Storing small engines for the winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that I am supposed to store my small engines with no fuel in them. I read the directions on the fuel stabilizer container and it said to store the small engines with stabilized fuel in them. Which is correct?

The fuel stabilizer folks will always recommend that you use their product, so there's that....

Me personally, I've never experienced a difference between storing with a dry fuel tank versus with stabilized fuel.

Others will certainly profess differing opinions...

You'll hear a variety of storage methods. I store my OPE with stabilized fuel and a bit of MMO or TCW3 mixed into the fuel. I run the engine until its hot with the "fuel mix", fog it, change the oil, and put it away. "I've" had better luck doing it this way vs. running the gas tank dry. This applies to engines that I plan on storing up to a year +/-.

I've done it both ways and It didn't make a difference for me. I usually pour some extra stabilizer right into the tank of the Mower or snowblower and let it run for a few mins before shutting off for the winter. I've also done the fogging oil in the cylinder as well.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
You'll hear a variety of storage methods. I store my OPE with stabilized fuel and a bit of MMO or TCW3 mixed into the fuel. I run the engine until its hot with the "fuel mix", fog it, change the oil, and put it away. "I've" had better luck doing it this way vs. running the gas tank dry. This applies to engines that I plan on storing up to a year +/-.

That's my way of winterizing. Stabil/2 stroke(a bit) and full tank.
I've learned the hard way that what you think is an empty carb is really not empty.
The residual fuel can dry and leave a small dry film that can fill the microscopic
ports that small engine carbs have. IMO the 2 stroke lubricates and protects from any build up
of crud.
I'll fof if I know it will be more than 6 months between uses.
YMMV.

In my experience an engine stored dry will be easier to bring back to life than one stored wet.
Also, fuel stabilizer products do nothing.
Worst case scenario, you give the thing a couple of shots of either in the spring and it bursts into life with no problems thereafter.
And, no, either used with a modicum of sense won't harm the engine at all even though some poster will swear that their grandpa's neighbor's cousin's friend blew up a perfectly fine engine using it.

I don't use ethanol gas in any OPE and always use a fuel stabilizer. I never have a problem anymore. With carbs or fuel lines.

I try to run the tank low and throw in a bit of fuel stabilizer. In the spring I buy fresh gas and fill the tank. I then give it a couple choked pulls. If it doesn't start I give give it a shot of starter fluid aimed at the air filter and it will take off and run well once the fresh gas hits the carb.

I fog my boat motor but don't bother fogging the lawn mover. My backup lawnmower is 25 years old and has never been fogged. Still runs like a top, However, it's pretty dry out here.YRMV.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Honestly I've never had fuel or carb issues (knocking on wood) with quality OPE.

I do run stabilizing additive and a tiny splash of TCW-3 in my E10 pump gas... and try not to inventory too much.

When able, I'll run them dry. Dry is probably relative, Ive never pulled the carb to see if it's truly out of gas. Ive always wondered if doing thst leaves just enough that it can evaporate and leave residues, while if more gas was in the bowl, it might not evaporate out...

Regarding fogging, I've bought fogging spray with the best of intentions. And come the end of the season, I either don't remember, don't have time, etc. is my stuff worse for wear? Not that I can tell. Maybe if it was stored outdoors it would be an issue. It's not.

Is it best practice? Guess so...

Originally Posted by demarpaint
. I store my OPE with stabilized fuel and a bit of MMO or TCW3 mixed into the fuel. .

This has given me the best results. Some rubber parts are susceptible to "drying out" (getting hard) when dry, it seems.

Originally Posted by whatplsty
I always thought that I am supposed to store my small engines with no fuel in them. I read the directions on the fuel stabilizer container and it said to store the small engines with stabilized fuel in them. Which is correct?

Best to run them dry but I always add Stabil in the gas can prior to filling so it's no big deal if I leave some fuel in the tank. I won't leave untreated fuel sit in the tank for the winter.

Last edited:
I don't do anything, I put the lawnmower in the shed and it starts with about 5 pulls in the spring. I did have a problem once when I used gas that was 15 years old.

I run ethanol free gas and have never had to do anything additional for storage.

At the end of the season I'll change the oil, warm it up again with the fresh oil and put it away. I don't run the tank dry either.

I have done a little of everything. Run dry, tank half full, tank full and never had an issue. With treated fuel I never had any issues with deposits or hard starts. I also have never fogged an engine.

I run the mower and my snow blower dry but fill up the tank of my motorcycle and add stabilizer. I also fog the mower and motorcycle.

Been using E0 and stabil for so long I'm afrraid I'd jinx myself if I change. I also never do anything special for storage, just park them when done.

Fresh oil in the crankcase e0 in the gas tank with stabilizer and zero issues for years in all my mowers saws snowmobiles boats Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back