Boiled peanuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,

I never tried it, but they say it's healthier than commercial oven roasted peanuts.

For a first timer, how should I go to prepare at home or what/where to go for a taste (GA)?

When I drove through TN I would purchase them still hot. Delicious! Nuts are good for you. Never boiled them myself. Enjoy....

Originally Posted by Onetor
When I drove through TN I would purchase them still hot. Delicious! Nuts are good for you. Never boiled them myself. Enjoy....

So are legumes
wink.gif

Hey pandus can you find them to purchase at your local grocery store? I know that I can find them for sale in the canned vegetables aisle at Wal Mart where I live.

Sample brand/can image:
[Linked Image from ecx.images-amazon.com]

But if you want to make them yourself at home, it's really as simple as boiling some fresh peanuts (non-roasted, in the shell) in salted water until they are the desired texture.

Since peanuts are legumes, you would boil them until they have a soft center much like any bean. Then you just peel off the outer shell and eat the 2 pieces inside.

I like them on the saltier side which means I'll eat less in a single sitting. You can also include a spice/heat component to the boil if you want to make them zingy.

First, don't even think about using the canned garbage, and never use fully mature, grocery store peanuts. Fully mature peanuts make terrible boiled peanuts.

Get some green Valencia peanuts that were raised in sand, not dirt (there is a taste difference). Boil them in a copper pot (not stainless-again, there is a taste difference). You can add some salt to the boil if you like, or add some Cajun spices to kick it up a little.

Originally Posted by Reddy45

But if you want to make them yourself at home, it's really as simple as boiling some fresh peanuts (non-roasted, in the shell) in salted water until they are the desired texture.

No, it really is not that simple. As I stated above, mature peanuts that you buy in the grocery store make horrid boiled peanuts. Real southern boiled peanuts start with raw, green peanuts and those are generally not available in stores. They're harvested early and then kept refrigerated so they don't mature. That's what real boiled peanuts are made from.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Onetor

So are legumes
wink.gif

Peanuts are actually legumes, not nuts.

To answer the original question:
Open container, dump into trash. Then eat some delicious dry-roasted peanuts!

Last edited:
I make boiled peanuts (aka Goober Peas) a couple of times a year when I can get green peanuts at the local grocery. My wife complains because it makes the house smell like peanuts, but she will also eat her share when they are done. It's an acquired taste and it helps if that's what you ate as you grew up. Some Northerners will never accept them (like grits) as all they've ever known was roasted.

Do not buy the canned ones unless you are just desperate for boiled peanuts.

I had them for the first time this past year when I moved to Florida, bought them off a road side stand where they were being cooked in a cut open beer keg! I have been in love with them ever since!!! And yes, please don't even waste your time on the grocery store canned garbage! Find a southerner on the side of the road selling them fresh, there is nothing better!

Originally Posted by Fawteen
First, don't even think about using the canned garbage, and never use fully mature, grocery store peanuts. Fully mature peanuts make terrible boiled peanuts.

Get some green Valencia peanuts that were raised in sand, not dirt (there is a taste difference). Boil them in a copper pot (not stainless-again, there is a taste difference). You can add some salt to the boil if you like, or add some Cajun spices to kick it up a little.

No, it really is not that simple. As I stated above, mature peanuts that you buy in the grocery store make horrid boiled peanuts. Real southern boiled peanuts start with raw, green peanuts and those are generally not available in stores. They're harvested early and then kept refrigerated so they don't mature. That's what real boiled peanuts are made from.

Your right
Good Boiled peanuts is a learned process
It's not a beginners recipe
Takes time to prefect

I think it safe to say that boiled nuts are an acquired taste.

I tried 3 times to acquire. Had to abort all 3 times.

Thank You for the info. I'll try this very soon

Boiled peanuts are glorious. I haven't made them in years. My dad was never without green, boiled, or roasted peanuts. He grew tons in the garden. It's kinda weird. He grew up as a sharecropper's kid in the depression plowing peanut land with a mule. I wouldn't want to go near a peanut but he always loved them.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Thank You for the info. I'll try this very soon

Hard to beat a cold beer and some boil peanuts !!ðŸ‘

When I lived in FL. I found that the hole in the wall convenient stores sold the best boiled peanuts. Most just sold regular unleaded, some had super unleaded (Cajun style) as well.

I get them at small shops and sometimes gas stations, when traveling down south. Love them. Can be quite salty though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back