Gas in a Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
You would think that in 100 years of automotive history, we would have come up with a nozzle standard to prevent mistakes like this.

I believe the diesel nozzles are larger, so they won't fit in a gas vehicle.

People who drive diesels should just know better.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by MarkM66
You would think that in 100 years of automotive history, we would have come up with a nozzle standard to prevent mistakes like this.

smile.gif

Some people like a challenge.

The last time I filled up with diesel I stopped 3 different people from stopping at the other side of the pump.

People just don't pay attention.

Catastrophic Fuel System Failure labor is right around 20 hours of labor. To put this in perspective......Engine overhaul is 40.1 hours.

Did the engine get toasted??

They are hosing you. Any way you can post a pic of the estimate?

Insurance is paying for it they can argue about price.
The estimate is basically a fuel system kit, multiple intake manifold gaskets, fuel filter kit, and coolant $6900. Labor 40 hrs $6600.

Parts sound about right with full retail pricing. Labor still seems high. Their labor rate comes out to 165$/hr that is pretty high.

Last edited:
This happens a lot when busy companies have vacant positions and get desperate to hire just about anyone. Be careful who you hire. It's easy to forge credentials and lie on a resume. Most dishonest people can be very convincing. That is why you need good HR people who will see the signs.
This truck damage is unfortunate but it's not so much when looking at the big picture. This new hire could have caused much more damage than just a new fuel system. They could have injured someone by negligence... just imagine that.

Originally Posted by DGXR
This happens a lot when busy companies have vacant positions and get desperate to hire just about anyone. Be careful who you hire. It's easy to forge credentials and lie on a resume. Most dishonest people can be very convincing. That is why you need good HR people who will see the signs.
This truck damage is unfortunate but it's not so much when looking at the big picture. This new hire could have caused much more damage than just a new fuel system. They could have injured someone by negligence... just imagine that.

You are absolutely correct. We are having a tough time finding any class A drivers. It's not that we don't offer enough pay, we don't have the applicants. The other problem we run into is we require the driver to do other work on site to help load the truck. Some purely want to drive the truck no other duties.

Two relatives have retired from trucking and constantly have offers to go back on the road. they both gave up their class A`s for operators licenses. Professional truck drivers are becoming a rare entity.

Originally Posted by tom slick
The estimate is basically a fuel system kit, multiple intake manifold gaskets, fuel filter kit, and coolant $6900. Labor 40 hrs $6600.

Originally Posted by mattd
Parts sound about right with full retail pricing. Labor still seems high. Their labor rate comes out to 165$/hr that is pretty high.

How many Hours do you charge for a "Catastrophic Fuel System Failure" on one of these Matt? Assuming the cab comes off normally....Not a Rescue/EMT Vehicle.

Originally Posted by MarkM66

smile.gif

It's easy to tell a gas nozzle from a diesel nozzle. Diesel nozzles are disgusting, coated in oil, encrusted in dirt and drips around when you pull it away from the pump. The company I work for has a fair share of "gas in diesel" stories. That's one thing they don't teach in CDL class.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Yeah - [censored] suck - no idea of the final price of one - they seem to outdo eachother..

Why is there a sudden rash of people who can't seem to control their language tonight?

Here is a tip. After you post, look back at how it appears. If a word you used appears as [censored] then it should be changed.

Isn't that why there is a filter? So these people won't damage their virgin eyes?
smirk2.gif

That censor filter censors words that aren't even cuss words. So now people are offended by the word censored?

I guess it's just that when making technically relevant posts I've never seen the need to use a censored word, cuss or not. But maybe that's just me.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by tom slick

Originally Posted by mattd

How many Hours do you charge for a "Catastrophic Fuel System Failure" on one of these Matt? Assuming the cab comes off normally....Not a Rescue/EMT Vehicle.

Book time, which is a generous 20 hours even with all the options. No idea where that dealer is getting 40 hrs. Labor time for catastrophic failure kit in shopkey is 12 hrs, plus 3.5 for fuel tank cleaning, an extra hour or so with filters, a generous hour for the LPFP and an hour for flushing low side lines. You can squeeze a few more out of little things with skid plates minor equipments upfittings etc. Even then 20 hours is tough to get to. Rescue would be a different story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back