands available. I had no idea, before this, that CVT fluid was so hard to find in stores!

Lol at some of these comments. The cvt isn't complete junk, just some. My wife's 07 Murano had minimum service and none for the first 100k and still was going great when we sold it at 200k. My 09 altima was babied, once by the dealer and once by myself and failed at 90k. The xtended warranty was 10yr or 120k. Lots of trannys, Ford ,Chevy you name it fail at the same rate as cvt's yet because the cvt is different it receives more online time. FWIW I used castrol cvt which was cheap and easy to find in the Murano and never an issue. I only used ns2 in the altima and it failed. Coincidence? Who knows. The procedure to set the cvt at the dealer involves their software, the chief tech at Nissan told me to set my fluid next to the car overnight and drain and refill cold, putting in exactly what came out and the exchange was identical on the dipstick every time.

I'm with ya D1dad. Liking them or problems with them wasn't even what this thread was about but the very mention of CVT tends to yield the same results here.
crazy2.gif

The units coupled to the Nissan 3.5's are a different animal. They're built stronger and have better cooling. I think this is why you see report after report of people owning them to 200K miles + with out an issue. You can't necessarily say that about many of today's too many speed conventional automatics.

I just discovered while doing a tire rotation on my 2019 Pathfinder that there is a large fin/tube CVT fluid cooler in the front left wheel well area. CVT fluid changes are easier than an engine oil change on these powertrains as well.

Last edited:
I got over 90k out of the first cvt so if I get that out of the free on I'll be happy. The whole dealer experience was top notch. The tranny started to whine coming up a hill on my way back to ohio from Stlouis, never so much as symptom till then...nothing. I called my dealer on Wednesday, they diagnosed it and installed the new tranny on Friday. I could have maybe changed the fluid again but that probably would have masked it. Just make sure to drain and refill cold or you'll probably end up overfilling it which turns these things into a ticking time bomb. The ns2 expands like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back