Rogue CVT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be working on a Nissan Rouge with the CVT soon (2008 I believe). Its all original fluids at about 80k miles so I'm thinking about replacing the trans fluid. Pan has a nice drain bolt built in so I'll probably just do a few drain and fills... Not super familiar with these vehicles though. Whats the factory OCI for the CVT fluid? Recommendations for a good, daily driver replacement fluid?

Hey Chris, while we're on the subject both my cars are Nissans with cvt. 2012 Versa with 70k. 2013 Sentra with 45k. No trans problems thus far. Should I leave them alone? Do a drain and fill? Both cars see very little use, perhaps 5 k a year each one.Occasional highway, mostly around town. Manual says keep on trucking. What say you?

Don't touch that CVT. You'll own it when it fails. Not only is it costly to get a replacement, the dealer has to program it in ...

If it were mine, I'd use one of the suitable for use NS-2 or NS-3 (which ever the vehicle calls for) aftermarket CVT fluids and do some drain and fills on it. Valvoline and Castrol come to mind.

If it's a customer's car, I'd use only OEM fluids and only if the customer specifically requested it be done and they sign off on the fact if the unit fails, it's not on you.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd run from any late model Nissan that was built during the Renault venture... they are garbage!

They couldn't pay me to own another new one... had two brand new a 2012 and a 2013, both needed engines replaced by 21,000miles. I see more new (er) nissans on the road broke down than any other make.

Jtk, I appreciate your reply. Both of these cars are outside their warranty. I would never go to the dealer with either one of them. I have a trusted independent. Perhaps a drain and fill with NS3. My cars never run enough to experience the overheating/limp mode syndrome. I'm probably trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I don't think everyone is recommending that a fluid change is a bad thing in itself. They are recommending not to touch someone else's car with a JATCO CVT of that era because they do have a very troublesome history and if/when it grenades, the fluid change person will get the blame. Correct??

The Compass/Patriot forums indicate that insufficient cooling was one of several problems with JATCO CVT's. They agree that 30 - 60K mile fluid AND filter changes give them the best chance possible.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Hey Chris, while we're on the subject both my cars are Nissans with cvt. 2012 Versa with 70k. 2013 Sentra with 45k. No trans problems thus far. Should I leave them alone? Do a drain and fill? Both cars see very little use, perhaps 5 k a year each one.Occasional highway, mostly around town. Manual says keep on trucking. What say you?
I recommend that you sell them while they still move and have some value.

Both of these cars are outside their warranty. I would never go to the dealer with either one of them. I have a trusted independent. Perhaps a drain and fill with NS3. My cars never run enough to experience the overheating/limp mode syndrome. I'm probably trying to fix something that isn't broken.

120,000 mile extended warranty on these transmissions. Not sure of the time limit, 10 or 12 years, but close enough to possibly get some assistance if a little over.

Drain and Refill on the CVT will take between 4.5-4.75 qt. NS-2 is the correct fluid.

The CV axle boots tend to tear on these. Usually the passenger side. Either reboot the original, buy a new one from the dealer or get a rebuilt one from CVJ. I tried 3 aftermarket axles with no luck.

Ugh. I can't bear the thought of selling/buying cars at this point. (69 next summer). I'll take my chances with a drain/fill and hope for the best.

Thanks atikova. I don't think the Versa qualifies for the extended warranty but I could be wrong
Both cars running well. Time to obsess on something else.

Ugh. I can't bear the thought of selling/buying cars at this point. (69 next summer). I'll take my chances with a drain/fill and hope for the best.

Given the usage you describe, I can't see a fluid refresh being anything but beneficial for your cars.

Having done fluid changes on a bunch of Nissans at this point, for me the hardest part on most of them is getting at the "recharge tube" and getting the stupid locking cap off the thing. It's a tight squeeze on Versas getting at the tube.

Nissan has a pretty sweet tool out that I didn't know of until recently to help pop these caps right off: https://www.underhoodservice.com/nissan-tech-tip-cvt-fluid-level-quick-check-gauge/

Or here: https://www.nissantechmate.com/tools/product/12145

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buck91
Going to be working on a Nissan Rouge with the CVT soon (2008 I believe). Its all original fluids at about 80k miles so I'm thinking about replacing the trans fluid. Pan has a nice drain bolt built in so I'll probably just do a few drain and fills... Not super familiar with these vehicles though. Whats the factory OCI for the CVT fluid? Recommendations for a good, daily driver replacement fluid?

You line of questioning is scary - looks like you are a new bie. Stay clear of the vehicle.!!!

Guess I'm showing my age when my first reaction to the heading "Rogue CVT" is "Huh?"

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JTK

Given the usage you describe, I can't see a fluid refresh being anything but beneficial for your cars.

Having done fluid changes on a bunch of Nissans at this point, for me the hardest part on most of them is getting at the "recharge tube" and getting the stupid locking cap off the thing. It's a tight squeeze on Versas getting at the tube.

Nissan has a pretty sweet tool out that I didn't know of until recently to help pop these caps right off: https://www.underhoodservice.com/nissan-tech-tip-cvt-fluid-level-quick-check-gauge/

I would second this advice.

Originally Posted by JTK
….Nissan has a pretty sweet tool out that I didn't know of until recently to help pop these caps right off: https://www.underhoodservice.com/nissan-tech-tip-cvt-fluid-level-quick-check-gauge/

Interesting Special Service tools. I was actually more interested in the dipstick tool until I saw the price...$250, ouch. Cool tool though, and I bet it could save Nissan techs serious CVT service time.

The charging tube dummy cap remover looks more reasonable, have to keep it in mind. I'm going to give the method in the linked yt at :45 mark a try first to see if it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZKsy8fhlD0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back