Permatex Brake Lube Flavours: Green, Purple, Orange and now Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had much luck with Green, Purple, or Orange.

So I was wondering if anyone had experience with the newish Red Permatex Extreme Silicone Ceramic grease?

The TDS says it is an orange color. Looks like it might be pretty dang good. I won't know for a long time though because I am satisfied with ACDelco silicone brake lubricant that has been thickened with PTFE.

Originally Posted by BigD1
The TDS says it is an orange color. Looks like it might be pretty dang good. I won't know for a long time though because I am satisfied with ACDelco silicone brake lubricant that has been thickened with PTFE.

I'm wondering if it's just a repackaged 'orange'. Though now it says 100% silicone with added ceramic.

Orange:

[Linked Image]

Reddish:

[Linked Image]

The older version of that stuff is a gray paste. The green/purple greases are not allowed near any brakes I touch.

The orange seems to be Canada's version of the red. So if OP hasn't had much luck with the orange, then the red won't be any different.

I'm curious to understand what problems the OP has had with purple and orange (red).

I've been using the purple goo on everything metal on metal after following Eric from SMA. (And I use 3m silicone on slide pins thanks to Eric from ETCG). But I also relube my vehicles 1x year in the fall before the freeze hits. Cheap insurance over working in the cold due to something being seized.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
The orange seems to be Canada's version of the red. So if OP hasn't had much luck with the orange, then the red won't be any different.

I'm curious to understand what problems the OP has had with purple and orange (red).

Purple for me does bad things to rubber, swelling it and turning it into glue. It also seems to dry out and leaves a purple crust/dust. Seized pins, destroyed rubbers, it goes only on metal parts for me.

Red/orange didn't even survive a year, of 4 pins...

Pin 1: Seized solid with rust, corrision on pin, dry. Boot looked aged on the inside, but was solid and looked fine on the outside.
Pin 2 - 4: Wet rust still hints of orange colour, making it muddy looking, pins had corrosion damage. Boot rubber looked new, no holes.

New pins and boots, well lubed, and I don't understand where or how the water got in. I actually use grease on the lips of the boots to help them seal, but there was lots of rust around the sealing points.

So I'm suspicious about how water proof the orange/red really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back