Supercharged engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody!
I'm writing from Italy, I'm a happy owner of a 1990 Mercedes W124 Coupé 300 24 supercharged with a Rotrex C30/94 that gives 350 hp at the crank.
Now I'm rebuilding the engine with Woessner forged pistons and other works needed.
On these cars it's recommended to use 10w40 oil but now I suppose I need something else.
My idea is to try with a 5w50 or 10w60 but I'm very undecided about this, there are too many options in the world of lubricant...
I greatly appreciate any advice!

Originally Posted by Superbenz
On these cars it's recommended to use 10w40 oil but now I suppose I need something else.

10W-40 should be good ... thicker than anything used in engines with 350 HP in the USA. Why would you think you need thicker oil than 10W-40?

Thank You for the answers,
Originally the engine was normally aspirated with 220hp,
I've installed last year a supercharger increasing considerably the power.
I think 10w40 is no longer sufficient for the new working conditions as higher temperature, more mechanical stress etc.

Originally Posted by Superbenz

I think 10w40 is no longer sufficient for the new working conditions as higher temperature, more mechanical stress etc.

No, it will be fine.

I ran Shell Rotella 15W-40 in my 700 HP twin-turbo Ford 351W (5.8 L) engine.

OK, I will use Motul 300v 10w40 chrono, it seems to be one of the best oil available here in EU.
Thank you all!

Superbenz said:
No, no, it's a street car.
But I would to use a very good quality oil and the correct viscosity after all the money I'm spending for rebuild the engine...

IIRC, 300V line oils aren't meant to be used in street cars, because can't stand the OCIs or something but I might be wrong.

Look on here there's a few 300V used oil analysis

Yes, You're right! Thank You

What oil would you feel to advise me ?
I'm a little confused...

The thing more important than the oil grade selected is an oil temperature gauge so you can see when the oil you have chose is getting thin.
This will do 2 things:
a) you won't want to run the engine hard until the oil is up to temperature (over 160ºF)
b) you won't want to run the engine hard when the oil is over temperature (over 275ºF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back