2.0 ecoboost hard on oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by ARB1977
I don't think ecoboost engines aren't as hard on oil as Honda 1.5LT engines. Our 1.5LT had 1.5 qrts of fuel during a 6K oil.

Isn't that something like better than 20% fuel dilution? You don't have an old UOA to show us that?

It might be more than 20%. Those sumps barely hold 4 quarts.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I don't think ecoboost engines aren't as hard on oil as Honda 1.5LT engines. Our 1.5LT had 1.5 qrts of fuel during a 6K oil.

Isn't that something like better than 20% fuel dilution? You don't have an old UOA to show us that?

But at 20% even think of the great protection your oil must not be giving your car LOL.

I know we are drifting off the main topic here but if ARB is having that much fuel dilution then that should warrant a trip to the service department to get it recorded. That is way too much.

crazy2.gif

Last edited:
I know we are drifting off the main topic here but if ARB is having that much fuel dilution then that should warrant a trip to the service department to get it recorded. That is way too much.

How does the service department remedy a problem that was engineered into the car without some kind of a factory retrofit?

The first step is to get the issue on record. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a software update that helped with this? Maybe he hasn't had that done.

We have heard a lot of stories here on these engines but this one is really severe.

The first step is to get the issue on record. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a software update that helped with this? Maybe he hasn't had that done.

We have heard a lot of stories here on these engines but this one is really severe.

Right about the time is when I started to happen. Before that barely any rise. Right about then the wife wanted to trade it in not for the fuel issue but wanted something bigger. She got a 19 Pilot.

I hate playing the cat and mouse game especially when comes to an issue. Like most of us we trouble shoot for ourselves. Could I've take it in, yeah. Could I run a thicker oil and called it a day, absolutely. But we're glad we got rid it.

Up to that point the olm down to 15% would be 7500 miles.

All my direct injection vehicles turn the oil black. We have a little Kia Rio in the fleet and it is just as bad as my 2.0 EB in that regards.

Personally, I don't like straight GDI engines. The carbon issues on the intake valves are a real headache and while frequent oil changes help, it isn't a complete solution. The complete solution is port injection + direct injection and the car companies know it. It is just an expensive "fix" for a new whiz-bag technology.

What am I missing?
I have a DI Hyundai 3.8 withe over 120k
Had a Hyundai DI 5.0 until recently with 70k
An f150 3.5 eb that had over 100k
An f150 3.5 eb with over 110k
A mustang 2.3 eb with over 60k

When is this massive carbon on the valves issue going to get me?

Originally Posted by BeerCan
What am I missing?

Ha... it is an OCD issue for sure. Some vehicles never seem to have an issue that shows up in normal driving. If you look at the valves though they are caked with carbon. It is for sure an issue with increasing the likelihood of LSPI, poor idle and driveability issues.

I'd recommend not taking the opportunity to look at your intake valves though. Ignorance is bliss.

OP here I think I'll just stick with 5,000 oil changes using the QSUD I've been using. I think the oil life monitor might get me to 7,500 miles. The oil is almost black after 1,500 miles including a lot of short trips.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the color of the oil. If you stick with qsud you can do a uoa or 2 to see how it's holding up and make a decision from there.

Originally Posted by KevinP
What am I missing?

Ha... it is an OCD issue for sure. Some vehicles never seem to have an issue that shows up in normal driving. If you look at the valves though they are caked with carbon. It is for sure an issue with increasing the likelihood of LSPI, poor idle and driveability issues.

I'd recommend not taking the opportunity to look at your intake valves though. Ignorance is bliss.

I don't think I would call it ignorance. I would say it's FUD being propagated by people who get convinced by a few instances of problems. There are many thousands of DI engines with high mileage and no problems.

I have a 2017 Fusion 2.0 with 44k. I've done two UOA's with Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 FS. Between 6-7k intervals. Each looked good with a hair of fuel dilution. Oil had sheared a bit to around 20 but TBN looked good. I run at 7k OCI's with a fram ultra. You will find differing opinions and you'll have to decide for yourself how you want to play it. Not oil related but engine related, use premium fuel for you EB. I know you don't have to but it will run smoother with a touch more power.

So the answer to DI is to add PI. Glad I have a PI engine. What are we talking about in mpg and power between an engine of same liters DI versus PI on a non turbo engine or turbo engine.

Ya if I had a turbo direct gas injection engine, I would probably do 4-5k mile OCIs just because of their strong reputation for oil dilution. Good oil is cheap nowadays.

What am I missing?

I agree. I don't worry about intake valve deposits anymore. Out 2.0T has been sooting up the tailpipes since new (roughly 190K miles) and still runs like new. The Sportage doesn't expel even a hint of soot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back