2019 Honda Ridgeline, thoughts?

I am thinking of buying a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL or RTL-E. I test drove an RTL and liked it a lot. Is there anything to watch out for on these? I would like to hear from Ridgeline owners especially.

I love my 2017 (gen 2) RTL-E - its probably the best all round vehicle Ive ever owned.

Not sure there is anything to watch out for - there are some nitpicks iek any vehicle. the rear doors dont open far enough but that easily solved with a cheap kit.

Panel fitment was a bit sloppy but the dealership tweaked it for me and its pretty good now. Pretty sure that was year one stuff.

It tows great and if anything is under rated, rides smooth. Its fast, and if you baby it with gentle driving it will return 30+ indicated on its face.

Im super happy with mine and would buy again in a heartbeat.

UD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiaY4JY_kAY

Last edited:
The Ridgeline is a modern El Camino, in a good way. Not bad for hauling trash and light duty stuff, which is how many trucks are used. I think they have some useful storage areas too. Know of folks that have had issues with the injectors on the 3.5 V6, but otherwise solid with good power and decent fuel mileage.

It's a timing belt motor, so there's that. If you plan to own past (105k? not sure on interval) be sure to be prepared for that.

I don't know if VCM (cylinder deactivation) is a problem or not. You might want to read up into how to deactivate, or if you are going to not be worried about.

I forget if you can put the transmission into first gear, and hold it there. I think you can't. For me, I wouldn't accept that, too many times I've been driving on grass or whatever and want to lock it into first gear for max engine braking or whatever.

Outside that, look into tire replacement cost, make sure you are ok with that. Honda transmission oil and I don't know if they use anything special in the rear diff or not. Not it's expensive compared to depreciation but just something to look into. Watch vids on youtube, some of those guys can show good and bad and really give you a walk through without leaving your couch, then if you go in you know what you really want to look at.

I've always really liked the idea of the Ridgeline and seriously considered owning one. I already own a Pilot they are very similar as far as interior and drivetrain. I didn't follow through on the purchase but still really like the idea of this kind of vehicle. The 3.5 is solid (although mine is being a PITA as far as break-in metals) and the 6-speed auto seems better behaved than the 9-speed used in the Pilot.

I have owned a 2007 RTL for 5 years and it has been absolutely trouble free. I know it is not the same generation or body style but it still shares quite a bit with the newer models. When I drove the second generation I was immediately at home in it. Don't listen to the haters. The Ridgeline is a very comfortable an and capable truck. I have loaded down the bed with a ton of quickcrete while pulling a trailer loaded with lumber for a fence project, Moved cars on a flatbed trailer on two different occasions, and towed a minivan 125 miles on a tow dolly. I have also hauled motorcycles in the bed on several occasions. The ride is car like and the AWD system handles inclement weather like a champ. The only thing we have had to do to ours is routine maintenance. The in bed trunk is a seriously handy feature as well.

Last edited:
Shallow bed depth, 5' long bed, expensive 100k service ($2k+ for Timing Belt, Valve Adjust and Plugs) and VCM. Most of the modern features (ADAS and Carplay) are only available in the upper end trims.

Other than that, it is a great "truck" if you only need an open bed.

You can get the timing belt done a lot cheaper besides the dealership. Plugs, you can do yourself, easy enough. I wouldn't sweat the valve adjustment unless you hear a lot of ticking. I know a ton of V6 owners that have never even thought about valve adjustments and are over 200K miles. VCM has greatly improved since they came out in the 8th generations of Accords. You can get a VCMuzzler II, which a LOT of Honda 3.5 V6 owners, self included, have done to keep it from activating the VCM. Mileage only dropped 1 mpg for me. I'd go with the RTL-E, some killer features on there. I almost got that until I came across my 17 Accord coupe.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I wouldn't sweat the valve adjustment unless you hear a lot of ticking. I know a ton of V6 owners that have never even thought about valve adjustments and are over 200K miles. VCM has greatly improved since they came out in the 8th generations of Accords.

Not true - the exhaust valves will get tight due to valve seat recession, especially on the J35's.

It's more truck than most of the people who respond here suggesting it's flawed use or need themselves. Considering most privately owned trucks spend most of their time with empty beds and no trailer hitched it really is ideal for more people than will admit it. I know two people with the new body style and they love it. One guy uses his for a lot of towing/hauling right up to the limit, no issues. A coworker is going to trade his Frontier on one but is waiting for the 2020.

Don't listen to those who scoff about the Ridgeline. If it the right fit for you it will be a fine vehicle. I know its different but I loved our Honda Odyssey (lost in the flood) and they shared some components.The Ridgeline is well engineered.

Anecdotal comments only. My 2007, purchased new in 11/2006, has been nearly flawless. I'm driving less in recent years, but only two things have broken and needed repair in 13 years: the right front driveshaft (leaking axle boot) and the latches that keep the two rear seat legs folded in an upright position. That's a design flaw where the parts and labor quote was ridiculous so I use bungee cords to fold the seat legs up.

When I had the water pump and timing belt replaced at 9 years and 74K miles (due to age only), my mechanic told me I did it just in time because the hydraulic tensioner was leaking and soon to fail. A new one came with the Dayco timing belt kit. That job cost me $965 at an indie shop four years ago. The original Michelin LTX tires lasted 59 K miles before developing sidewall cracks. I've had one new set of front and rear brake pads, new front rotors (AC Delco Professional), two batteries and just routine maintenance otherwise. My average OCI has been 5,600 miles, which is usually about 30% on the OLM. I've used Havoline full synthetic twice but have used mostly Conoco Phillips synthetic blends (76, Kendall or Conoco). I had to use a Fumoto adapter to install their drain valve, but it was easy. Oil changes are a cinch, and mine uses zero oil between oil changes.

I have done some trailer towing (52 inch ZTR from NC to PA and a 1987 Alfa Romeo from NC to PA) with no problems. But don't mistake the Ridgeline for a conventional pickup. Instead it's got great utility and to me rides like a Honda Accord compared to some average trucks. Mileage is not the best: I've gotten as high as 21 mpg on the road and usually 17-18 in mixed driving. The new ones get better gas mileage. Most hard core pickup owners poo poo the Ridgeline, but it's been near perfect for me. At 93K miles, it's just now broken in.

Send me a private message if you have any further questions. Good luck shopping.

I've never owned or driven one, but looking at the specs (payload, towing capacity, etc) it's very comparable to my Ranger (which is another truck people don't give nearly enough credit and underestimate its abilities). I would definitely consider buying one if I had to replace my Ranger. I've carried over 1,200 lbs in the bed of my truck, and have towed up to 4,500 lbs. I'd expect the Ridgeline to be able to do the same.

I saw one today parked next to a Ranger at Lowe's I want to like it, but the Ranger looks so much nicer and is about the same size.

What are you doing with it?

I've wondered about the 2 wheel drive at the boat ramp? On one hand the front wheels are out of the slime, but they are unloaded. I'm talking a couple of 800 pound jetskis here. Anyone?

Back