Replacement GM Key fobs/keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, I need to get another set of fobs and keys for our 04 Colorado and 03 Suburban? Are there any good options outside of going to the dealer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

And read the reviews, I went thru this when I picked up my Lucerne and most of those cheap ones are just that from not working distance wise to the markings wearing off after a short time etc....

I ended up going with an ACDeleco one that had good reviews for a little over $30 at Amazon and a year and a half later looks and works like new, I honestly can't tell it apart from the originals that came with the car.

Got the key off ebay and had my local Ace hardware cut it.

Last edited:
Just a quick search for 04 Colorado key fob programming

Sit in the driver's seat. Insert the key into the ignition but don't turn it. Push and hold the "Lock" button on the door. Continue to hold it. Turn the key to on, off, and then back to on, rapidly. Release the "Lock" button. The doors will sound. The remote is ready to be programmed. Push and hold "Unlock" and "Lock" on the remote for 20 seconds. The remote is programmed to the vehicle.

A
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Go to the dealer....They aren't that much! They can also cut keys off the VIN......Instead of using wore out keys as patterns!

Having raised teens in GM vehicles … I'd agree with Master Chris on this one !!!

Avoid the "2 for $10" deals on eBay or Amazon... I got keys for my 2008 Dodge Ram that way once - they are keys with the fob controls built into the key body. They cut, programmed and worked - for about 3 months. They fell apart in normal use. I went back and paid $30 or $40, not sure how much now, for a genuine key fob and that one is solid. The junk keys I kept as emergency door opening keys, just in case. I'm going to order up a genuine GM fob and key for a 2003 Chevy Avalanche I'm putting up for sale...

A few years back my Suburban got broken into in Florida and one of the things they got was my spare key and fob that was in the backpack they stole. When I got back home, the dealer quoted me like 325 for a key and fob. Right...

I went on Ebay and got OEM replacements for something like 12 dollars for the key and 16 for the fob. I had the key cut to my other one that wasn't stolen. I found the procedures to match the keys and fobs to my truck on Youtube. I don't think you can do it anymore on the newer trucks. Mine is an 09.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back