2.7 V6 Turbo in Ford F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned Mustangs years and years ago, but I haven't studied Ford vehicles at all for a long time. I honestly just today noticed that Ford is putting a small 2.7 V6 Turbo engine in their full size F-150. Is this a gimmick engine that will be worn out or dead at 70,000 miles or is this something more promising and durable?

Do you still have to change the oil in turbo engines much more frequently than non-turbos?

The Ford 2.7 has been well-received in the market and is one of those "surprised it works so well", in my mind.
If it was my engine, no more than 5,000 mile OCI with a SN+ 5W-30.

it's well proven and solid as a rock. I love mine but be advised if towing it's mpg's drop by about 40 - 50%, or at least mine did. Guess that's a trade-off to the otherwise exceptional fuel economy (and power) when running around unladen.

Here's an example that's now past 300,000 miles on only scheduled maintenance, dealer oil changes w/ bulk Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend when the oil life monitor says to:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/100-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/

Odometer photo same thread:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/100-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/index14/#post6371388

312,120 miles on that F-150 so far. That's incredible. I wish I could just get tires to last as well as his first set did.

Last edited:
I like its block material. Compacted Graphite Iron, beats gray iron for specific strength, and aluminum blocks for fatigue strength and acoustics. I don't know of any other non-diesel CGI blocks like that.

Interesting they put that engine in the small Ford Fusion AWD, and its a rocket. Then they do the same engine in all-aluminum, bore it out, and boost it even more in the Lincoln MKZ. Ford is on steroids sometimes.

Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
Don't forget the Fusion, that engine is in the sport model of the Fusion with AWD.
I was thinking the same thing. And Ford-Lincoln's version of the Fusion puts out 400 hp in AWD! Hang on, man. Highway patrol will have a chase on their hands.
They should call the Lincoln version "The 400" cuz it makes 400 hp and 400 ft-lbs, seriously crazy.
Ford F-150's 2.7L version only gets 325 hp. They need to put "The 400" in an F-150.

If I were in the market, that's what I would be buying.
Coupled with that smart 10 speed transmission, it does so much so well.

I have a 2018 F150 4x4 super crew XLT with the 2.7L EB. The engine is an absolute gem. Smooth, responsive, powerful and efficient.

I also have a 3.5L eco boost engine in another F150 and an older V8 model. 3ea, F150's, 3 different engines.

The 2.7L is the fastest, by far the smoothest and sportiest . It's also the most efficient. The V8 is the most pleasant.

The 3.5 sounds like a UPS truck. Buuuuuuuuuuuuu. Not exactly exciting. But what's amazing is that the 2.7 walks away from the 3.5 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by Cujet
The 3.5 sounds like a UPS truck. Buuuuuuuuuuuuu. Not exactly exciting. But what's amazing is that the 2.7 walks away from the 3.5 100% of the time.

Are they geared the same? Same transmissions? The 2 are close in power and the "pros" test the 3.5 as slightly faster. Doubt that similarly configured either would walk away from each other. Both are great engines.

51000 miles on my 2.7 2016 F150. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

The truck is nearly as fast as a 3.5 equipped truck, delivers 4 mpg better than the V8 truck it replaced, tows a 4500 lb boat with relative ease and way better than the 5.4 3v that used to, and is honestly just fun to drive for a full size truck.

Not a ton of issues seen on them so far other than a batch of bad heads / valve guides on some 2016s.

Seems like a solid play by Ford so far!

The 2.7 uses both DI and port injection, so you won't ever have to de-carbon your intake valves. Very clever design to reduce maintenance costs. I'd get the 2.7 over the 3.5 unless I had to tow a heavy trailer.

Originally Posted by NO2
The 2.7 uses both DI and port injection, so you won't ever have to de-carbon your intake valves. Very clever design to reduce maintenance costs. I'd get the 2.7 over the 3.5 unless I had to tow a heavy trailer.

Can you point to any real verified carbon build up issues on the 2.7 specifically in the non port injected versions?

The dual injection setup addresses an emissions issue that arose on DI only engines.

We have an 18 with the 2.7. Great driving motor! Plenty of power for daily driving, lifetime average economy is almost 19mpg but if seems to suffer from fuel dilution badly. By 5k miles the oil level is even or higher than when freshly filled and smells obviously of gas.

Glad to see that 300k mile motor above but I'm think this one will get traded in at 99k miles. With my experience with the 2014 3.5EBi just don't trust them, plus if it's getting this much fuel solution then, well...

Yeah, 2.7 EB is a really nice engine. It's been regularly discussed around here in the F-150 setting. I'm liking mine so far.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
it's well proven and solid as a rock. I love mine but be advised if towing it's mpg's drop by about 40 - 50%, or at least mine did. Guess that's a trade-off to the otherwise exceptional fuel economy (and power) when running around unladen.

Well, yes, towing requires more hp, thus it will burn more gas. Real question becomes, does it burn more or less than anything else? often the trailer sets the amount of horsepower required, weight in the hills or air drag as a constant, thus what turns gas into hp in the most efficient manner? Big lumbering V8 or turbo motor at lower rpm? IIRC the EB's were supposed to offer good mpg unloaded which is how most F150 buyers use their trucks. While offering good power too.

Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Here's an example that's now past 300,000 miles on only scheduled maintenance, dealer oil changes w/ bulk Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend when the oil life monitor says to:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/100-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/

Probably the easiest real world situation for any engine, high miles, short time, highway driven, south-east US.
Not surprised its doing well.

300,000 miles is 300,000 miles. And the guy just does dealer oil changes using the OLM which I believe has been equating to around every 10,000 miles mentioned in the thread somewhere. Double the 5000 mile OCI everyone claims is necessary on this engine. Down play it all you want, it's still impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back