Dropping a 5.7L Hemi in a 2000 Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coworker of mine totaled his 2007 Ram 1500 over the weekend. Fell asleep coming home from his GF and side swiped a telephone pole. Motor in his Ram only has 113K and asked me if I wanted to buy it off him. Insurance company totaled it and just wandering what it would take to drop that motor in my 2000 Ram? We have not discussed the overall numbers for sale but just wanted to get some feed back from the wise/knowledgeable members on this forum. My Ram is rust free and still runs great with its 5.2L/318 cubic inches with 93k original miles on the odometer.

If insurance company totaled it they at least own salvage rights to it and can sell it to a junkyard for whatever they can recoup. When they total it they take possession of it and tow it away, and would notice stuff like nothing under the hood. Your friend should get a letter from insurance company otherwise, technically, taking the hemi could be considered larceny.

At the very least the insurance company expects to have the salvage valued deducted from whatever they paid out to your friend.

Will take more work than its worth to go into your older gen Ram most likely. Wiring compatibility would be my concern.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Insurance company totaled it...

Don't they own it then?

In California you can buy the vehicle back from the insurance company. I did it on my 98 Mustang because the aftermarket parts on it were worth a significant amount.

Join the "G3 Hemi Swap" forum on Facebook or other resources.

Depending on where you are, even a newer engine and emissions system -> older vehicle that's still newer than 25 years type swap might not be strictly "legal" even though it would run cleaner.

The interest in Gen3 Hemi swapping is gaining a lot of momentum and the aftermarket is stepping up. There are multiple choices for operating the engine and transmission now instead of "save every single wire and find a place to tuck the unused modules". Its not quite as well-supported as the LS yet, but its gaining. One of the best features is that the Hemi uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as smallblock Mopars going all the way back to the Poly engines in the 1950s, so putting it in front of a fully mechanical automatic like a 46RH or A-727 is easy.

Originally Posted by heynow
Will take more work than it's worth to go into your older gen Ram most likely.

This. Nightmare likely. Wiring, computer, transmission, length of transmission, driveshaft and motor mount locations all come to mind immediately.

If you have thought about this swap in the past and then the donor truck you need falls into your lap.....then yeah. There are other parts on there that could also prove useful.

Put your body on his frame, that would be rad!

Talked to the wife about it again last nite -- she does not want me to deal with any of the headaches and his limited information to start with.

Surprised it lasted 113k without blowing the cams & lifters (sarcasm). Listen to your wife. If you want a Hemi that bad, trade yours for an older 4th Gen. Your 318 is pretty rock solid. I'd leave it alone.

Originally Posted by kkreit01
Surprised it lasted 113k without blowing the cams & lifters (sarcasm). Listen to your wife. If you want a Hemi that bad, trade yours for an older 4th Gen. Your 318 is pretty rock solid. I'd leave it alone.

+1

Originally Posted by kkreit01
Get hosed trading or selling a low mileage truck that you know the history of, to acquire some old heap that you know nothing about.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Small block trucks are too fuel inefficient to drive every day, paying $100+ a week for fuel gets old quick. If you have a mint older truck that is in good shape but bad on gas, an engine swap is a good idea to make it more useful and have something different.

I think the older ones are prettier anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back