Land Rover Ingenium diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I would like to ask may I use C3 oil instead of C2 in my Land Rover Ingenium diesel? C3 is better for engine but 03.5007. spec tell otherwise. Could you help please because I have problem with Ballance Schaft lubrication which is performing with oil fumes. Thanks

There are a number of oils out there that are ACEA C3 but also meet the fuel economy requirements of C2.

An example would be Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 with 504/507 approval. I'd use it without hesitation!

Thanks. But IAM asking myself is it dangerous to use c3 oils in my case because JLR has said that C2 (03.5007. standard) is the one prescripted for 2.0 Ingenium diesel. I had 1 month ago turbo failure because shaft was worn.Diluted oil is another problem but what I want is to lubricate engine as much as it gets. Fuel economy is not important to me at this point.
I am wondering could I use c3 oil in my engine and can it harm my DPf or engine or on contrary better lubricate.

ACEA C3 has the same ash limit as C2 so shouldn't make a difference to your DPF (you could even argue that the thicker C3 oil may even burn less in the engine). The main issue is using an oil not specified by the OEM and potentially throwing away any warranty or goodwill support from them if anything were to happen in the future.

Purely comparing the C2 and C3 specs, C3 is a slightly tougher spec, with stricter limits for piston cleanliness and engine sludge and a minimum TBN limit. However my point above still stands.

C2 HTHS limit is 3.5 cP. Oils which are C2/C3 have that value. C3 only oils usually has a higher value which, as far as I know, it isn't recommended to use in a C2 engine.

So, if you use a C3 oil you should look for the HTHS value. I wouldn't advise you to use an oil with a HTHS higher than 3.5 cP. It isn't a matter of fuel economy, it's a matter of the engine design.

https://www.lubrizoladditives360.co...-the-difference-and-why-is-it-important/

"As such, it is vital to use the correct OEM recommended lubricant to provide the necessary engine protection as well as fuel efficiency benefits."

Bla bla bla....

The higher the HTHS...the better protection ofTURBO (bearings) he will get...

Lower HTHS is here only for fuel efficiency...

That's what I have in mind. Does anyone can say that with higher HTHS I will not harm my engine?

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/...uv/owner-reviews?problem=3#owner-reviews

Loved the concept, but proved to be the biggest mistake, reliability and quality were appalling, but worst of all the York dealer and Land Rover Customer services were simply awful to deal with. They have serious issues with these vehicles and these issues are now well known, but JLR just try to always deny and fob off owners. The Ingenium Diesel engine is probably the worst I have ever owned, needed oil changes every 5000 miles because oil was diluted to 7% in that time and after 12k miles balancer shafts failed. Not to mention loose trim, rattles, water leaks, fuel line faults, turbo gasket leaks, etc, etc... This car used to do two trips a day of 18 miles each way on fast roads, so should not have these issues. These faults could affect used prices, which is a double whammy for private buyers. Other JLR models using the same engine have these issues too, which includes Evoque, Discovery, Range Rover Sport and Jaguar models. Pray it happens during warranty, and then sell it - some people have had the balancer shafts fail twice!

Fuel diulition...something must be wrong with their DPF regeneration (like volvos problems years ago)....

Ask Americans here...I am sure that they would cure that with ILSAC oil in 5w20...or even 0W20....LoL

Originally Posted by Goran
Da li si siguran da C3 neće oštetiti motor gdje je namjenjeno c2 ulje?

C2 vs C3 has nothing to do with SAPS levels....but with HTHS (fuel efficiency instead of protection)

Because your diesel has problems with fuel diulition (most probably your DPF is cleaned via additional diesel injection...and something is wrong with FW and that results in diulition) ....I would use as thick oil as possible....and would change it more often...

5w40 in C3... MB 229.51...

If that would not help... HDEO in E6/E9...or I would rather get rid of that car...

Last edited:
That's what I have in mind. Does anyone can say that with higher HTHS I will not harm my engine?

No

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Bla bla bla....

The higher the HTHS...the better protection ofTURBO (bearings) he will get...

Lower HTHS is here only for fuel efficiency...

+1

Thanks. But IAM asking myself is it dangerous to use c3 oils in my case because JLR has said that C2 (03.5007. standard) is the one prescripted for 2.0 Ingenium diesel. I had 1 month ago turbo failure because shaft was worn.Diluted oil is another problem but what I want is to lubricate engine as much as it gets. Fuel economy is not important to me at this point.
I am wondering could I use c3 oil in my engine and can it harm my DPf or engine or on contrary better lubricate.

Your turbo shaft did not fail because of C2 or C3 oil, but bcs. shaft probably had some manufacturing issue.
You can use C3 without hesitation. Just make sure oil you get has VW 504.00/507.00 approval as those are strictest when it comes to wear in 0/5W30 grade that meet C3 requirements. I would not go too thick in this case. Stick to 0/5W30 oils.
As for dilution, you should not worry too much. Diesel is basically a lubricant, and if you are doing bit longer drive it will not be a problem. Also, you live in Germany and diesel is good as it gets, so sulfur levels will be at minimum.

Thanks for the answer, but what do you think about balance shaft issue that appears often at Ingenium engines? Is that connected with oil dilution or weak construction of the bearings. I think every 3rd engine has that problem. That's the second reason why I want to use c3 oils. In technical books stay that balance shaft bearings are lubricated wit oil fumes.

Your best bet will probably be to run a C3 oil, and reduce your drain intervals. Based on this:

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Loved the concept, but proved to be the biggest mistake, reliability and quality were appalling, but worst of all the York dealer and Land Rover Customer services were simply awful to deal with. They have serious issues with these vehicles and these issues are now well known, but JLR just try to always deny and fob off owners. The Ingenium Diesel engine is probably the worst I have ever owned, needed oil changes every 5000 miles because oil was diluted to 7% in that time and after 12k miles balancer shafts failed. Not to mention loose trim, rattles, water leaks, fuel line faults, turbo gasket leaks, etc, etc... This car used to do two trips a day of 18 miles each way on fast roads, so should not have these issues. These faults could affect used prices, which is a double whammy for private buyers. Other JLR models using the same engine have these issues too, which includes Evoque, Discovery, Range Rover Sport and Jaguar models. Pray it happens during warranty, and then sell it - some people have had the balancer shafts fail twice!

That would be 8,000 km.

I would also add "a tad" (just a little of it) of MoS2 additive into oil...just to extra lubricate those shafts...and not enough to destroy your DPF...

Thanks for advice, but what is the right Amount why wouldn't destroy dpf? I payed for the car 40000$ and I really like it but engine have few issues which I would like to solve so I can drive the car next 200 000km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back